Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 07:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,340 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 27 year old female, starting to work at DC this summer.
My work will be at Scott Circle. (16th and mass, rhode island, new hampshire)
I am in the middle of housing search, and I cannot decide where to live.

Right now, my choices are Dupont Circle and Penn Quarter.
Dupont because it is literally right next to work, and I presume that the neighborhood is quite safe, and Penn Quarter because I think it'd be cool to live near White House, while being in a fairly close distance from work.

I am not exactly sure how long I will live in DC, (shortest being 9 months, and longest being 5 year+), and I just make the most out of my time there.

I am a bit worried that Dupont, being too quiet and residential, might not have "DC qualities", and provide me with some of DC experiences.
For Penn Quarter, I am wouldn't like it if the area is too "touristy" (sidewalk full of tourists, etc), or crowded.

I am not familiar with the transportation system in DC, so I have no idea if I should consider being close to metro..

I have also considered Foggy Bottom, but I noticed that the area is pretty much occupied by GWU, and I do not want college kids to roam around my neighborhood.

I think I will be doing some drinking and there will be some getting home around 10-11 days, so I want somewhere that is very very safe, and preferably with some nightlife going on.

Could you tell me about your experience/opinion on those areas? Also, if there are some other neighborhoods that I should consider, please make suggestions! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 08:40 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyjahn View Post
Hello,

I am a 27 year old female, starting to work at DC this summer.
My work will be at Scott Circle. (16th and mass, rhode island, new hampshire)
I am in the middle of housing search, and I cannot decide where to live.

Right now, my choices are Dupont Circle and Penn Quarter.
Dupont because it is literally right next to work, and I presume that the neighborhood is quite safe, and Penn Quarter because I think it'd be cool to live near White House, while being in a fairly close distance from work.

I am not exactly sure how long I will live in DC, (shortest being 9 months, and longest being 5 year+), and I just make the most out of my time there.

I am a bit worried that Dupont, being too quiet and residential, might not have "DC qualities", and provide me with some of DC experiences.
For Penn Quarter, I am wouldn't like it if the area is too "touristy" (sidewalk full of tourists, etc), or crowded.

I am not familiar with the transportation system in DC, so I have no idea if I should consider being close to metro..

I have also considered Foggy Bottom, but I noticed that the area is pretty much occupied by GWU, and I do not want college kids to roam around my neighborhood.

I think I will be doing some drinking and there will be some getting home around 10-11 days, so I want somewhere that is very very safe, and preferably with some nightlife going on.

Could you tell me about your experience/opinion on those areas? Also, if there are some other neighborhoods that I should consider, please make suggestions! Thank you.
You will be closer to the white house in some way in DuPont Circle. It's also a safer neighborhood. I think it is a good fit. But Penn Quarter is far more touristy though because many of the museums are in that area.

In terms of college kids, they are all over town, not so much on a Boston type level, but still pretty much everywhere. Largely because there are college kids everywhere. Tourist though, they will be everywhere closer to downtown. DC has a large number of tourists during the peak season. The only way to avoid them is to live in the more residential neighborhoods.

You should always consider being close to the metro. With that being said if you can afford DuPont, and if you will be in DuPont...you will be close to the metro.

With DuPont...It is no longer in it's gayborhood glory days, at the same time there is still plenty to do. If you want a more active area U St, Adams Morgan, and 14th St are all within a short walk. DC is not that big, and you will find that out rather quickly.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:59 PM

thanks so much for information! it's really helpful!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:04 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
I would definitely avoid Foggy Bottom and Penn Quarter if you want a real DC experience. I'm not personally a big fan of Dupont Circle (it's a little touristy itself) but it's not terrible...

Adams Morgan/U Street/14th Street/Logan Circle are all the rave right now for locals.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:52 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,288,061 times
Between Dupont and PQ I would vote for Dupont Circle. It has more of a true neighborhood feel and it's close to other eating and drinking areas like Adams-Morgan, Logan Circle, U-Street, even Georgetown isn't too far.

Penn Quarter isn't bad. But, it is basically an office zone with some apartment buildings thrown in. The bars and restaurants are very much aimed at the tourist/commuter crowd. Not a lot of local flavor. Foggy Bottom is a little bland and over-run with GW students. Also, surprisingly it doesn't have much in the in the way of dining and bars. Prices seem kind high for what you get.

All three areas are pretty safe. Penn Quarter has some issues with unsupervised teenagers hanging out around the gallery place metro stops. Most of the time it is harmless, but it does lead to issues sometimes, particularly late at night.

Dupont and Foggy Bottom are very safe neighborhood, but they are quiet at night on the side streets. DC still has a pretty big problem with muggings. Don't live in fear, but be aware of your surrounding and use street smarts (walk in groups, stick to main streets, take uber if it is really late or you are drunk, etc.) and you should be fine.

You might also want to consider Logan Circle. It is right next to Dupont Circle. It is conceptually pretty similar. But, has probably actually probably passed Dupont circle as the "hottest place to live" in the past 2-3 years.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:10 PM

thanks everyone! i will keep in mind the information you provided.
I am leaning towards dupont! thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC