Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 05:36 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
The reason why is because people are now slaves to their job and everything is about career, what degree do you have, who di you work for, yadda yadda. People today are simply wussified servants to the man.

Now I have known the joy of both children and grandchildren and watching them grow, having fun at Christmas cause you actually have a reason to buy gifts, taking them to their baseball game, throwing the ball around, Thanksgiving where friends and families father with kids and sometimes even friends of your kids.

One day your career will come to an end, look how many lost their way of providing during the recent recession and ironically enough it was the white-collar folks hit hardest, the plumbers and truck drivers still went to work.

Its about family values, loving someone more then you love yourself, in todays world everything that was traditional went out the window for more money and power. We stopped believing in god and we stopped believing in family.
I'd rather be a "wussified servant to the man", whatever that means, than be someone like you who laughably thinks that everyone should live the same way. Seriously, most people learned when they were adolescents that not everyone wants the same things out of life. The fact that you are old enough to have GRANDCHILDREN and still haven't learned this is frankly embarrassing.
It's great that starting a family made you happy but only a fool would think that what makes him happy would make everyone happy. It's like if I were to say that because I like painting my house blue, therefore everyone should paint their houses blue, or because I like eating spicy food, therefore everyone should like spicy food.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:39 PM

814 posts, read 911,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Either you get educated, get a career, and live an upper or upper middle class lifestyle, or you die a worthless peasant. Yeah...I consider most people worthless peasants. Like it or not, those of us who have careers are the ones who actually contribute to society.

Actually with the last recession white collar people with educations were NOT hit the hardest. I really think you don't understand the data that is out there. We barely got dinged, our unemployment rate stayed below 6%, and quickly fell to 2.5%. Our income barely dropped. Do you know who got hit hard, those without a bachelors degree or higher. 10%+ unemployment for a period there, even worse in some places. So please spare me the white collar professionals got hit the hardest. We barely got hit at all. It's the non-professionals that got hit the hardest.

I ended up far better off as a result of the recession. So spare me...

Sticking to tradition means nothing. You either get educated, get a good career, and don't have kids you cannot afford, or you die a peasant. Instead we have idiots who think they are exceptions. Also people like you who think those of us in the professional class got slammed, when we barely got touched by the GR while everybody else backslid. Then again, you strike me as somebody who thinks with regards to anecdotal evidence rather than looking at actual data.
It was all over the news. You do not recall the arguments of trade college vs traditional college? You dont recall the thousands of students who graduated during the recession and could not find a job but had 26k or more of student loan debt to pay back?

Old 02-19-2016, 06:17 PM

814 posts, read 911,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I'd rather be a "wussified servant to the man", whatever that means, than be someone like you who laughably thinks that everyone should live the same way. Seriously, most people learned when they were adolescents that not everyone wants the same things out of life. The fact that you are old enough to have GRANDCHILDREN and still haven't learned this is frankly embarrassing.
It's great that starting a family made you happy but only a fool would think that what makes him happy would make everyone happy. It's like if I were to say that because I like painting my house blue, therefore everyone should paint their houses blue, or because I like eating spicy food, therefore everyone should like spicy food.
America was at its best when we had drive-ins, hamburger and malt shops, pretty girls delivering your order on rollerskates. America has a history and a Constitution, some things should remain traditional. You younger folks today are progressives, we were preservists, we believed in family and church and Sunday dinners, and staying married, young couples today give up to easy, throw it away too quickly.

I was lucky to grow up without playstations and smart phones, we rode bicycles and skateboards, played street hockey, kick the can, good stuff.

We also had more options, college you could attend without high student loan debt, I used my GI Bill and my wife got scholarships cause she is super smart, like star wars geek smart. I like mechanics and technical things so I got a technical diploma in refrigeration mechanics, wife has a college degree in management and accounting.

Unlike your generation our generation never had a sense of entitlement and we never looked down upon a working man like some of you do today, some of you really have no idea but you attended university which is loaded with brainwashing liberals so its not your fault, you are just reciting what you were taught.

Each generation that has come and gone offers something important to the world, even you millenials have some nifty ideas but keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with tradition, sharing your life with someone isnt as bad as you might think.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:02 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
It was all over the news. You do not recall the arguments of trade college vs traditional college? You dont recall the thousands of students who graduated during the recession and could not find a job but had 26k or more of student loan debt to pay back?
I don't think you understood the nature of the news. Yes, those who went to college struggled if they graduated during the recession, but those who were in the labor market already for years with a college degree were doing fine. The news was largely over the debt crisis. But make no mistake as bad as the recession was for recent college graduates it was MUCH WORSE for those that were not. That's the problem with people like yourself, you don't have the analytical understanding to put together things, or look at source data. "It was all over the news" No you had confirmation bias and only saw the part of the picture that conformed with your anti-intellectual mindset. Rather than digging deeper into the data, analyzing, and understanding what was going on. Instead you depended on lazy journalism based on anecdote without understanding the complete picture.

Here is the reality...those with a bachelors degree weathered the storm much better than those without. The unemployment numbers and income numbers bear this out. In fact the income gap between those with a degree and those without widened during and after the recession. Those without ended up doing much worse, and they never did as well as those with. Those with a college education may have struggled at first, but overall, they also recovered. Those without still have not fully recovered for either employment or wage growth.

Again, your are proving to be an intellectual lightweight here with no real understanding of the topic, while I actually understand the underlying data. You have no understanding of what happened in the labor market during the recession on a deeper level that requires expertise. Not shocking from a technician. Like most conservatives, you have no idea what you are talking about with regards to economics, and fail to analyze things beyond what you hear on the news. You never actually look at real data with regards to scientific inquiry. This is not the least bit shocking.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 02-19-2016 at 07:40 PM..

Old 02-19-2016, 11:32 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,946 times
Quote:
America was at its best when we had drive-ins, hamburger and malt shops, pretty girls delivering your order on rollerskates. America has a history and a Constitution, some things should remain traditional. You younger folks today are progressives, we were preservists, we believed in family and church and Sunday dinners, and staying married, young couples today give up to easy, throw it away too quickly.

I was lucky to grow up without playstations and smart phones, we rode bicycles and skateboards, played street hockey, kick the can, good stuff.

We also had more options, college you could attend without high student loan debt, I used my GI Bill and my wife got scholarships cause she is super smart, like star wars geek smart. I like mechanics and technical things so I got a technical diploma in refrigeration mechanics, wife has a college degree in management and accounting.

Unlike your generation our generation never had a sense of entitlement and we never looked down upon a working man like some of you do today, some of you really have no idea but you attended university which is loaded with brainwashing liberals so its not your fault, you are just reciting what you were taught.

Each generation that has come and gone offers something important to the world, even you millenials have some nifty ideas but keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with tradition, sharing your life with someone isnt as bad as you might think.
You're a parody, troll account, right? There's no way you're serious with this stuff are you? Do you actually have a point, or do you just wax on like you're in a make believe Norman Rockwell land?

If you're serious, again it's frankly embarrassing that you are this immature at your age. Not everyone wants a family. If you want one, fine, but the fact that you think everyone should live like you do shows a deep simple-mindedness on your part.

I mean, are you really so naive as to believe that it's just a coincidence that the time when you think America was the "best" was also the time you happened to be a youth? A more intelligent person would realize that practically everyone sees the time of his or her youth as the best. Nostalgia does that to you. It doesn't mean the time of your youth was objectively the best. If you were a young man today you would think today was "the best."

Old 02-20-2016, 08:54 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
You're a parody, troll account, right? There's no way you're serious with this stuff are you? Do you actually have a point, or do you just wax on like you're in a make believe Norman Rockwell land?

If you're serious, again it's frankly embarrassing that you are this immature at your age. Not everyone wants a family. If you want one, fine, but the fact that you think everyone should live like you do shows a deep simple-mindedness on your part.

I mean, are you really so naive as to believe that it's just a coincidence that the time when you think America was the "best" was also the time you happened to be a youth? A more intelligent person would realize that practically everyone sees the time of his or her youth as the best. Nostalgia does that to you. It doesn't mean the time of your youth was objectively the best. If you were a young man today you would think today was "the best."
It should also be noted this time was not great for everybody, just hetrosexual white males. For anybody else it sucked. Personally, I rather live today than stuck in a past that was fundamentally broken, and where I had few if any rights. I am not a fan of being a second class citizen.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:50 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
I can tell you the article there regrading the "employer discrimination" happens a lot. When managers and bosses see that you are married they think stable/trustworthy.

They are more likely to hire you. My boss has kids/wife, most managers I've worked with that have interviewed me have kids/spouse. You generally have more power during salary negotiations etc....
What good is having more money if you can't spend most of it on yourself anyway? Lol.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
LOL,

You sound pretty stupid in your last statement. Of course it's not a 1:1 relationship, it's called statistics. Generally speaking (statistically) married people make more than unmarried. There are several reasons for this. But other than the dual income...

1. Others have a general sense of trust with the married (esp those with children)
2. Lower car insurance rates (see num 1)
3. Lower tax bracket
4. Lower crime rate (FBI criminal profiler etc...)
5. Family units are generally bound and stick together, work together and help each other, meaning if something catastrophic happens the family supports each other for the best interest for the family (i.e. unemployment, illness etc...)
6. SS payments are only eligible for married surviving spouses.

I'm just pulling these from my ass....

None of 1-6 applies to a single person.
I don't sound "stupid" in my last statement at all. Its just over your head.

Its impossible to sound stupid when stating FACTS.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
The reason why is because people are now slaves to their job and everything is about career, what degree do you have, who di you work for, yadda yadda. People today are simply wussified servants to the man.

Now I have known the joy of both children and grandchildren and watching them grow, having fun at Christmas cause you actually have a reason to buy gifts, taking them to their baseball game, throwing the ball around, Thanksgiving where friends and families gather with kids and sometimes even friends of your kids.

One day your career will come to an end, look how many lost their way of providing during the recent recession and ironically enough it was the white-collar folks hit hardest, the plumbers and truck drivers still went to work.

Its about family values, loving someone more then you love yourself, in todays world everything that was traditional went out the window for more money and power. We stopped believing in god and we stopped believing in family.
Everything is not for everyone.

Not sure why that is so hard for some people to grasp.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:40 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,730,837 times
This thread has lost its focus and the only direction I can see it going is a huge fight. I'm closing it before it happens and I'm forced to hand out infractions.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC