Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:26 AM

784 posts, read 1,981,366 times

Advertisements

Only .500? I guess that's improvement over last season. I'm going to stick to my prediction of 90 wins, more if several new aquisitions step up. I heard Odalis Perez is impressing Manny Acta and looks to compete for a spot in the rotation. If Patterson can return to form and stay healthy, and I really liked the way that kid John Lannan looked last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 04:56 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
I've lived here since the early 90s, and like many other baseball fans I know in the area, never embraced Baltimore's team.

It was always a separate city that reminded me more of a declining manufacturing city than the vibrant, educated region that defines Washington. It was also painfully difficult to get to in traffic.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:48 AM

640 posts, read 2,012,258 times
Good reason for DC fans rejecting the O's....

Angelos has created a new name for Camden Yards...Yankee Stadium South (or Fenway South)...

Old 02-26-2008, 01:53 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Only .500? I guess that's improvement over last season. I'm going to stick to my prediction of 90 wins, more if several new aquisitions step up. I heard Odalis Perez is impressing Manny Acta and looks to compete for a spot in the rotation. If Patterson can return to form and stay healthy, and I really liked the way that kid John Lannan looked last year.
No question...if Perez at age 30 can stay healthy long enough to get his control/command back, he can be a big plus. His stuff is fine, but he has had a tendency to walk too many guys and go too deep into too many counts to be much more than a five or six inning pitcher. But he's always had the potential to be at least a #2 guy, so if he can reach that somehow, his signing will be a big deal. Lannan, I must say, didn't impress me that much last year. Serviceable...maybe a little higher. But of course, I could always be wrong about that. Hope so...

Old 02-26-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I've lived here since the early 90s, and like many other baseball fans I know in the area, never embraced Baltimore's team. It was always a separate city that reminded me more of a declining manufacturing city than the vibrant, educated region that defines Washington. It was also painfully difficult to get to in traffic.
Yes, Baltimore is a very different town from DC. But there have always been some good things about it. Certainly getting out of Memorial Stadium after a game to get back to DC was a major pain, but from Camden Yards, it wasn't nearly so bad. And Camden is a terrific stadium. Had Angelos not been such an unrelenting jerk about the Nats coming to DC, I'm sure I would still head north to catch a few games each year. As is, I'd as soon drive to Tampa Bay to see an AL game...

Old 02-26-2008, 10:30 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No question...if Perez at age 30 can stay healthy long enough to get his control/command back, he can be a big plus. His stuff is fine, but he has had a tendency to walk too many guys and go too deep into too many counts to be much more than a five or six inning pitcher. But he's always had the potential to be at least a #2 guy, so if he can reach that somehow, his signing will be a big deal. Lannan, I must say, didn't impress me that much last year. Serviceable...maybe a little higher. But of course, I could always be wrong about that. Hope so...
With Nick Johnson back and Dmitri Young and Ryan Zimmerman a year more expeienced. I've heard good about Lastings Millege. LoDuca is a good hitting catcher. If all works out, we could have a core of young guys to play together for a while. Luis Ayala is back and hopefully in prior form. He's been there since the Expo days.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
With Nick Johnson back and Dmitri Young and Ryan Zimmerman a year more expeienced. I've heard good about Lastings Millege. LoDuca is a good hitting catcher. If all works out, we could have a core of young guys to play together for a while. Luis Ayala is back and hopefully in prior form. He's been there since the Expo days.
They'll probably need to trade one of Young and Johnson if Nick can prove he's healthy. Neither can play another position at this point, and each of them is too good to be a backup. Milledge has a lot of tools, and Elijah Dukes can hit. If those two can keep their heads on straight, they could be a help. In any case, they should give us more than Nook Logan and Ryan Langerhans. But with Wily Mo Pena and Austin Kearns pretty much fixtures, I don't know how both of them can play. LoDuca meanwhile will be 36 by the time the team plays its second home game, and I doubt he'll be that much of a factor. His best, and maybe even his good, days are behind him. Johnny Estrada is 31, can hit as well as LoDuca used to, is a better handler of pitchers, and is a nicer guy. Hopefully, he'll be able to step in and be the man in the #1 catcher role. Jesus Flores is a capable young guy. My plan would be half a season in Triple-A for Flores, then we dump LoDuca on whoever needs or will take him in July. Felipe Lopez is a free agent after the season, so he might have to go then too, which would leave Guzman and Belliard up the middle. Argh!. Luis Ayala has a very good arm when healthy. But some guys don't make it all the way back from Tommy John surgery. He looked good at times after coming back last year, but he's still a question mark in my mind. Same for Ryan Wagner. There is talent there, but I'm not sure how much of it we're going to see. But all in all, we might be able to score some runs depending on how the new ballpark plays. That leaves the biggest question mark being who in the rotation will still be standing by May 15. We could end up seeing way too much of Tyler Clippard, Jason Stanford, and Tim Redding. If that's the case, it will be a long season, but if the regulars somehow stay healthy, well, we could be a problem for some other teams. It'll probably be windy and 38 degrees for Opening Night, but I'll be there trying to do my part...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC