Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 02:43 PM

850 posts, read 1,132,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I am not having a go at you but I am just assessing.

I swear that it's a common thought amongst many people with this mentality that deliver the same response, in the same "you should know" fashion, and with the same disconnect for the original poster. I can name 50 social issues and all of you will respond with the same "you can say this about every city" response and in the same above stated fashion.

It's so fascinating and I am really seeing the truth in how our brains are wired. Nothing against you but I see the people that give these responses have the same mentality for all other issues- across the board.

So it's not really anyone's fault but you have to realize that it's not exactly socially welcoming. This is why I speak of the not being able to relate to the original posters because many people assume it's common knowledge. That is the disconnect- not everyone has the same experiences.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I never agree with you but you are so right Carlingtonian.

I love economics and guess what?!!! A baby in DC is expensive!! Put $600 a month in everyones pockets and I bet you babys will pop out everywhere (ask Germany).

Lastly, you work on Capitol Hill (like I used to) and Capitol Hill is notorious for paying like ****.

Please tell me you work for some conservative Republican and complaining about your health care...make my day!

Conservatives on Capitol Hill are known to have the highest spending on staff and flights, just google it.
I work for a fed contractor in DC. I do IT work. I'm not with the gov. I make good.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
See, again. It's NOT that you are off but you are disconnected from the poster. I am not trying to play psychologist but the person has some reasonable questions. He want's to know why is it specific to DC. But again, it's a DISCONNECT- probably due to lack of social knowledge.

I myself realized last year that so many people I know, whom are well into their late 20s, 30s, and 40, that live in DC, Arlington, and nearby MD, they all have roommates and not married. i was shocked by this. It wasn't like this in Downtown Miami where many south americans and cubans live.

It also has to do with culture- Who are moving into DC in terms of ethnicity? How many of these people have deep relationships? How many of these people have roommates? How many of these people are deeply rooted in culture? How many of these people have a great sense of community? How many of these people even have a car to find culture outside of their own inner space?

Do the math, is it like that In Sao Paolo Brazil? St. Petersburg Russia where culture and tradition is big? What about Bangkok, Thailand? Why stop at NYC or DC?

Let's have a discussion without this "OMG, you should know what I know cause I am so smart" attitude.

Thanks,

That's what I'm kind of feeling.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfrom73 View Post
I'm kinda curious as to how you can be so sure about how raising kids is so stressful if you never raised any ?? And what are SINKS and DINKS ? Not judging anyone but, on a human level....there comes a time when you SHOULD want to reproduce simply cause of the fact that somebody gave you a life....? I mean having more $$ to yourself is nice but....
Because if you don't have kids that makes you special!!! If you look at parenting from SHALLOW point of view it's nerve racking, high cost, high stress etc etc etc...

In terms of cost, instead of finding ways of saving money and avoiding cost, you can find ways of making more money while enjoying fruits (that's what I did). I know many people my age who make much less than me. People only generally make as much as they need. If you are motivated enough and need money you can work hard to get that much. If you are single, no kids your not going to negotiate your salary that much.

But then again in DC, I highly suspect people are going to judge you by your income, education, occupation and wealth!

Old 02-18-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I don't have kids, but just thinking about costs freaks me out. This isn't the 50s or 60s, where you can have 8 children who will work on the farm, can send them off to college because it costs 10 grand for 4 years. There's some stats that show raising a kid now until he or she is 18 will cost about 300 grand. My high school alma mater costs 20 grand per year now. I graduated from that school 13 years ago and it was probably half the price as it is now. Think about it, the high school I'd like to send my kid to would probably just as much as a university or college by the time he gets to enroll. That's insane for one kid, let alone having 2 or 3?

I see kids as a blessing, at one point in my life I was all about the "have 2 kids, white picket fence" American dream. I'm getting married later this year and my fiance and I both agree that kids wouldn't complete our lives. We would be just as happy with kids as without.

See this is one of those things where society pressures you into doing something you don't want to do. Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean that you should do it as well. Don't conform to society and it's habits, its pressures. Do what you want to do. I'm getting to that age where a lot of people are getting married and having a kid within the year. Why? What's the rush? Because grandma is bored and wants a grandbaby? If a child completes YOUR life, then that's great. A child wouldn't complete mine. Everyone is different
You are bitching about 300K??? That's nothing!!! <no sarcasm>

Old 02-18-2016, 06:35 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,946 times
Quote:
I am not having a go at you but I am just assessing.

I swear that it's a common thought amongst many people with this mentality that deliver the same response, in the same "you should know" fashion, and with the same disconnect for the original poster. I can name 50 social issues and all of you will respond with the same "you can say this about every city" response and in the same above stated fashion.

It's so fascinating and I am really seeing the truth in how our brains are wired. Nothing against you but I see the people that give these responses have the same mentality for all other issues- across the board.

So it's not really anyone's fault but you have to realize that it's not exactly socially welcoming. This is why I speak of the not being able to relate to the original posters because many people assume it's common knowledge. That is the disconnect- not everyone has the same experiences.
Wrong. This is why you continue to post so many foolish things in this forum. You apparently cannot read. I never said anything about "every other city." Look at what I actually wrote: "people who live in big cities like DC or NYC." So now is NYC "every other city"? Are you actually disputing the fact that people in DC and NYC tend to have kids less often than people in the suburbs? No you're not, because it's an obvious fact that is common knowledge.
Only an extremely naive person would assume that everyone gets married and has kids and then be SHOCKED to meet people who don't conform to that standard.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:47 PM

417 posts, read 594,810 times
Let's just be real, our society thinks childless people are losers. We are not biologically successful and propagating the species. I waited until I was more financially ready and until I got married(no prospects). I have to face facts that I am a loser, it is what it is.

BTW, married people are better off economically than singles. Married men make more money and have more than single men. Same with women. How many single men or women have become president or run companies or are the wealthiest people so it's rubbish that singles make more and have more. People like to promote people like themselves. Not a single, childless person!! If your single and can't see that then your not observant which is why laws are so marriage oriented!!

Old 02-18-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Let's just be real, our society thinks childless people are losers. We are not biologically successful and propagating the species. I waited until I was more financially ready and until I got married(no prospects). I have to face facts that I am a loser, it is what it is.

BTW, married people are better off economically than singles. Married men make more money and have more than single men. Same with women. How many single men or women have become president or run companies or are the wealthiest people so it's rubbish that singles make more and have more. People like to promote people like themselves. Not a single, childless person!! If your single and can't see that then your not observant which is why laws are so marriage oriented!!
Based on the statements from some on this thread.... A money sucking demon flew from out from my wife's vagina.

Or having children is like having AIDS?

Old 02-18-2016, 10:31 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post

Only you have it in your mind that childless people are losers because you have pretty obvious extreme depression, and likely a great deal of baggage because you could not find a partner and have kids. Those of us who are childfree by choice, have no such baggage, we just don't like kids and want no part of them, and live far happier lives as a result. I had no problem finding a partner, but want absolutely no part of having children, ever. Don't say I will change my mind, I am old enough not to want them and people don't question me anymore. There is a reality is those who are childfree by choice moving into cities who are pushing back of the pro-natalism. Many women, myself included, do not like children and want no part in them. Likewise there are many men and women who want no part in the marriage thing either. We are perfectly happy with this

It's not my fault your life is sad and pathetic, but its pretty obvious you have some major personal issues. Nobody wants a relationship a desperate person with too much baggage, no matter the sex.

I can also tell you it is so much easier to get in a relationship when one is vocally childfree. This is a personal choice, and there is a large audience now of adults who have no problem pushing back on the BS societal pressure, which is falling apart. There are too many damn kids in this world already. A large portion by people who either should not be having them, or didn't want them. There is no reason to add to it.

Either way, don't pressure people to have kids they don't want. But many of us are using our capital to gain footholds in cities and turn them into adult focused places, where child-free is the pervading view.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:32 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
Based on the statements from some on this thread.... A money sucking demon flew from out from my wife's vagina.

Or having children is like having AIDS?
Having children is considered by some an STD worse than AIDS, but only if you do not want kids. That is how many of us who don't want children view it. So yes...that is an apt viewpoint for those of us who are childfree by choice.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 02-18-2016 at 11:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC