Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:54 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
NoMa is coming along nicely, but overall still remains hood. The apartments there are still overpriced and not worth living there dealing with all the BS at that price point.
Meh.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Currently there are 967 residential units under construction in NoMa and 6,448 planned for the area. 1,046 hotel units are planned. 545,649 retail units planned and 90,500 under construction. For office space, there are 9,179,494 units planned and 366,000 under construction. It also has Union Market which is nice.

Anyone who moves to NoMa will watch it become less and less "hood" by the week. And its not even "hood" right now.

What area of DC do you think can charge NoMa prices without being "overpriced?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 07:17 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Meh.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Currently there are 967 residential units under construction in NoMa and 6,448 planned for the area. 1,046 hotel units are planned. 545,649 retail units planned and 90,500 under construction. For office space, there are 9,179,494 units planned and 366,000 under construction. It also has Union Market which is nice.

Anyone who moves to NoMa will watch it become less and less "hood" by the week. And its not even "hood" right now.

What area of DC do you think can charge NoMa prices without being "overpriced?"
I don't care how many apartments are in NoMa. I care about amenities and the food scene S-U-C-K-S. Not to mention it's very quite and boring on the weekend.

Same for Brookland. Great it's gentrifying but it's still boring and the amenities still suck.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:26 PM

32 posts, read 34,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
False.

NoMa is no longer "crap". It is a good area now. Most people still don't know this.. which is nice because it keeps the prices low. In a few years people will figure it out and prices will fly up.

What is your price limit? That makes a big difference. Apartments near the Metro with nice facilities will cost you.

I say move to NoMa while its still relatively cheap. Its a hidden gem. A lot of people in DC never go there because they assume its "hood" so they have no idea its a different place now.

If you work in Silver Spring near the Red line then driving shouldn't be an issue because you can Metro. But if you have to drive, then living in the "fun" parts of DC will probably make your commute long. However, since you will be commuting OUT of the city when everyone else is commuting IN.. I can't imagine the commute being more than 40 minutes.
I would like to spend between 1500-2000$ for a studio. I mean, I would not mind paying 2000$ for a studio with jacuzzi, indoor pool, gym, sundeck... However, I would not pay 2000$ for a studio without pool and spa...

Is it possible?

Does anyone know some place with these characteristics?

Thanks,

Old 02-17-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuagmireRules View Post
I would like to spend between 1500-2000$ for a studio. I mean, I would not mind paying 2000$ for a studio with jacuzzi, indoor pool, gym, sundeck... However, I would not pay 2000$ for a studio without pool and spa...

Is it possible?

Does anyone know some place with these characteristics?

Thanks,
Yes, that is very possible in many parts of DC. The more popular and "hip" areas might be higher than that or similar in price with less amenities.

But if you can go as high as $2,000 then you should have no issues finding a nice place with what you want.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:45 PM

580 posts, read 777,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I don't care how many apartments are in NoMa. I care about amenities and the food scene S-U-C-K-S. Not to mention it's very quite and boring on the weekend.

Same for Brookland. Great it's gentrifying but it's still boring and the amenities still suck.
Guessing you have not been to Kinship, yet.

Oops. Technically not in NoMa. (missed by two blocks west in Mount Vernon)

Old 02-24-2016, 09:18 AM

417 posts, read 594,910 times
It is so easy to meet women in DMV. Most are very attractive and smart so don't worry about meeting women. You can be a jerk with no personality and no job and hit the jackpot here.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:50 AM

808 posts, read 1,679,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
It is so easy to meet women in DMV. Most are very attractive and smart so don't worry about meeting women. You can be a jerk with no personality and no job and hit the jackpot here.
Seriously. You are a perfect example of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:31 PM

32 posts, read 34,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
I think we might have different definition of very attractive. For me it means Adriana Lima or other Victoria Secret model. I would bet there are not too many in DC... Hopefully, I am wrong

Old 02-26-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I think we might have different definition of very attractive. For me it means Adriana Lima or other Victoria Secret model. I would bet there are not too many in DC... Hopefully, I am wrong
There are definitely attractive women in DC. But you won't see models. Its not Miami, LA or NYC.

But there is enough talent to satisfy most men. Not too many fat people in DC either.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:03 AM

587 posts, read 1,412,003 times
Quote:
DC is one of the least attractive cities for both women and men. But there are definitely some diamonds in the rough. In my experience, Northern Virginia has better looking women than Maryland and DC but that isn't saying much.

People in DC tend to have inflated egos and a raging unfounded superiority complex. DC dating is often like online dating in real life. That is, average to frumpy and even downright unattractive women have men worshipping them and constantly stroking their massive egos because there is nothing better around. DC is not like NYC where the streets are paved with beautiful women. DC culture outside of work revolves around bar culture very much and bar culture is shallow and not real. Find a place to meet women outside of bars is my suggestion.

The upside about DC is that it is very easy to stand out if you are an out of towner. DC men tend to be short, feminine (lacking body hair, too skinny, don't work manly blue collar jobs, dress in too tight clothes and are snobby status whores) and boring. If you are *bonus* tall, good looking and have an ounce of personality and stand out amongst the DC area drones with whatever unique hometown charm and flavor you have, you can easily clean up with the best looking ladies in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: