Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 12:20 PM

181 posts, read 189,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
The media keeps talking about gentrification as if its something new or something that can be stopped or reversed. As if pointing out how people are getting displaced will stop it from happening. Hasn't work over the last 10 years, why would it work now?

Its going to keep happening. The are only two main ways to avoid being displaced:

1. Make more $$$
2. Own the land you live on

Otherwise, you are SOL. No amount of news articles or complaining will change it.
Poor people in America have more opportunities than people in 3rd world countries, so I fail so see why they make excuses as if they are doomed to live in poverty from generation to generation.

So many free courses online or job progams in DC that'll help get them atleast get entry level job skills. I see many walking around with smart phones and some even have laptops. Plus, we have libraries. Time to stop making excuses.

Maybe the hustlers in the hood should start using that money to invest in education instead of buying expensive clothes/cars and trying to live "hood rich."
Just a thought..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 07:49 AM

126 posts, read 116,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Its going to keep happening. The are only two main ways to avoid being displaced:

1. Make more $$$
2. Own the land you live on

Otherwise, you are SOL. No amount of news articles or complaining will change it.
Or have rich parents or grandparents.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:02 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,365,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
NYC's Brooklyn has been changing over the last 10 years as people have crossed the East River as they're priced out of Manhattan. Development and investment has taken off in Brooklyn neighborhoods such as Park Slope, Bedstuy, and Williamsburg etc. Signs are pointing toward the same migration in D.C. as people are beginning to cross the Anacostia River as they're priced out of D.C.'s core. Neighborhoods all over Ward 7 and Ward 8 are starting to see investment and major urban development is moving.

Here is a rundown of the major development taking place right now:

Barry Farms Development

Barry Farm Redevelopment

Anacostia Gateway Development

http://dc.curbed.com/2016/11/15/1363...ia-mlk-gateway

Poplar Point Development

700 Units, 1.6 Million Square Feet of Office: Massive Mixed-Use Project Planned For Poplar Point

St. Elizabeth East Development

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...hase-will.html

Parkside Development

Parkside

Kenilworth Development

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...-new-life.html

Reunion Square Development

Reunion Square Plan – Reunion Square

Skyland Development

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...n-center-65258

Deanwood Development

Lincoln Heights/Richardson Dwellings Redevelopment Plan - NCI NCI

11th Street Bridge Park

Pre-Construction on 11th Street Bridge Park Could Begin in September

Yes. By DC standards, which means no skyscrapers like they have in Brooklyn and no supertalls, which Brooklyn will eventually have as it turns into a natural extension of the overpopulation, density, and construction that exists in Manhattan.

I don't ever expect DC to resemble anything in NYC. But I don't think that is a bad thing I actually enjoy the height limits. The environment is not as overwhelming as what you get in NYC, Chicago, etc.

I am more interested in what happens when the entire city undergoes transformation, and the middle class cannot afford to live there anymore. I imagine this is definitely going to happen within my lifetime.

I get the analogy. It's not like DC is Brooklyn now, or is going to be. Just an interesting way of describing people's enthusiasm for whats happening there.

Last edited by goofy328; 06-24-2017 at 11:21 AM..

Old 06-24-2017, 12:07 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,502,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT93 View Post
Poor people in America have more opportunities than people in 3rd world countries, so I fail so see why they make excuses as if they are doomed to live in poverty from generation to generation.

So many free courses online or job progams in DC that'll help get them atleast get entry level job skills. I see many walking around with smart phones and some even have laptops. Plus, we have libraries. Time to stop making excuses.

Maybe the hustlers in the hood should start using that money to invest in education instead of buying expensive clothes/cars and trying to live "hood rich."
Just a thought..
Indeed.

And I'm not going to pretend many poor people don't face some built in disadvantages such as bad schools, family issues, violent environment, racism and cultural deficiency. They do face challenges. However, they still have free will to engage in productive behavior vs. self-destructive behavior. Many choose the latter.. mostly due to their culture.

The culture of the poor is dysfunctional. They value all the wrong things. This doesn't just go for the poor in DC or other inner cities. This also goes for the poor in rural areas too.

The U.S. is one of the easiest places in the world to succeed if you really want to. But it takes sacrifice. You might have to lose some relationships, time, fun and sex. You might have to stay home and study instead of going clubbing with your friends. With the Internet and Youtube you don't even have to READ anymore to learn things! There is less of an excuse to be a loser today than ever before.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:35 PM

181 posts, read 189,188 times
Would be nice to see about 5 or more cranes in the air EOTR, while looking towards that direction from Navy Yard. "Luxury meets Anacosita." Can't wait for the catchy slogans for the new residential buildings over there.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:08 PM

13,672 posts, read 15,530,643 times

St. Elizabeth's East: Summer 2019 Ground Breaking

Town square with two residential buildings totaling 288 units, a 200,000-square-foot office building, a hotel with up to 150 keys, and up to 50,000 square feet of retail,

Old 02-15-2019, 01:10 PM

East River Park: Summer 2020 Ground Breaking

Residential: 556 units
Retail: 243,160 SF
Office: 155,250 SF

Old 02-15-2019, 01:13 PM

Parkside: Summer 2019 Ground Breaking

Office: 1,000,000 SF
Residential: 1,500 units
Retail: 50,000 SF

Old 02-15-2019, 01:16 PM

Skyland Town Center: Under Construction

Retail: 320,000 SF
Residential: 500 units

Old 02-15-2019, 01:19 PM

Benning Market: Summer 2019 Ground Breaking

11,200-square-foot, multi-stalled food hall along the lines of Union Market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: