U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:31 PM

847 posts, read 3,193,667 times

Advertisements

I've noticed a lot of DC-bashing going on, which is fine, bash away.

Just wondering whether you thought the bulk of your complaints were about the city itself, or really applied to the whole area?
Rate this post positively

Old 02-19-2008, 04:56 PM

699 posts, read 2,123,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
I've noticed a lot of DC-bashing going on, which is fine, bash away.

Just wondering whether you thought the bulk of your complaints were about the city itself, or really applied to the whole area?
Honestly, it's just the same people over and over. They're just very vocal.

Unfortunately, they just seem to be stuck here for various reasons for a little longer. And so they keep posting.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:01 PM

25,730 posts, read 37,655,097 times
The whole area. I want no part of DC proper either.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:43 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,048,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
The whole area.
Agreed.

It's not ALL bad, though. There are a few cool people, but tough to find. I like some of the sports bars around there, especially crystal city sports pub - awesome place for watching football games.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:56 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,836,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
Agreed.

It's not ALL bad, though. There are a few cool people, but tough to find. I like some of the sports bars around there, especially crystal city sports pub - awesome place for watching football games.
Well, clearly if you're drawn to Houston and love watching football games, DC's not going to have many "cool people" in your opinion. It's a political town, not a sports town.

I don't think that's reason enough to continually bash the city. It's just not a good fit for you.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:07 PM

741 posts, read 2,653,502 times
kind of wonder why they hang around here posting all the time if they don't live here...

Old 02-21-2008, 11:02 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,048,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It's just not a good fit for you.
precisely

And I only check back because people PM me asking me questions about DC and pointing to threads here. Guess it's because of my screenname... I should change it...

Old 02-22-2008, 10:53 AM

1,480 posts, read 4,779,152 times
I hate when people bash a place and cannot say specifically what they hate or say anything possitive, or cannot name comparable (or contrasting) cities. Everything is a trade-off, if you can't think of one good thing about a place, you're just a miserable person.

What I gather about D.C. is that it's very expensive, maybe prohibitavely... not a place to move to without employment pre-arranged. I also get the impression that it's a transient place and hard to stay and raise a family.

I'm married, without kids. Obviously we prefer to have freinds who are couples, but it's hard enough to find one person I actually like, let alone someone with a spouse who my spouse will like! D.C. doesn't seem like a place for couples, am I wrong?

Old 02-22-2008, 11:34 AM

50 posts, read 325,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
What I gather about D.C. is that it's very expensive, maybe prohibitavely... not a place to move to without employment pre-arranged. I also get the impression that it's a transient place and hard to stay and raise a family.

I'm married, without kids. Obviously we prefer to have freinds who are couples, but it's hard enough to find one person I actually like, let alone someone with a spouse who my spouse will like! D.C. doesn't seem like a place for couples, am I wrong?
Everything is relative. Incomes are higher in this area (#2, right after San Jose), so you can afford more; and while the DC metro is expensive, there are at least 12 metro areas with higher home prices (after much of coastal CA and the tri-state NY/NJ/CT area, San Jose is the most expensive, see NAR: Research: Metropolitan Median Prices).

There are also two DCs. One is for young single people who come here for a few years to work for a politician or a nonprofit. The other, much larger one is filled with married couples with children, who have lived here for years (this includes myself and all my friends). This metro has some of the best school districts in the country (Fairfax, Arlington and Montgomery), plenty of jobs and a good transportation network. It is true that politics is the real sports of DC, and most people here can tell you the Obama's poll numbers as quickly as people in my home town of Chicago can tell you Rex Grossman's passing rating. Most of us are just spectators though.

On the finding couples to hang out with, I heard there was a website called hangbase (Find Couples In your Area You Can Hang Out With | Meet Couple Friends) for couples to find other couples as friends. I have no idea if anyone actually uses it though--the one time I looked there weren't many couples in the DC area.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:56 AM

36 posts, read 118,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I hate when people bash a place and cannot say specifically what they hate or say anything possitive, or cannot name comparable (or contrasting) cities. Everything is a trade-off, if you can't think of one good thing about a place, you're just a miserable person.

The DC Metro area is expensive (especially Northern VA!) But, regardless of where a person moved, it wouldn't be a good idea to do so without employment already lined up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC