U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 04:11 PM

7 posts, read 27,262 times

Advertisements

Hello! I will be moving to the DC area to start a new job in a couple of months. I'm moving with my husband, 4-year-old, 2-year-old and 2-month-old. We've heard Bethesda is the best area - good schools and shortish commute on the Metro (I'd like to keep it to 30 mins). We can spend $700k. Several of the homes in our price range are located next to what looks like large antennae in a big field. The areas are called Fernwood and Stratton Woods on Google Maps. This area is just south of Democracy Blvd (Montgomery Mall), east of the 270 and north of the 495. I'm feeling a little bit cautious since there seem to be several houses for sale in that one spot. Is this a location that should be avoided? Generally, are there any locations in Bethesda that we should stay away from? Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 06:12 AM

14,040 posts, read 21,660,181 times
I can't think of a reason to avoid there.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:02 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,297,888 times
There are radio towers in the wedge between 270 and 495, on the edge of the Stratton Woods neighborhood. Depending upon the location of the particular house, Beltway noise might be an issue, but otherwise this is a perfectly fine areas.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:38 PM

Great! Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:17 PM

17 posts, read 69,392 times
Hi, An important factor to consider is where exactly is your job - is it Metro accessible, do you need to drive? There are some nice places around North Bethesda as well, but in general it is too crowded, large strip malls, etc.. Downtown Bethesda area is also a good place (near Metro station), but it is more of a mixed crowd and mixed activities - which actually for some people works out well. The only negative vibration about Bethesda (where I happen to live as well) is the attitude of the govt. - Bethesda is the largest source of taxes, but the downtown area could definitely use some of that money (too many potholes, ugly sidewalks, old deteriorating buildings, pedestrian unfriendly and unsafe places such as the Edgemoor Ln entrance to the Metro station [http://geocities.com/edgemoorlane/index.html] (broken link), etc., etc.). Well think it through what is or are the most important thing(s) for you (commuting to work, enjoying your free time, hobbies, living in a nice neighbourhood, etc.) and make a decision based on that. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the advice. We ended up buying a place close to the Medical Center Metro on the red line. I think this will work out well since my job is just a couple of blocks from Union Station. We also ended up spending more than we'd originally wanted to, but I guess that's what happens when you want to be close to the metro and in a good school district. I'm still curious to see what the actual commute on the metro will be like. I've lived in California most of my life and we drive everywhere! I'm glad I won't have to sit on a freeway anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC