Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,281 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated college and will be moving to the DC area in June and will be living with 2 friends. Our jobs are kind of spread out with one working just north of Dupont Circle, one working in Crystal City and the third working near the DC convention Center. Never living in the DC area, I have no idea where the good neighborhoods, where the bad neighborhoods are, where the nightlife hotspots are and such. Does anyone have suggestions on areas where I should look for apartments? We are looking for a 3 bedroom, 2+ bath apartment/house close to a metro (no more the a hour commute), close to nightlife hotspots, in safe neighborhoods, and have a budget of around $3,300. So far almost all of the places I have found are big apartment buildings in Arlington.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by cgolde36; 04-05-2016 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 04:05 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Capitol Hill would meet your needs. 3 BR probably means you will need a house.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:29 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
Probably a dozen plus neighborhoods would meet your criteria. Be more specific about the kind of feel you are going for in a neighborhood. For example, what kind of nightlife do you like? The recommendation for the best "hotspot" is going to be completely different for somebody who wants a fratty atmosphere vs. someone who wants a dive bar, hipster-type atmosphere vs. someone who likes crowded clubs blasting EDM.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:46 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Probably a dozen plus neighborhoods would meet your criteria. Be more specific about the kind of feel you are going for in a neighborhood. For example, what kind of nightlife do you like? The recommendation for the best "hotspot" is going to be completely different for somebody who wants a fratty atmosphere vs. someone who wants a dive bar, hipster-type atmosphere vs. someone who likes crowded clubs blasting EDM.
Yeah, very hard to judge.
Plus right now the rental market for 3 BR places is somewhat tight.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:54 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
It might not be ideal, but I would look into Meridian Apartments because their 2 bedroom apartments come with a sun room that a lot, if not most people use as bedrooms. They are also well within your budget. I would consider the Ballston, Courthouse, and Gallery Place locations. You could also get a row house in DC or Arlington with your budget.

North Arlington (Ballston, Virginia Square, Clarendon, Courthouse, and Rosslyn), Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, Capital Hill, and Dupont Circle are more preppy neighborhoods. Clarendon and Dupont Circle are probably the biggest nightlife hubs in that circle.

H Street NE, Shaw, U Street, 14th Street, Logan Circle, and Adams Morgan are more of the hip neighborhoods. U & 14th and Adams Morgan are the biggest nightlife hubs in that circle.

Old Town Alexandria, Pentagon City, and Crystal City are lame and not really for young people so ignore those areas. It's also not to say that someone who's not preppy can't live in a preppy neighborhood.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:42 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,528 times
move to SE

Old 04-06-2016, 09:06 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
3 BR are very hard to find, you are basically looking at a house. Sometimes there is an office or sun room which can be used as another room.

Otherwise you are looking at a house.
In the past this would have been much easier with your budget, but the cost of 3 BR+ has gone up. The median rent is close to $4k in DC for a place that size, especially in a neighborhood closer to nightlife. You may be able to find a house in Petworth or Brookland with that budget. Petworth maybe the better bet since it is not far from U St.

Gomason's suggestions are not necessarily bad, but I would not consider 14th St hip. It's more preppy at the end of the day. I am not sure anything in DC is hip necessarily anymore (or any other city for that matter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC