Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,439 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are getting ready to move to DC this summer, and are just starting to get serious about looking for apartments. And, like every other newcomer on the forum, we are freaked out about the rent prices.

Here's the thing: We're both white, college educated, and broke as hell (at least in DC money). We're moving to DC bc he has a fellowship there, but the pay is low (again, by DC standards). I don't have a job there yet, but I'm in non-profit work, so I doubt that I'll be pulling in much more than he is. But, bottom line, we're trying to be as responsible as we can be when moving to a city that is being gentrified very quickly.

I am originally from Chicago, and lived in fairly diverse, lower-middle income neighborhoods (Albany Park, Rogers Park). Rent was mostly affordable, I always felt pretty safe, I knew my neighbors, and it didn't seem like waves of people with money were displacing people without money.

Does anything like that exist in DC? The neighborhoods I lived in weren't perfect, of course, but they had a history of working people from different backgrounds living next to each other. That's tough to find in Chicago, and I am afraid that it will be even tougher in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 03:11 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
A lot of the young people who live in gentrifying neighborhoods don't make much money. A lot of the ones fresh out of college work for nonprofits or the government and make like $30k, $40k, and they cram into group houses in areas like Petworth, Shaw, Columbia Heights, H Street, Mount Pleasant to get relatively cheap rent. They might not be "working class" in the traditional sense because they're mostly college-educated doing white collar jobs but a lot of them are certainly "lower middle income." And then in these areas you have black or Hispanic people who lived there before it was gentrifying and many of them would be considered "working class." They're still there although it's true that a lot have left or are leaving. I don't see somewhere like Petworth or H Street becoming 90% white though, at least not anytime soon.

Basically my point is you will find other "white college educated and broke as hell" people like you in DC, and in neighborhoods where not everyone is like that.

Whether or not these areas have rents that are "affordable" for you coming from Chicago, I don't know. What is your budget and what type of housing are you looking for?

Old 05-05-2016, 04:05 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
You will not find the affordable rent thing you will in Chicago inside DC. Chicago is a very different place in terms of both the dynamics and the rent. Most people in your position, would go with a group house, as renting your own place might be cost prohibitive. With that being said, it would be helpful to know your collective rent range, as it would give us a better idea what to what to suggest. A few hundred dollars may be the difference between doable and not.

Also many people live in the suburbs because of the fact the safer neighborhoods may just be too pricey. There are places which are safe outside the city which would fall into this category (Wheaton, MD).

Old 05-05-2016, 04:50 PM

I've been Craigslisting for a while, so I know that Chicago prices are out of the question. We have a cat and dog, who are definitely coming with us, and a car, which I would be okay getting rid of. I'm expecting our combined income to be around $60K, though I don't have a job lined up yet, which is obviously adding to the stress and uncertainty. I might end up making more, but there's the chance that I could have no or very limited income for a while. (I have a lot of experience as a server, so I'm confident that I can make at least some money if I can't immediately find a job in my field.)

I should add to my original post - diversity is important to me. Race/income/lifestyle. I just read a post saying that the suburbs are more diverse than DC, which is really counter intuitive to me. Is that true?

We would prefer to live in the district if we can, because my boyfriend will be working right downtown and I thought that I would more easily be able to get to my job (wherever that is) if we're somewhere more central. But, if it's not possible, it's not possible.

Thank you for your help!

Old 05-05-2016, 05:12 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliles View Post
I've been Craigslisting for a while, so I know that Chicago prices are out of the question. We have a cat and dog, who are definitely coming with us, and a car, which I would be okay getting rid of. I'm expecting our combined income to be around $60K, though I don't have a job lined up yet, which is obviously adding to the stress and uncertainty. I might end up making more, but there's the chance that I could have no or very limited income for a while. (I have a lot of experience as a server, so I'm confident that I can make at least some money if I can't immediately find a job in my field.)

I should add to my original post - diversity is important to me. Race/income/lifestyle. I just read a post saying that the suburbs are more diverse than DC, which is really counter intuitive to me. Is that true?

We would prefer to live in the district if we can, because my boyfriend will be working right downtown and I thought that I would more easily be able to get to my job (wherever that is) if we're somewhere more central. But, if it's not possible, it's not possible.

Thank you for your help!
Many of the suburbs are more diverse than DC. That is indeed true. The suburbs can also be very urban, at least the inner ring ones.

DC is either white or black, save for Ward 4 and Ward 1 which are both diverse. 2,3, and 6 are predominantly white, and 5, 7, and 8 are predominantly black. 7 and 8 are both poorer and more dangerous. I would not recommend it to newcomers. 5 is fine though save for a few spots (Carver Langston). The place I think you may be able to find a place in DC is in Ft. Totten, which is boring but has good transit access. Brightwood might be your other option, poorer train access, but decent bus access.

With regards to the suburbs have places like downtown Silver Spring which is a total melting pot. If Diversity is important, downtown Silver Spring and Wheaton would be your best options. Wheaton in fact would meet the criteria exactly. It has a mix of latinos, whites, and blacks. It is mostly Latino though. A ton of immigrants from all over the globe, Africa, South America, Asia, etc. It is a lower-middle class part of Montgomery County. It is also would be affordable for you.

The other place is Hyattesville, Mt. Rainer, or College Park which is in PG county. Hyattesville is very similar to Wheaton.

I think one of the other options is trying to find a rent controlled apartment in Takoma Park, MD.

This is an FYI, most office based non-profit jobs start around $40k in DC. Nonprofit jobs in general pay much better in DC than Chicago. Chicago has horrible pay for nonprofit employees.

Considering your income though, don't rule out the suburbs. You may have better luck finding something there than inside DC. The DC area is not like Chicago either where public transit becomes awful once you leave the city, it can be okay in the suburbs depending on where you are.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:05 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Many of the suburbs are more diverse than DC. That is indeed true. The suburbs can also be very urban, at least the inner ring ones.

DC is either white or black, save for Ward 4 and Ward 1 which are both diverse. 2,3, and 6 are predominantly white, and 5, 7, and 8 are predominantly black. 7 and 8 are both poorer and more dangerous. I would not recommend it to newcomers. 5 is fine though save for a few spots (Carver Langston). The place I think you may be able to find a place in DC is in Ft. Totten, which is boring but has good transit access. Brightwood might be your other option, poorer train access, but decent bus access.

With regards to the suburbs have places like downtown Silver Spring which is a total melting pot. If Diversity is important, downtown Silver Spring and Wheaton would be your best options. Wheaton in fact would meet the criteria exactly. It has a mix of latinos, whites, and blacks. It is mostly Latino though. A ton of immigrants from all over the globe, Africa, South America, Asia, etc. It is a lower-middle class part of Montgomery County. It is also would be affordable for you.

The other place is Hyattesville, Mt. Rainer, or College Park which is in PG county. Hyattesville is very similar to Wheaton.

I think one of the other options is trying to find a rent controlled apartment in Takoma Park, MD.

This is an FYI, most office based non-profit jobs start around $40k in DC. Nonprofit jobs in general pay much better in DC than Chicago. Chicago has horrible pay for nonprofit employees.

Considering your income though, don't rule out the suburbs. You may have better luck finding something there than inside DC. The DC area is not like Chicago either where public transit becomes awful once you leave the city, it can be okay in the suburbs depending on where you are.
Its also important to note that while DC is less diverse than the suburbs from a residence stand point, it is very diverse from an employment and visitation standpoint. Every group comes into the city to work and/or play even if they don't live here.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:31 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliles View Post

Thank you for your help!
I recommend downtown Silver Spring, Maryland because it is more affordable. Living in DC proper is not going to be doable on your budget. Struggling with money is the last thing you want to do after moving to a new city. Also, Silver Spring is quite diverse and has easy metro access into DC.

The other option could be Alexandria, Virginia. King Street metro station is right in Old Town.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:19 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
Probably want to figure out where your job is before you settle on a neighborhood. It would suck to get a job in Alexandria for example and have to commute all the way from Silver Spring.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:44 PM

135 posts, read 144,986 times
[quote=DistrictSonic;43957071]Many of the suburbs are more diverse than DC. That is indeed true. The suburbs can also be very urban, at least the inner ring ones.

DC is either white or black, save for Ward 4 and Ward 1 which are both diverse.

Ward 4 is actually still majority AA. Ward 6 is actually not majority White. It's about even.

DC 2012 Ward Profile - Population - NeighborhoodInfo DC

DC 2012 Ward Profile - Population - NeighborhoodInfo DC

7 and 8 are both poorer and more dangerous.

Ahh yes... let's not miss the opportunity to bash Black neighborhoods.

As a matter of fact , there were actually parts of Wards 7 and 8 that saw a reduction in crime last year. That can certainly not be said for many of the other wards that were mentioned here.OP some of the fastest gentrifying neighborhoods in DC are often the most dangerous. Don't just settle for a strangers analysis. Some of the posters advising you either live in neighborhoods you won't be able to afford. Or they have never lived in the neighborhoods they are telling you to avoid.

CrimeDC.com | Crime Map | Latest Crime Alerts | DC Police Union

I would not recommend it to newcomers. 5 is fine though save for a few spots (Carver Langston).

Eckington, Ivy City, Trinidad, Brentwood and Edgewood should also have been mentioned.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:44 PM

Thanks, everyone! I'm headed to DC this weekend to check some places out. I think it will be easier to get a sense of the neighborhoods once I'm actually there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Probably want to figure out where your job is before you settle on a neighborhood. It would suck to get a job in Alexandria for example and have to commute all the way from Silver Spring.
Believe me, I'm trying. A lot of places want someone who can start right away, which I can't. I'm also sure we'll have a tougher time finding a place if I don't have a job lined up... but I suspect that jobs are tossing my resume when they see that I don't have a local address. Oooof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: