Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 06:02 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Detroit Michigan and Camden New Jersey make DC look like Disney World. Philadelpia was nicknamed "Killadelphia," New Orleans, Atlanta, almost all the Florida cities, Richmond, Bronx, Bridgeport Connecticut, Boston, all just as bad if not worse then DC.
Yep. And its pretty disgraceful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 05:46 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
The amount of poverty in DC is indeed a disgrace and an embarrassment. This is why the Federal Government started the push to make DC a world class city back in the 90's. The majority of the poor will be removed in the coming years.

While the situation in DC is not unique to cities in the United States... it is particularly embarrassing since DC is the Capital of the United States.. and so.. DC should set an example for the rest of the country. And the example it was setting in the 80's and 90's was a disgrace.

The ghetto trash will be removed because there is no longer any benefit to housing them in urban cores. The Government doesn't want them here and the new upper class residents moving in don't want them here. Ultimately, only those with $$$ have a voice in "Merica" so its a safe bet we will continue to see hyper-gentrification in DC until the entire city is middle class or higher.
DC spends about $100 million a year on low income housing. The poor are becoming somewhat less visible because we have changed our philosophy and no longer try to warehouse them is mass ghettos, but the poor will always be with us. We need to treat them compassionately.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:37 AM

814 posts, read 911,768 times
Then of course there is Kansas City, Oakland California Memphis, St. Louis, it goes on and on.

Listen though you really just have to have sense about ya and not act touristy white boy.

I'm white but I was born in New York, was in the US Army and been to Frankfurt, Bronx Zoo, Original Yankee Stadium, Orioles Park at Camden Yards, Jacksonville Florida, Manhattan, and a few others and we're still alive.

You know what the bad areas are and if you dont hang out there and go looking for guns, drugs, or sex, you probably have nothing to fear, use your wits and if something feels bad it probably is, leave.

Our youngest boy used to race BMX as was a member of USA BMX and our closest track was Gilles Park in Richmond and it was pretty much a black neighborhood but ironically enough there was a mix of black folks, white folks, and even some spanish folks and guess what we all got along, non of this racial bull and talking bout jacking people, we all enjoyed each others company and talked about the next moto or national coming up.

The morale of the story is if you give kids something positive to do crime decreases, if they are racing or learning a trade then idle hands become busy and are no longer dangerous.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
DC spends about $100 million a year on low income housing. The poor are becoming somewhat less visible because we have changed our philosophy and no longer try to warehouse them is mass ghettos, but the poor will always be with us. We need to treat them compassionately.
True.. there will always be poor among us. However, when low income housing and other accommodations are made for the poor it is not out of "compassion". It is done for political and financial reasons. There needs to be enough poor people around to do certain jobs, so you can't have them living too far away. Which is why the poor who are allowed to live in certain areas have to "qualify" to get that housing. Certain types of poor people who don't qualify are still pushed out.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:16 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,378 times
Quote:
True.. there will always be poor among us. However, when low income housing and other accommodations are made for the poor it is not out of "compassion". It is done for political and financial reasons. There needs to be enough poor people around to do certain jobs, so you can't have them living too far away. Which is why the poor who are allowed to live in certain areas have to "qualify" to get that housing. Certain types of poor people who don't qualify are still pushed out.

Not completely. Low income housing started off to replace dirty nasty filthy tenement slums and whatnot. In some cities, esp with heavy industry, it was clean accesible housing built due to the large numbers of people coming into the area to work. Dont forget a large portion of low income housing was a result of FDR's new deal programs, which were heavily geared towards assisting the poor and working class. Although many Chicago developments had racist intentions for blacks from the start, many low income developments didnt allow blacks let alone latinos and anyone else to move in until laws changed in later years. In many circumstances, esp in NY City low income housing had the intent of creating a working class utopia type of setting. this is esp true considering lecorbusier's towers in the park theory was popular at the time.

Low income housing declined as i understand it ironically during the war on poverty......which was a war that wasnt really waged to begin with. Most of the money that was supposed to be allocated to it went to the vietnam war effort instead. In short, disinvestment abandonment and neglect are major culprits. turning them into dumping grounds for societys poorest and most dysfunctional residents as well as blatantly neglecting these areas once they reached critical masses of poor blacks and anyone else high society hates was the nail in the coffin.

Dysfunctional and trashy poor people (being poor doesnt automatically make u as such mind you) just make a bad situation worse, but the powers that be ultimately are what created those conditions. Its kind of like my ultimate argument on gentrification: the same people who gentrify and erase the ghetto are the same people who ultimately created it.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
Not completely. Low income housing started off to replace dirty nasty filthy tenement slums and whatnot. In some cities, esp with heavy industry, it was clean accesible housing built due to the large numbers of people coming into the area to work. Dont forget a large portion of low income housing was a result of FDR's new deal programs, which were heavily geared towards assisting the poor and working class. Although many Chicago developments had racist intentions for blacks from the start, many low income developments didnt allow blacks let alone latinos and anyone else to move in until laws changed in later years. In many circumstances, esp in NY City low income housing had the intent of creating a working class utopia type of setting. this is esp true considering lecorbusier's towers in the park theory was popular at the time.

Low income housing declined as i understand it ironically during the war on poverty......which was a war that wasnt really waged to begin with. Most of the money that was supposed to be allocated to it went to the vietnam war effort instead. In short, disinvestment abandonment and neglect are major culprits. turning them into dumping grounds for societys poorest and most dysfunctional residents as well as blatantly neglecting these areas once they reached critical masses of poor blacks and anyone else high society hates was the nail in the coffin.

Dysfunctional and trashy poor people (being poor doesnt automatically make u as such mind you) just make a bad situation worse, but the powers that be ultimately are what created those conditions. Its kind of like my ultimate argument on gentrification: the same people who gentrify and erase the ghetto are the same people who ultimately created it.
Its a stretch to say the "same people" created it. You might say the same class of people created it.

The reality nobody wants to accept is that poverty is hear to stay and poor people will have to live somewhere. In addition.. no matter where you place poor people.. they will be dysfunctional. The only exception might be if the poor are scattered among all the other classes so that they cannot group together to create crime and dysfunction. Still, this is not realistic because higher classes of people will simply move away.

Since there is no way to make middle and upper class people "willing" to live around the poor AND there is no way to eliminate poverty... the only question left to answer is who can we afford to screw over the most? And since no $$$ = no voice and no choice.. the answer is obvious.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Its a stretch to say the "same people" created it. You might say the same class of people created it.

The reality nobody wants to accept is that poverty is hear to stay and poor people will have to live somewhere. In addition.. no matter where you place poor people.. they will be dysfunctional. The only exception might be if the poor are scattered among all the other classes so that they cannot group together to create crime and dysfunction. Still, this is not realistic because higher classes of people will simply move away.

Since there is no way to make middle and upper class people "willing" to live around the poor AND there is no way to eliminate poverty... the only question left to answer is who can we afford to screw over the most? And since no $$$ = no voice and no choice.. the answer is obvious.
It is something we can fix though cause the best fight against poverty is a good job, and good jobs are created by good people, people that care.

Only the liberal progressive believes that college is the only answer to fixing everything because their anti- American professors brainwashed them to think that way.

Look back when America was strongest, it was manufactuered products made by skilled craftsmen that took pride in their work and "Made In America". meant something good for our nation.

Now we have whiners blaming society for every little thing and grown men upset they cant use the ladies room cause they believe they somehow are a woman when biologically they are the furthest thing from it.

The Democrats of late are the biggest bunch of wimps I've seen in my 44 years of living, lets kiss everyones ass so nobody gets offended, sometumes people deserve to get offended, but again we're currently under a gutless government.

When I deployed for Operation Joint Endeavour I went on a 1 year mission to help support the Bosnia Peacekeeping Efforts, people I never met , would only know for a short time, and would never see again, I went because I was asked to do a job and I did it because there is a certain amount of satisfaction in helping those who cant help themselve, it feels real good to stand up for others, you do it for them because it a human instinct to fight against genocide and such.

Our poor people in our United States are our fellow Americans, and it will take guts to solve the problem

Old 05-21-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
It is something we can fix though cause the best fight against poverty is a good job, and good jobs are created by good people, people that care.

Only the liberal progressive believes that college is the only answer to fixing everything because their anti- American professors brainwashed them to think that way.

Look back when America was strongest, it was manufactuered products made by skilled craftsmen that took pride in their work and "Made In America". meant something good for our nation.

Now we have whiners blaming society for every little thing and grown men upset they cant use the ladies room cause they believe they somehow are a woman when biologically they are the furthest thing from it.

The Democrats of late are the biggest bunch of wimps I've seen in my 44 years of living, lets kiss everyones ass so nobody gets offended, sometumes people deserve to get offended, but again we're currently under a gutless government.

When I deployed for Operation Joint Endeavour I went on a 1 year mission to help support the Bosnia Peacekeeping Efforts, people I never met , would only know for a short time, and would never see again, I went because I was asked to do a job and I did it because there is a certain amount of satisfaction in helping those who cant help themselve, it feels real good to stand up for others, you do it for them because it a human instinct to fight against genocide and such.

Our poor people in our United States are our fellow Americans, and it will take guts to solve the problem
I agree with some of this.. but there is really no solution to the problem that doesn't involve taking people's freedoms away. Period.

The reason is simple: Resources.

As you know (or should know) the earth has limited resources and a constantly rising population. There are simply not enough resources for everyone to live middle class or higher. Therefore, there is no solution to the problem outside of poverty level people need to stop having kids.

Too many people + Not enough resources = Perpetual Poverty Class

Of course there is always communism..........

Old 05-21-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I agree with some of this.. but there is really no solution to the problem that doesn't involve taking people's freedoms away. Period.

The reason is simple: Resources.

As you know (or should know) the earth has limited resources and a constantly rising population. There are simply not enough resources for everyone to live middle class or higher. Therefore, there is no solution to the problem outside of poverty level people need to stop having kids.

Too many people + Not enough resources = Perpetual Poverty Class

Of course there is always communism..........
Which is what we'll get if Sanders or Clinton winds up in office. Taking from those of us who are blessed to have a home and food on the table doesnt help the poor either, wjat helps is giving those folks an opportunity to learn a skill, letting them have pride and a sense of being, a purpose, a job.

Alot of the white-collar crowd mocks the blue-collar crowd but as the white-collar jobs get set to India you cant outsource an electrician, skilled tradesmen have a job for life making about 30 dollars an hour

Old 05-21-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Which is what we'll get if Sanders or Clinton winds up in office. Taking from those of us who are blessed to have a home and food on the table doesnt help the poor either, wjat helps is giving those folks an opportunity to learn a skill, letting them have pride and a sense of being, a purpose, a job.

Alot of the white-collar crowd mocks the blue-collar crowd but as the white-collar jobs get set to India you cant outsource an electrician, skilled tradesmen have a job for life making about 30 dollars an hour
Yes, blue collar jobs are very important. White collar jobs are actually easier to outsource through the Internet, telecommuting, etc. And this is happening more than more.

I agree that those who want to learn and improve their situation should be given the resources and opportunities to do so. But those who are not taking any positive action in life should not be anyone else's problem. The poor need education before they are given resources. Giving them free stuff through bleeding the middle and upper classes does not solve the problem and only makes more people resent them.

It goes back to the old: "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.. teach him to fish and he eats for life".

The poor need education so they can make smarter and more responsible decisions in life. Irresponsible decisions that doom the poor are typically:

-Having kids when they are broke
-Engaging in crime
-Embracing low culture
-Snubbing education with an anti-intellectual mindset
-Externalizing all their problems and taking zero responsibility
-Wasting the little money they have on drugs or booze

But at the end of the day, the resource situation doesn't change. So until people stop multiplying like rabbits.. poverty is hear to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: