Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:34 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,113,345 times

Advertisements

If folks think DC is "infested with crime" now, man....they would've hated the 80s and 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 11:38 AM

126 posts, read 117,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
With low demand to live in cities, there was little incentive to invest $$$ into them. So they decayed since the poor neither had the education or resources to make any positive use of them. The result was crime, drugs and poverty bordering 3rd world conditions. This sorry state of American cities are often referred to as "The REAL DC" or "the REAL New York" by those who miss those conditions and hate gentrification.
You have a very misguided view of people if you think that when residents say they miss aspects of the old D.C. or NYC that they are referring to crime, drugs and poverty.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:34 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol this is an American issue, not just a DC issue. FACT.
Other than the racial makeup, how are those big cities I mentioned different from American cities?

Old 05-09-2016, 09:27 PM

126 posts, read 117,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Other than the racial makeup, how are those big cities I mentioned different from American cities?
You can't just say other than racial make up because racist policies is why a number of cities are the way they are. When you have white flight (spurred by racial covenants, redlining and block busting) where the majority of the middle class and affluent white people leave a city along with that cities have a decreased tax base for resources, schools, policing, less political influence in government, less jobs for local residents because business move to the suburbs and add to that the racially charged war on drugs your going to get what inner cities looked like and some still look like that today.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:15 AM

92 posts, read 141,336 times
For over 20 years, DC was on and off the murder capital of the country until the early 2000s (even up until 2006 or so it was top 3). That embedded culture of crime and violence doesn't just go away overnight. The kids now are the children and grandchildren of the players during the crack era, so they are already behind the 8 ball. It is worth noting the significant decreases over the last 10 years or so.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:38 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
You have a very misguided view of people if you think that when residents say they miss aspects of the old D.C. or NYC that they are referring to crime, drugs and poverty.
I'm very pro-gentrification. I was making a subtle jab at the anti-gentrification crowd.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:07 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,575,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
They are not in America, simple as that. Talk to me when the US doesn't have the highest number of guns in the world and death by guns in the world. Then we can break down why certain American cities are what they are compared to Asian cities.

Crime in large urban areas is a staple of American culture over the past 50 years, not the same in Japan or Korea.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:05 PM

324 posts, read 467,808 times
lets be honest, DC has a lot of ghetto trash considering it is the capital of the richest country on the planet.

i used to think gentrification needed to slow down, but i have definitely changed my mind on that. there's something very dystopian about the level of ghetto trash that can be seen just around the corner from DC's luxury apartment complexes

Old 05-14-2016, 09:35 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post
lets be honest, DC has a lot of ghetto trash considering it is the capital of the richest country on the planet.

i used to think gentrification needed to slow down, but i have definitely changed my mind on that. there's something very dystopian about the level of ghetto trash that can be seen just around the corner from DC's luxury apartment complexes
The amount of poverty in DC is indeed a disgrace and an embarrassment. This is why the Federal Government started the push to make DC a world class city back in the 90's. The majority of the poor will be removed in the coming years.

While the situation in DC is not unique to cities in the United States... it is particularly embarrassing since DC is the Capital of the United States.. and so.. DC should set an example for the rest of the country. And the example it was setting in the 80's and 90's was a disgrace.

The ghetto trash will be removed because there is no longer any benefit to housing them in urban cores. The Government doesn't want them here and the new upper class residents moving in don't want them here. Ultimately, only those with $$$ have a voice in "Merica" so its a safe bet we will continue to see hyper-gentrification in DC until the entire city is middle class or higher.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:38 PM

814 posts, read 911,768 times
Detroit Michigan and Camden New Jersey make DC look like Disney World. Philadelpia was nicknamed "Killadelphia," New Orleans, Atlanta, almost all the Florida cities, Richmond, Bronx, Bridgeport Connecticut, Boston, all just as bad if not worse then DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: