Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:05 AM

258 posts, read 531,934 times

Advertisements

hey folks,
i been trolling around here for a few months and i think i'll askthe question that everybody else has.......... where are some good places to move down there??

i'm born and raised here in pittsburgh. the cost of living is very low and it's a city u could get used to real quick. but since its part of the rust belt, nothin new comes here very often.
my girlfriend and i are lookin to move down there this summer when i get done with nursing school. we're looking for some neighborhoods that aren't a "pittsburgh part 2" type of thing. what i mean by that is we are looking for somewhere nice to live that is quiet, drug free and not have people posted on the block. i tried looking online at NW dc ( can't afford), NE DC ( crap shoot), SW DC ( another roll of the dice) alexandria , va ( can't afford it) and places in pg county ( temple hills, oxon hill, mt. rainier, capitol heights, hyattsville, etc.). are only resource for nice apartments is apartmentratings.com

i first came to DC in october 95 for howards homecoming and then came back a few weeks later for the million man march. i visited my sister in 97-98 when she was living in alexandria and told myself ' i have got to get down here!!!' i feel in love with the diversity, different subcultures and opportunities for things to do.
i was particularly attracted to the fact that DC/MD/VA has a black middle and upper class. there is none of that up here in pittsburgh. so i was very determined to move to pg county, but after drivin through some of the neighborhoods i.e. bladensburg, most of hyattsville, chillum, etc. we were very disappointed ( i've been wantin to move to mt. rainier for the last 3 years....... i guess i must've seen it on a good day back then!!). i'm looking online for apts outside the beltway in pg county, but it's not looking good.

we're looking for a 1 - 2 bdrms for absolutely no more than $1200 + electric. we've been to alotta apts but most of them have maximum income guidelines and WE ALL KNOW WHAT KINDA TENENANTS LIVE THERE!! again, we wanna dodge a 'pittsburgh pt. 2'!!
so far, the best places we saw we're the kennilworth apts in bladensburg, the avery park apts in silver spring and the portabello apts down in temple hills.

to sum it up:
$1200 a month + electric
nice quiet neighborhood
in DC or pg county

please help!! reply or email me at adio412@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 06:26 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,887,695 times
Before you decide on a place to live, you really need to figure out where you and your friend are going to be working. I also grew up in Pittsburgh (but left 20+ years ago), and visit often. The traffic in this area is a different order of magnitude that what you are used to, and it can take much longer to travel from Point A to Point B during rush hour than you might think from looking on a map. You could easily end up spending 2+ hours a day in the car if you don't plan ahead to live near your workplace.

It's been a long time since I rented an apartment, so I can't help you there, but in general, anything inside the Beltway in PG County is likely to be an iffy neighborhood, especially if the price seems too good to be true. Most of the nicer neighborhoods in PG County are much farther out than the places you mentioned, and are very suburban in nature -- you would probably each need a car.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:50 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Laurel has always seemed to have good rates for renting apartments. Check that area out.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:21 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,282,329 times
Check out Bowie

Old 02-25-2008, 01:44 PM

forgot to add.......... u guys can recommend places in alexandria, arlington, nw, ne, sw or se. the only thing i have to go by is apartmentratings.com and word of mouth. dc and pg county are preferences, but we're open to other plces too, as long as the price is right and the neighborhood is semi-nice at minimum.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Before you decide on a place to live, you really need to figure out where you and your friend are going to be working. I also grew up in Pittsburgh (but left 20+ years ago), and visit often. The traffic in this area is a different order of magnitude that what you are used to, and it can take much longer to travel from Point A to Point B during rush hour than you might think from looking on a map. You could easily end up spending 2+ hours a day in the car if you don't plan ahead to live near your workplace.

It's been a long time since I rented an apartment, so I can't help you there, but in general, anything inside the Beltway in PG County is likely to be an iffy neighborhood, especially if the price seems too good to be true. Most of the nicer neighborhoods in PG County are much farther out than the places you mentioned, and are very suburban in nature -- you would probably each need a car.
Hope this helps.
we're going to be working in hospitals right in the district. probably washington hospital center and the va hospital

we know 1st hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we have cars

Old 02-25-2008, 10:12 PM

353 posts, read 1,258,259 times
Washington Hospital Center is right near Brookland (in NE). Brookland/CUA is the metro stop that runs near it (Red Line). Many buses run nearby (the 80 a few blocks away, the H buses). I know you said you drive, but it's good to know anyway. Brookland is a very nice community, and you should check it out.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:18 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Brookland CUA Metro stop isn't very close to Washington Hospital Center. There may be a bus from there though.

If that is where you will work, then best bet is Silver Spring, Takoma Park, College Park, Adelphi, Beltsville, etc... These locations are easier to drive to that area than most other places.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingfree View Post
Washington Hospital Center is right near Brookland (in NE). Brookland/CUA is the metro stop that runs near it (Red Line). Many buses run nearby (the 80 a few blocks away, the H buses). I know you said you drive, but it's good to know anyway. Brookland is a very nice community, and you should check it out.
is all of brookland nice or should i watch out for certain parts?? what is the rent like there?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Brookland CUA Metro stop isn't very close to Washington Hospital Center. There may be a bus from there though.

If that is where you will work, then best bet is Silver Spring, Takoma Park, College Park, Adelphi, Beltsville, etc... These locations are easier to drive to that area than most other places.
how is beltsville, i never heard anything about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: