Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,957,399 times

Advertisements

Most of y'all might not take any interest in this, this is a good documentary on a well known D.C. hood that goes over the past and present of that neighborhood, even before it was projects and crime ridden, it has a rich history behind, so rich that I believe it shouldn't be gentrified and be registered as a Historic Neighborhood, it might already be since Anacostia already is, but I don't know the exact boundaries. I just found this interesting because I know this any many other hoods in D.C. including mines has a unique past about it. Took a look at the two videos below, you might learn something.

Full Description of the Documentary:
This documentary from filmmaker Tendani Mpulbusi explores the rich but turbulent history of the Barry Farm neighborhood in Ward 8 of Washington, DC. The once prominent Southeast neighborhood currently faces the same economic and social challenges experienced by communities throughout the District. Mpulbusi received grants from the Humanities Council of Washington, DC in 2008, 2009, and 2010 for the project, and he has generated a substantial collection of footage, research, and interviews that will soon be part of an expanded version of Barry Farm: Past and Present.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times
Why did they turn Barry Farms into Public Housing?

Second, isn't it about to be destroyed in the Poplar Point Development.

Personally, I think they should leave a small museum there. I don't think there is any saving those houses. They are inhabitable, seriously.

Last edited by The Heartbreak Kid; 06-28-2010 at 10:53 AM..

Old 06-28-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Why did they turn Barry Farms into Public Housing?
It probably went that way after the MLK riots

Quote:
Second, isn't it about to be destroyed in the Poplar Point Development.
That might be the saddest thing I'll see.

Quote:
Personally, I think they should leave a small museum there. I don't think there is any saving those houses. They are inhabitable, seriously.
>Start Rant<
Yea but those houses have been up for generations, and seeing them being torn down and being replaced with ughhh "mixed use developments" is gonna make me throw up. I can't imagine Anacostia becoming like Columbia Heights and hope it never will. Everytime an area of D.C. is gentrified the demographics of the area change drastically. smh I guess I know how people in Harlem feel now.

Like whats the purpose of this "poplar point development, D.C. does not need another damn soccer stadium, and its safe enough that RFK is probably going to be torn down in a few years. Theres a reason D.C. is doing this, a clear reason, and its obvious what it is. >End Rant<

Old 06-28-2010, 03:13 PM

I just saw some renderings of the Poplar Point stuff, seriously WTF, D.C. is about look like European cities, how ironic.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:24 PM

Fuggedaboutit, its gonna happen regardless of how I feel about it, might well well have a positive attitude towards it, just keep the big chair up though

and a Museum would be nice, matter of fact I'd think they should leave up one house to serve as the museum.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:44 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
That's a really interesting video. Thanks for posting. Is this project back on? I thought it had been canned.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:08 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times
Poplar Point is back on. I used to work on that project team at my last job. I can tell you that BF is gone. We do need to fight to keep some type of history there.

Personally, I would love to see SE become a black middle class Mecca but I don't think that will happen either. Welcome to Columbia Heights pt. 2.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:05 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Poplar Point is back on. I used to work on that project team at my last job. I can tell you that BF is gone. We do need to fight to keep some type of history there.

Personally, I would love to see SE become a black middle class Mecca but I don't think that will happen either. Welcome to Columbia Heights pt. 2.
Oh great, another Columbia Heights . Just what we need, another "diverse" neighborhood with people self-segregating themselves and sprinkled with covert racial tension. I would ultimately love to see the new Barry Farms modeled after a integrated neighborhood with people of all races mixing comparable to Rockville, Silver Spring, Centreville, Herndon, or Woodbridge (minus the abundant chain restaurants), but since DC coincidentally seems to almost always attract non-blacks who seem to have sand up their va.....eyes when it comes to dealing with blacks of any kind of socioeconomic and cultural background, the next best alternative would be to make it a middle and middle-upper class black neighborhood with single and rowhouses. Besides, I'll give Greater Southeast credit that it does have some of the best views of downtown DC (and even Arlington if you go to the right places) without having to go to the top of some condo, so neighborhoods with great skyline views are more than possible in that part of the city.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:14 AM

60 posts, read 136,356 times
^lol u kno that'll never happen...it'll probably just be for rich high class white ppl or sumthin...but who knows maybe it'll be for other races too...but ummm wats gonna happen to the ppl in da farms?

Old 07-26-2010, 03:26 AM

3 posts, read 17,294 times
Peace Family, Its Tendani, Producer and Editor of the film. i am glad to see you all are interested in the film and the social issues in general. More people should be concern and take action on these issues.

I have to wonder how the film got leaked like the Carter album. I do not recall giving any one the permission to post it and I only gave one DVD to one person so it must have been him or them but either way no hard feelings.

I would like it to be taken down because it is uncompleted and not an accurate representation of the work and of course I have the right to request that. If you respect the work and the producer you have a decision to make. I am not trying to get rich off the film its simply a matter of order and principal. Keep in touch and I will give you the proper one to upload in September, I believe you sent me a message about the film on face book. Keep up the productive use of your energy, good to see more people who care about non material things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC