Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:46 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
I really wish this development could be such that it is not a clean-sweep gentrification move.

You cant just kick out the long term lower-middle class and middle class DC residents from the ghetto areas.

The solution to the predicament in those areas is better and stricter policing, youth outreach and development, combined with non-gentrification-type business and entertainment initiatives ... not just gentrifying the sh** out of every damn corner of the city.
What are non-gentrification-type businesses and how would you finance them across the river? I notice people often give their opinion, but don't state the facts that are backing their opinion up. How would you finance these businesses across the river? Especially without bringing in more disposable income and spending power.

You know why your plan will never work? Because you can't invest in an area without displacement. For risk to be low, land actually has to be expensive which typically guarantees higher revenue collection on income producing properties, thus your NOI is higher and your Cap rate is higher. Nobody is going to open any new businesses without a Cap Rate of 7-9%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 08:47 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
[quote=Truth2power202;43715242]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
People don't realize that as crime continues to decrease, it doesn't matter where development occurs. Gentrification specifically seeks out low-to-mid income areas. These areas are prevalent east of the river.

I'd probably agree with you if crime was actually going down in many parts of the city. EOR is still no joke, especially if you have to live in many of those neighborhoods day in and day out.

It's almost like the laws of physics. All that racial redlining stuff is in the past. Like I said, you have a generation now that doesn't mind living in diverse neighborhoods.

You do realize that DC proper is one of the most segregated cities in the country right? As far as redlining being stuff of the past. All you have to do is look at PGC and Charles County to see that's not true. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Segregation and concentrated poverty in the nation

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-d-c-in-1-map/

D.C. Is One of the Most Segregated Cities in America - Housing Complex
What you conveniently leave out is that the segregation is 100% economic. Upper and middle class people of every racial group live in DC non-segregated just fine.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:01 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,576,634 times
[quote=Chriz Brown;43719185]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth2power202 View Post

What you conveniently leave out is that the segregation is 100% economic. Upper and middle class people of every racial group live in DC non-segregated just fine.
I didn't conveniently leave out economic segregation. In a historical context, in which I was speaking, RACIAL segregation i.e. lawful segregation based on race, contributed to the segregation we see now in DC where west of RCP is mostly white and wealthy and east of RCP is mostly middle-class. We see it in all the interactive maps provided by the media.

Gentrification is 100% economic and economic segregation is a result. The segregation we see now was not because of gentrification 60 years ago, but racial segregation. There were very successful black people 60 years ago who COULD afford to live in wealthy white neighborhoods but were disallowed. That tells us that economics had nothing to do with it.

Moving forward, the current gentrification trend over the last 15 years will be a major cause of any economic segregation we see 10 to 20 years from now.

Unfortunately, west of RCP will still be an enclave of the wealthy class even as the rest of the city experiences gentrification.

I never said that DC has a racial segregation problem. I have always said that this generation is more tolerant of living in diverse communities. I've said that at least 10 times for a while now.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:23 PM

135 posts, read 145,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I think we all are looking at this contextually. WE're not describing micro-changes. Has crime decreased since last year? Maybe not, but has it decreased since the last decade, I'd argue yes. What we're talking about is a change that will take one to two more decades. Not next year. IN that context, crime is decreasing, developers are taking notice, hence the many projects EOTR spoken of earlier.

I'm well aware of that. And that segregation was the result of Jim Crow in the past. Does Jim Crow still exist? Slavery? Redlining? No. Not redlining in the sense that it was back in the 50's when it was supported and even implemented by the government. Gentrification is the new battlefront. And it is more about socioeconomic class today than it was about race in the past.

You will always have pockets of poverty. DC is no different. That won't stop gentrification and revitalization in other areas. Especially in Ward 8 and Ward 7. Poor people have been displaced in the past. It can happen again. It is up to DC to figure out how to serve both new wealth and old poverty.

I'll agree with a lot of that. I still think that developers and some realtors do still practice some redlining though. I'd definitely love to see somebody do a new study on the subject.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:19 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
all these gentrification gangstas strike again

Old 04-18-2016, 11:37 AM

[quote=Chriz Brown;43719185]
Quote:

You do realize that most of the Upper and Middle Class Black people in this region choose to live in PGC or Charles County and they do it because they actually want to live around other Upper Middle and Middle class Black people. The question is why are they not choosing to live in DC?? They are basically self segregating themselves. Most of the integration in DC is forced anyway.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...1TM_story.html

Old 04-18-2016, 05:44 PM

[quote=Truth2power202;43754811]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post

You do realize that most of the Upper and Middle Class Black people in this region choose to live in PGC or Charles County and they do it because they actually want to live around other Upper Middle and Middle class Black people. The question is why are they not choosing to live in DC?? They are basically self segregating themselves. Most of the integration in DC is forced anyway.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...1TM_story.html
The reality is that Upper and middle class people of every racial group live in DC non-segregated just fine.

So what you just said doesn't really change what I originally said. The self-segregation is cultural OBVIOUSLY.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:22 PM

[quote=Chriz Brown;43759135]
Quote:

The reality is that Upper and middle class people of every racial group live in DC non-segregated just fine.

So what you just said doesn't really change what I originally said. The self-segregation is cultural OBVIOUSLY.

That's funny... coming from a person that has lived in a 90% White area of the city until just recently. I love all of the definitive statements that you make about Black people, like you're actually Black. Your experiences with the few token Negroes that you might know will never equal my lifetime experience of being Black in DC. The self-segregation by middle class AA's in this city and in the DC region is more than just cultural. Had you bothered to read the article you would see that. But... that's par for the course with you though. You have a lot of mouth and no facts.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:03 PM

[quote=Truth2power202;43769749]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post

That's funny... coming from a person that has lived in a 90% White area of the city until just recently. I love all of the definitive statements that you make about Black people, like you're actually Black. Your experiences with the few token Negroes that you might know will never equal my lifetime experience of being Black in DC. The self-segregation by middle class AA's in this city and in the DC region is more than just cultural. Had you bothered to read the article you would see that. But... that's par for the course with you though. You have a lot of mouth and no facts.

So AGAIN.. what you just said doesn't really change what I originally said. The self-segregation is cultural. Sure, there are other factors at play.. but the bottom line (my main point) is there is nothing stopping a person from living somewhere based on their race.

If there is a racial "problem" in DC that is not based on culture or $$$ what is it? I don't see one. Now is your chance to educate me about what I don't know about being black in DC. Apparently my black friends don't count. Only YOUR experience counts. So educate me. Please...

Old 04-19-2016, 05:32 PM

[quote=Chriz Brown;43770818]
Quote:

So AGAIN.. what you just said doesn't really change what I originally said. The self-segregation is cultural. Sure, there are other factors at play.. but the bottom line (my main point) is there is nothing stopping a person from living somewhere based on their race.

If there is a racial "problem" in DC that is not based on culture or $$$ what is it? I don't see one. Now is your chance to educate me about what I don't know about being black in DC. Apparently my black friends don't count. Only YOUR experience counts. So educate me. Please...

Bruh, what you're asking me to do is impossible because you don't read with comprehension. I have cited tons of articles in my postings and I bet you probably never read any of them. Try reading them sometime and you'll get your answers.

I'm sure I'm going to regret this but here goes....

https://nextcity.org/features/view/s...unequal-in-D.C

A SHORT HISTORY OF BLACK WASHINGTON from the Progressive Review

Mapping Segregation in Washington DC - Preservation Leadership Forum Blog

D.C. Is One of the Most Segregated Cities in America - Housing Complex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: