Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 05:00 PM

6,360 posts, read 5,070,572 times

Advertisements

I think one cause to all this that should be studied is: having too many children.

Now wait - before someone rolls their eyes and throws this out with the bath water, consider that often low income women have more children than the north american average. And usually without the male presence, or even to ONE father.

Who can state this without sounding like we are talking about pestilence? I choose my words carefully and do not mean to be insulting. Over time, a demographic like this expands, and gets out of control without proper rearing of children, discipline, and the providing of a healthy mental environment. The mother had minimal education, and that is passed on to her offspring.

Put that in an urban environment, and you lose kids to corruption and negative values. This propogates into a substantial sub-culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 07:35 PM

814 posts, read 913,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I think one cause to all this that should be studied is: having too many children.

Now wait - before someone rolls their eyes and throws this out with the bath water, consider that often low income women have more children than the north american average. And usually without the male presence, or even to ONE father.

Who can state this without sounding like we are talking about pestilence? I choose my words carefully and do not mean to be insulting. Over time, a demographic like this expands, and gets out of control without proper rearing of children, discipline, and the providing of a healthy mental environment. The mother had minimal education, and that is passed on to her offspring.

Put that in an urban environment, and you lose kids to corruption and negative values. This propogates into a substantial sub-culture.
I think that is because our system is set up to reward failure, what I'm saying is the more kids you have the more assistance one is given, when I was serving overseas I made more then other E-4's cause I had a wife and 2 kids plus COLA so I was clearing 2400 a month and back in 94 that wasnt bad money plus my wife was working plus the free health care my children had, it was almost a great life except you could get shot at and deploy for 12 months at a time.

Adultry is a crime in the Uniform Code of Military Justice yet they are the ones that cause the legal seperation during deployments, go figure.

I see nothing wrong with wanting to help others but like Chriz Brown said instead of giving a fish teach someone how to catch their own, they will go alot further in life and will achieve on their own which in turn will give them a sense of pride.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:48 PM

6,360 posts, read 5,070,572 times
This guy at my office says exactly that - that it is rewarded.

But I wasn't referring to government dependency, as much as my point was the further limits another kid puts on the mother's prospects for furthering education, or expanding her horizons.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:25 AM

814 posts, read 913,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
This guy at my office says exactly that - that it is rewarded.

But I wasn't referring to government dependency, as much as my point was the further limits another kid puts on the mother's prospects for furthering education, or expanding her horizons.
Education does play a major role in the economic cycle but even that is flawed with todays high tuition costs if a kid does not go and major in the right thing they could graduate into a lower paying position with a huge debt they may struggle to.pay back, its been happening.

Then you have the skilled trades but look how much harder it is to get into a good aporenticeship then it was say 20 years ago, when I was in my 20's if you were a worker with a high school diploma, college degree, or military you could write your own ticket to success, you didnt need an MBA, I know many people from my generation that started from the ground up succeeded without Yale attached to their name.

Crime and poverty are hand in hand, look at places like Camden NJ. or Detroit Michigan. These are very dangerous cities that come close to 3rd world as far as violence goes and they are right here in our United States.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:15 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,568,467 times
People forget that people from PG county ghetto areas still hang out in DC. DC will always have a ghetto presence. I live in New York now and even with all the gentrification there's a huge gang problem here.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:26 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,527,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
People forget that people from PG county ghetto areas still hang out in DC. DC will always have a ghetto presence. I live in New York now and even with all the gentrification there's a huge gang problem here.
Yep. A lot of the ghetto trash being pushed out of DC is going to PG.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:34 PM

18 posts, read 20,213 times
Like all american cities, the answer is simple: Demographics. DC has a 48-49% black population. Blacks commit on average 8 times the amount of violent crime than other races. So when you realize that 13% of the US population commits 55% of the Murders and then multiply that population by 3.5, you get DC's crime rate. This same logic applies in Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Chicago, everywhere really. It's the same reason the murder rate in places like SD, Portland, SF and Seattle is also so low... they happen to have very small black populations.

Here's a source before everyone explodes and the thread is locked : https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...ables/table-43

Old 05-23-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityResearcher View Post
Like all american cities, the answer is simple: Demographics. DC has a 48-49% black population. Blacks commit on average 8 times the amount of violent crime than other races. So when you realize that 13% of the US population commits 55% of the Murders and then multiply that population by 3.5, you get DC's crime rate. This same logic applies in Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Chicago, everywhere really. It's the same reason the murder rate in places like SD, Portland, SF and Seattle is also so low... they happen to have very small black populations.

Here's a source before everyone explodes and the thread is locked : https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...ables/table-43
This is the type of post that promotes racism without addressing the real root cause of the problem. The focus should be on the economics of the people committing most crimes.. not their race.

Do these people commit more crimes BECAUSE they are black or BECAUSE they are poor? If the latter is the answer.. why do we focus so much on the former?

Blacks are over-represented in crime statistics, both as perpetrators and as victims simply because they are also over-represented in poverty statistics. Poor people live in poor neighborhoods, and they tend to think poor, think crime is a "solution" to their problems, and tend to be victims of crime as well. The idea that black people are more inclined to criminality is flawed. It is a funny thing, but successful black people living a middle-class lifestyle are not likely to be burglarizing your house. Actually, it is not a funny thing, but a predictable one. Wealthier people are less inclined toward crime.

If we want to start solving real problems in this country.. we need to stop focusing on frivolous phantom issues and focus on real ones.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:02 AM

18 posts, read 20,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
This is the type of post that promotes racism without addressing the real root cause of the problem. The focus should be on the economics of the people committing most crimes.. not their race.

Do these people commit more crimes BECAUSE they are black or BECAUSE they are poor? If the latter is the answer.. why do we focus so much on the former?

Blacks are over-represented in crime statistics, both as perpetrators and as victims simply because they are also over-represented in poverty statistics. Poor people live in poor neighborhoods, and they tend to think poor, think crime is a "solution" to their problems, and tend to be victims of crime as well. The idea that black people are more inclined to criminality is flawed. It is a funny thing, but successful black people living a middle-class lifestyle are not likely to be burglarizing your house. Actually, it is not a funny thing, but a predictable one. Wealthier people are less inclined toward crime.

If we want to start solving real problems in this country.. we need to stop focusing on frivolous phantom issues and focus on real ones.
That must be why WV, the second poorest and whitest state in the country has such a high murder rate. And why PG, the wealthiest black majority area in the country, has such a low murder rate.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityResearcher View Post
That must be why WV, the second poorest and whitest state in the country has such a high murder rate. And why PG, the wealthiest black majority area in the country, has such a low murder rate.
The comparison is idiotic.

First.. you are comparing a county to an entire state. Second.. you can compare WV to another white county in the U.S. find similar results.

Rather than trying to truly understand the issue.. you are instead looking for excuses to be racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: