U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 01:23 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,259,889 times

Advertisements

How can you call yourself a city? This is a joke DC is going backwards. Only thing I can say is petition and protest. What kinda of city with public transit shut down it's subway system at 10pm? It's bad enough late night weekend service is gone but 10pm on Sundays? lol This is pathethic.

Metro Boss to Propose Permanent Midnight Metrorail Closure; Early Closure on Sundays | NBC4 Washington
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 11:51 AM

209 posts, read 181,353 times
Smh... Time to scrap WMATA and start over.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:55 PM

3,408 posts, read 2,238,511 times
It's been very clear to me that the new GM is not focused on service to customers. How else to explain closing after snow when no other cities did so? The new approach to maintenance, while meanwhile the fires continue at an even faster pace.

It seems to me that metro has been captured by forces that don't give a d**n about passengers.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:20 PM

420 posts, read 375,858 times
Really sad to read about the state of Metro. Though I don't live in DC anymore I can still remember the excitement of riding the trains as a child, in those days they were so futuristic and clean.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:47 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,121,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
How can you call yourself a city? This is a joke DC is going backwards. Only thing I can say is petition and protest. What kinda of city with public transit shut down it's subway system at 10pm? It's bad enough late night weekend service is gone but 10pm on Sundays? lol This is pathethic.

Metro Boss to Propose Permanent Midnight Metrorail Closure; Early Closure on Sundays | NBC4 Washington
This would be a lazy solution to avoid using real brain power to find good solutions.

Ultimately I don't think it will actually happen. Don't forget that Paul Wiedefeld not too long ago also threatened to shut down entire metro lines for months straight to do repairs. When people balked he backed off. I think the same will happen with late night service. We will probably end up with a compromise where Metro closes at 1 or 2AM on weekends and opens an hour later on weekend mornings. However, if it really did happen.. then Metro would need to provide 24/7 bus service to make up for it.

Ending late-night service in a growing city is too absurd of an idea to ever happen. Paul seems to like using shock value to get things done at Metro and its working.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:47 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,987,591 times
I think I'm losing faith in Paul. We're doing this stupid safetrack crap and there's been like a million track and signal issues on the Orange Line outside of stadium/armory which was the area that was supposedly rebuilt! Ultimately they need to show rebuilding is making a difference because 5 years into the maintenance program and 5 Safetrack surges later, they are failing miserably.

And I'm going to go crazy if I hear this PR spin from WMATA one more time that "this is a two track system unlike NYC and we just don't have the time to maintain it." Tell that to the London Tube that is EXPANDING hours to be a 24/7 subway and also only has two tracks! Tell that to the Paris Metro! And these stupid local reporters eat this garbage spin up like they either have no brain or they're getting kickbacks.

Also, do we just want to put a big middle finger up to working class service workers who need Metro more than anyone? Not everyone has a 9-5 M-F job. The hours are too LIMITED already!

Old 07-29-2016, 10:50 AM

712 posts, read 905,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I think I'm losing faith in Paul. We're doing this stupid safetrack crap and there's been like a million track and signal issues on the Orange Line outside of stadium/armory which was the area that was supposedly rebuilt! Ultimately they need to show rebuilding is making a difference because 5 years into the maintenance program and 5 Safetrack surges later, they are failing miserably.

And I'm going to go crazy if I hear this PR spin from WMATA one more time that "this is a two track system unlike NYC and we just don't have the time to maintain it." Tell that to the London Tube that is EXPANDING hours to be a 24/7 subway and also only has two tracks! Tell that to the Paris Metro! And these stupid local reporters eat this garbage spin up like they either have no brain or they're getting kickbacks.

Also, do we just want to put a big middle finger up to working class service workers who need Metro more than anyone? Not everyone has a 9-5 M-F job. The hours are too LIMITED already!
Exactly. This would make it harder for them to live/work in the city.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:37 PM

3,408 posts, read 2,238,511 times
And today, another derailment and line closure. When will we see progress?

Old 07-29-2016, 04:42 PM

559 posts, read 1,025,857 times
Thats why I'm glad I only use the metro once every other week, and bike everywhere else. It's just ridiculous how bad the system has become. All this new tax money and these poor saps paying top dollar for the wooden apartments on concrete stilts next to these stops... So many mega apartment complexes are built because of the metro system, what is the logic behind this man? He needs to go asap.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:47 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,530,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
Exactly. This would make it harder for them to live/work in the city.
Those of us who live in the city have decent late night bus service. Likewise it is pretty easy to walk/bike around, and uber is cheap. I have not taken metrorail late in years because I just walk to stuff or take the bus.

Who this really ultimately hurts is suburbanites and service workers. The 10 PM on Sunday Especially. Which is absolutely absurd.

One of the reason why the ridership is down on late night service is it is not very reliable. Likewise there are alternatives for those who live in the city.

I just do not take the metro rail as much late on weekend nights. But the sunday one would hurt. It is just easier and more reliable to take the bus in the city or call an uber. If a bus breaks down you are not stuck in a tunnel...

If I was still living the burbs I would be so pissed though. But a big reason I moved to the city is not to deal with metrorail for my nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: