Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 08:11 AM

206 posts, read 627,862 times

Advertisements

I really don't consider Frederick County, WV, loudon county as part of DC area.....in my opinion people area stretching it waaay too much....The real DC subburbs are: Montgomery, PG, Arlington, Alexandria & Fairfax county...maybe howard county(areas close to MC)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,922 times
I agree with that in principle, but the thing is there are more and MORE people being living out farther and farther away wanting to live in cheaper more open areas (sometimes) but work in DC for the salaries... so you are going to run into those counties that are definitely affected by what goes on in DC.

I keep running into more people who are just living real far away all the time in DC, I am talking people out in Harpers Ferry, to up near the PA border, to one guy who was even in Delaware. That's just insane. But people do it.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:09 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
Well great but the US Census Bureau obviously doesn't agree with you. It's not like it's some exclusive club to be considered part of the "DC area," many of those communities are being sucked into the region as people move out seeking a metropolitan connection while being surrounded by a semi rural environment.

The fact that you don't even consider Loudoun County, which is the regions fastest growing area and a business magnet kind of makes your argument pretty null as far as I'm concerned. WASHINGTON-Dulles, the region's busiest international airport is in Loudoun so I just fail to see how it isn't part of the DC area. In the Eastern Panhandle of WV there are daily commuter trains to DC and those who don't work downtown are usually working in Fairfax, Loudoun, and Montgomery counties.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:59 AM

847 posts, read 3,353,898 times
Yeah, it doesn't really matter where you want to draw the boundary for the DC area, it'll really be determined by where people who commute to DC (and Tysons, etc) live. If enough people commute from the WVA line, then after a while, that becomes part of the DC region. If enough people start commuting from Charlottesville, then that will become part of the region too. It's like New York -- the metro area is huge, whether anyone wants it to be or not.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:38 PM

36 posts, read 126,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastguy View Post
I really don't consider Frederick County, WV, loudon county as part of DC area.....in my opinion people area stretching it waaay too much....The real DC subburbs are: Montgomery, PG, Arlington, Alexandria & Fairfax county...maybe howard county(areas close to MC)
Taking a wild stab at it, I'd say these areas are considered a part of the DC metropolitan area because that's the closest big city? Oh yeah, and what everyone else said....

Old 03-06-2008, 02:48 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
I keep running into more people who are just living real far away all the time in DC, I am talking people out in Harpers Ferry, to up near the PA border, to one guy who was even in Delaware. That's just insane. But people do it.
I agree, but that is modern day America.

People commute from the Poconos to New York City, from San Bernadino to Los Angeles and don't even ask about Dallas Metroplex commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: