Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 06:28 PM

53 posts, read 85,674 times

Advertisements

If it hasn't been mentioned in this thread how would the OP feel about Takoma Park/Silver Spring?

It's an established area that offers a lot of amenities and is fairly close on the Red Line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 03:30 PM

135 posts, read 145,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
So I've been living in Navy Yard for 4 years now and I'm ready for a location change in October when my lease is up. There is a possibility I'll be taking a job in Michigan Park so NE DC is an interest of mine. Out of these neighborhoods which would you pick to live in? I'm single, late 30's, don't enjoy too much craziness in the neighborhood but would like decent dining and bar options as well as grocery store and gym. Here are the areas I'm thinking of. I don't plan on buying, just renting for the next couple of years.

1) Petworth
2) Mt. Vernon
3) H Street Corridor
4) Ivy City
5) Bloomingdale
6) Columbia Heights
7) NoMa

Do your own research. This is a crime stats website sponsored by the DC police union. You can enter any address in the city and it will give the crime stats for that location.

CrimeDC.com | Crime Map | Latest Crime Alerts | DC Police Union

Old 04-21-2016, 08:29 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,630,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad23 View Post
If it hasn't been mentioned in this thread how would the OP feel about Takoma Park/Silver Spring?

It's an established area that offers a lot of amenities and is fairly close on the Red Line
Is Takoma Park in MD? I'd prefer to stay in DC proper. I'm going to look into Brookland as it is close to Michigan Park and I've heard its really up and coming.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:47 AM

273 posts, read 348,694 times
I'd move to Eckington. It's got everything a place needs to become a hot spot -- metro access, commercial strip, housing stock. It's funky right now, but you can see the gentrification taking place with several new condos already built and a large shopping center (smaller and less chi chi version of City Center) about to go up where the Foreman Mills place is. To me, Eckington (not Brookland) is the next "place to be."

Old 04-21-2016, 03:34 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
I'd move to Eckington. It's got everything a place needs to become a hot spot -- metro access, commercial strip, housing stock. It's funky right now, but you can see the gentrification taking place with several new condos already built and a large shopping center (smaller and less chi chi version of City Center) about to go up where the Foreman Mills place is. To me, Eckington (not Brookland) is the next "place to be."

1. Brookland is a safer neighborhood.
2. The ability to walk to work in DC should not be taken lightly these days.

Not saying Eckington is a bad choice, just not right in this case.

Likewise with Takoma Park/Silver Spring, two places I love by the way. It is just not right in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC