Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 06:02 PM

25 posts, read 67,756 times

Advertisements

Help me please! I just moved to the DC metro area and I'm currently terrified that I made the wrong choice, because I'm having trouble finding areas that feel right to me.

Here is what I would like to find:

A few young folks, a few older folks, a few families, everybody is welcome.

Bookshops with creaky wooden stairs and eclectic collections, cafe or neighborhood pub where the tender will eventually know who you are.

Someplace where the starving artist and the affluent ceo will sit and have a conversation over coffee and this is normal.

A few people with purple and/or alternatively interesting hair

Charactery/Neighborhoody feeling

Some variance in ethnicity/religion, and definitely lgbt friendly

Basically I want to find a Greenwich Village / San Francisco style location somewhere within or near to the beltway, but not right downtown... I need to park my car I would like to avoid what I've been told is the stereotypical soul-lessness as much as possible. I want a neighborhood I can eventually call home and be able to point out the quirks and hidden gems.

If anyone can help me it'd be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 PM

25 posts, read 67,756 times
Anyone? Pretty please?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Well, I don't live in the DC area yet, but I'll be moving there soon. I've looked at a number of neighborhoods in person, specifically targeting some of the attributes you mentioned in my own search. Based on what I've seen, I'd suggest checking out Takoma Park (straddles DC/MD border), Old Town Alexandria, the U Street corridor in the District just west of Howard University Hospital, Cleveland Park (also in the District), and perhaps Silver Spring.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:29 AM

228 posts, read 920,041 times
I wish I had some good suggestions, but DC doesn't do that kind of Bohemia too well. Takoma Park is probably your best bet, and it is a really nice area. There's some cafes, a good farmers market, and one of the best acoustic music stores around. In DC itself most neighborhoods make the jump from 'hood' to 'deluxe' in one step... there isn't a lot in between that has the sort of feeling you're looking for.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:13 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,210 times
DC isn't that eclectic, or has that big "artist" scene. THere are museums but there is no big artist community. You won't find the odd piercings or funky hair (often) cause most people dress very conservatively. But they are around, you just don't see a lot of them.

Takoma Park as someone pointed out has a bit of it, possibly Dupont circle area Adams Morgan in DC. Those are the closest I would say.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:22 PM

49 posts, read 179,489 times
Default Dupont

I think Dupont is your best bet. Its very open minded has some local type places - both upscale and not upscale and attracts both the afterwork professional crowd and more free spirited types to the cafe's etc. U street is certainly diverse and more "artisty" with some cool new restaurants and such but you will lose some of the professionals when you hit that area - however they are there to eat they just don't necessarily live there so that might be okay.

I used to live on Hill and I saw a decent mix of people there esp in terms of young and old - young hill staffers, recent grads and old political types or professor/artist types that are long time hill lifers.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:38 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
If you have enough money to secure off-street parking, can afford the high housing costs, and can use the Metro to commute to work, then Dupont Circle might meet your needs, except for the fact that it's almost right downtown.

However, although it is most assuredly gay-friendly, it's not particularly diverse, as you will find very few political/religious conservatives there, nor will you find many large families or black single parents. The elderly population is also rather limited, aside from the homeless guys/gals.

Takoma Park is probably your best bet. You might also try the Del Ray neighborhood in Alexandria. You didn't mention where your job/school is located, but obviously that would be a primary consideration.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:52 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,350 times
If you are looking for a Art community. The only one that comes to mind is the New Art Community in Hyattsville. Here is the Link

Arts District Hyattsville: Urban Rowhomes & Live-work Homes in Hyattsville, MD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC