Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 09:48 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times

Advertisements

First off you can include other parts of the metro area.
Example:
DC
Silver Spring
Bethesda
Arlington
Alexandria
PG County
Fairfax County
Tysons
etc.

You can also include the metro system and public transit in general.

A fun little game.
Where do you see the area in the future in terms of economic health, population, demographics, etc. A little futurism for DC.

I picked it up from other boards here on C-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 10:15 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,607,699 times
Where do I see DC in 20 years? in my rearview mirror. I'll be retired and moving someplace cheaper!

Old 03-27-2016, 12:44 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
No more height limit or a modified version.

Metro is now more reliable. More additional "infill" stations are built on existing lines.

The city has sprawled out more. Neighborhoods like Brookland are now more like Adams Morgan. Anacostia is now a safe area.

Population over 1 Million.

Far out suburbs like areas beyond Vienna, Shady Grove, Glenmont, Brand Avenue, etc. start to decay and become more crime ridden as the majority of DC becomes low crime.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:27 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,735 times
In 20 years...
-The DC/Balt CSA will be the 3rd largest in the country. Bolstered by the booming Baltimore metro area.
-Tysons Corner will undeniably be the largest suburban city with a decent selection of nightlife.
-The new trendy neighborhood in DC is GoHo (Good Hope Rd. SE, formerly Anacostia) and DC will be fully built out.
-Potomac Yard metro station and the K St. Streetcar will be at or near completion, the purple line will still be a talking point for political elections.
-The most viewed topic on this forum will be "Why is dating in DC so bad"

Old 03-27-2016, 10:41 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,557 times
DC will tie its 1950 population of 800,000 if not surpass it
DC will trully be vanilla village as the black community will be less than 30% (but @ the absolute lowest 10-12%)
Latino population will grow somewhat but with high housing costs it wont go past 10-15%
DC gentrification will spillover into parts of PG County and completely conquer Hyattsville, the poor side of Oxon Hill, maybe even Capitol Hts Seat Pleasant and Bladensburg
NoVA wont change much just more townhouses more bad traffic and if someone smart is involved more proposals for public transit expansion
Blacks will still work for the metro and most other lower level govt agencies bc most of the whites in DC will not be working class. At most the staff will diversify somewhat with more english proficient latinos working for the metro. Entry level govt jobs will still be mostly black workers unless US born latinos show more interest in working those positions.
Metro will have expanded somewhat. The silver line to Dulles long finished and better links to BWI and Baltimore
PG County bus services will have expanded.
More black middle class and black upper class people will firmly entrench themselves in Charles county maybe even spilling over into St marys and calvert.
Montgomery county wont change much. Gaithersburg will get a little more working class and poor. Immigrant communities in silver spring will probably gentrify. At most 495 will expand.
DC will firmly be what san francisco and Seattle are now.
DC will still be known as a govt town complete with uptight social climbing and backstabbing govt workers lobbyists and interns.

I personally hope to be far away from it donning an occasional visit to the monuments for my children.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:35 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,687,607 times
By 2036, I expect these to be populations (at least):

Washington DC proper: 850,000

Fairfax County: 1.8 million

Montgomery County: 1.6 million

Prince George's county: 1.2 million

DC MSA: 8 million

DC CSA: 12 million

Old 03-27-2016, 06:03 PM

814 posts, read 911,893 times
Ever see the movie Escape from New York?

Old 03-28-2016, 07:36 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
I wish I could find the report that I think either the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments or the Center for Regional Analysis did for the area and the projected housing costs were astounding -- like average sales costs in the millions.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:02 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
DC will tie its 1950 population of 800,000 if not surpass it
DC will trully be vanilla village as the black community will be less than 30% (but @ the absolute lowest 10-12%)
Latino population will grow somewhat but with high housing costs it wont go past 10-15%
DC gentrification will spillover into parts of PG County and completely conquer Hyattsville, the poor side of Oxon Hill, maybe even Capitol Hts Seat Pleasant and Bladensburg
NoVA wont change much just more townhouses more bad traffic and if someone smart is involved more proposals for public transit expansion
Blacks will still work for the metro and most other lower level govt agencies bc most of the whites in DC will not be working class. At most the staff will diversify somewhat with more english proficient latinos working for the metro. Entry level govt jobs will still be mostly black workers unless US born latinos show more interest in working those positions.
Metro will have expanded somewhat. The silver line to Dulles long finished and better links to BWI and Baltimore
PG County bus services will have expanded.
More black middle class and black upper class people will firmly entrench themselves in Charles county maybe even spilling over into St marys and calvert.
Montgomery county wont change much. Gaithersburg will get a little more working class and poor. Immigrant communities in silver spring will probably gentrify. At most 495 will expand.
DC will firmly be what san francisco and Seattle are now.
DC will still be known as a govt town complete with uptight social climbing and backstabbing govt workers lobbyists and interns.

I personally hope to be far away from it donning an occasional visit to the monuments for my children.
One thing you forgot is Asians. I think their population in DC will increase significantly.

I also, think racial diversity in general will increase significantly for all jobs at all levels and probably much sooner than 20 years. However, DC will probably be at least 70% white by then with more minorities living in the suburbs.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:44 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
One thing you forgot is Asians. I think their population in DC will increase significantly.

I also, think racial diversity in general will increase significantly for all jobs at all levels and probably much sooner than 20 years. However, DC will probably be at least 70% white by then with more minorities living in the suburbs.
If anything, their population has massively declined and continued to do so.

What makes you think the Asian population will rise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: