Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 09:03 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,978 times

Advertisements

People are blaming on its majority black workforce, including 97% of the bus and metro operations are black. What's your thought on this?

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-shutdown.html

Metro derailed by culture of complacence, incompetence, lack of diversity - Washington Times

Old 05-08-2016, 09:39 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
People blaming Metro's failure on "blacks" are too stupid for words. It is a ludicrous thing to say because it implies that being black leads a person to have certain inherent personality characteristics which is 100% false proven by science.

So the short answer is the question is idiotic.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:27 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
I am not going to blame it on the color of the skin, I am going to blame it on the incompetence of the employees. Incompetence knows no color or gender. Many of these behaviors can happen to any organization. I have seen it with mostly white agencies for example. Hell, even the Chinese government has some of these same issues. When favoritism is valued over expertise and competence, you have agency failure.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 05-08-2016 at 11:40 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 12:01 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
People blaming Metro's failure on "blacks" are too stupid for words. It is a ludicrous thing to say because it implies that being black leads a person to have certain inherent personality characteristics which is 100% false proven by science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
I am not going to blame it on the color of the skin, I am going to blame it on the incompetence of the employees. Incompetence knows no color or gender. Many of these behaviors can happen to any organization. I have seen it with mostly white agencies for example. Hell, even the Chinese government has some of these same issues. When favoritism is valued over expertise and competence, you have agency failure.

Im quite surprised and impressed by these answers.........

the WMATA has the same problem that DC city bureacracies have in general: APATHY

Whats the point of making a fuss and trying to overhaul and change things in a city where all your decisions have to be approved by congress?????? Even places like Baltimore, Gary, IN East St Louis IL dont have that problem. Remember this is the same city that elected its first mayor in the early 1970s and to this day the phrase "call your congressman" is invalid cuz well.....DC doesnt have one....

Old 05-09-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
Im quite surprised and impressed by these answers.........

the WMATA has the same problem that DC city bureacracies have in general: APATHY

Whats the point of making a fuss and trying to overhaul and change things in a city where all your decisions have to be approved by congress?????? Even places like Baltimore, Gary, IN East St Louis IL dont have that problem. Remember this is the same city that elected its first mayor in the early 1970s and to this day the phrase "call your congressman" is invalid cuz well.....DC doesnt have one....
I constantly say that economic, educational and cultural issues trump racial issues. Yet, no one seems to get it.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:05 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post

Yea, but any time anything is anything close to "97% non-Hispanic white", people are up in arms about the lack of diversity, despite how successful it is.

Look at the latest Silicon Valley uproar over the lack of diversity. Despite how successful Silicon Valley is, complaints and more complaints despite the meritocracy of the area; oh wait, it is never meritocracy when whites are involved, just white privilege.

So we have Metro, an organization that is disproportionately black, yet no one is even allowed to approach the subject of disparity in hiring. "Blacks" is blamed for Metro issues because the perception, and most likely fact if ever investigated, that many black employees were hired on the basis of race, not merit, not that they were the best person for the job.

I assure you, if Metro was 97% white, the EEOC and DOJ would have investigated a long time ago. If Metro was 97% white, the media and everyone would be jumping on this fact and stating because of its hiring policies, this is why the Metro has such issues.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:31 PM

126 posts, read 117,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Yea, but any time anything is anything close to "97% non-Hispanic white", people are up in arms about the lack of diversity, despite how successful it is.

Look at the latest Silicon Valley uproar over the lack of diversity. Despite how successful Silicon Valley is, complaints and more complaints despite the meritocracy of the area; oh wait, it is never meritocracy when whites are involved, just white privilege.

So we have Metro, an organization that is disproportionately black, yet no one is even allowed to approach the subject of disparity in hiring. "Blacks" is blamed for Metro issues because the perception, and most likely fact if ever investigated, that many black employees were hired on the basis of race, not merit, not that they were the best person for the job.

I assure you, if Metro was 97% white, the EEOC and DOJ would have investigated a long time ago. If Metro was 97% white, the media and everyone would be jumping on this fact and stating because of its hiring policies, this is why the Metro has such issues.
I would also like to know what is the demographic of metro management because they are just as responsible for the situation that metro is in as the non white collar metro workforce. Also lets not act like most non white collar jobs in D.C. are not occupied by Black or Hispanic people already, especially at grocery stores, fast food/casual places, and non-high end shopping places. I would first like to see how many non blacks are actually applying to these jobs before I make and assumptions about hiring biases.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:54 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
I would also like to know what is the demographic of metro management because they are just as responsible for the situation that metro is in as the non white collar metro workforce. Also lets not act like most non white collar jobs in D.C. are not occupied by Black or Hispanic people already, especially at grocery stores, fast food/casual places, and non-high end shopping places. I would first like to see how many non blacks are actually applying to these jobs before I make and assumptions about hiring biases.
A small glimpse into it - Metro derailed by culture of complacence, incompetence, lack of diversity - Washington Times

Of a dozen senior supervisors overseeing the rail division in 2007, 10 were black and two were white, and five black supervisors, all with less than a year of tenure in the position, were paid more than both whites, who had more seniority — one with 20 years — personnel records obtained by The Times show.

Interesting read by the way.

But anyway, how many applied does not matter in the eyes of the EEO fanatics. Companies and industry areas coming under the fire of EEO fanatics will often state if minorities do not apply, it is because of the lack of "outreach" and a culture "lacking inclusion" and that "minorities are being steered and/or scared of gaining skills to apply". Bottom line is, when it comes to the lack of minority applicants, how many applied does not matter, the company must do more to attract, it is the company's fault there is a lack of minority applicants. This is coded into federal regs for federal contractors - eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Just read the link above, and what is it lacking? Oh yes, anything to do with whites and males. The government does not care at all and given the disproportionate number of employees at the EEOC and other EEO enforcement agencies are minorities, I doubt a lot of sincerity is put into complaints filed on the basis of being white and/or male.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Ok.. so what makes you think that a successful majority white organization is successful BECAUSE it is majority white and not because of the culture, education level and economic situation of the people working for it?

And of course.. the reverse can be applied to Metro.

Serious question.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
A small glimpse into it - Metro derailed by culture of complacence, incompetence, lack of diversity - Washington Times

Of a dozen senior supervisors overseeing the rail division in 2007, 10 were black and two were white, and five black supervisors, all with less than a year of tenure in the position, were paid more than both whites, who had more seniority — one with 20 years — personnel records obtained by The Times show.

Interesting read by the way.

But anyway, how many applied does not matter in the eyes of the EEO fanatics. Companies and industry areas coming under the fire of EEO fanatics will often state if minorities do not apply, it is because of the lack of "outreach" and a culture "lacking inclusion" and that "minorities are being steered and/or scared of gaining skills to apply". Bottom line is, when it comes to the lack of minority applicants, how many applied does not matter, the company must do more to attract, it is the company's fault there is a lack of minority applicants. This is coded into federal regs for federal contractors - eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Just read the link above, and what is it lacking? Oh yes, anything to do with whites and males. The government does not care at all and given the disproportionate number of employees at the EEOC and other EEO enforcement agencies are minorities, I doubt a lot of sincerity is put into complaints filed on the basis of being white and/or male.
EEO enforcement fails at addressing the root causes of racial, gender and other inequality issues in the United States.

Inequality is primarily caused by culture, education and economics. It is a difficult problem to fix because certain people get such a large head-start in life that it is almost impossible for others to catch up later. Regardless of face.

A great example of this is when poor people win the lottery and end up poor again a few years later. This is proof that education and culture influences a person's economic situation more than opportunity and race/gender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: