Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:33 PM

26,688 posts, read 41,593,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moni909 View Post
Thanks everyone! The new job is great for my career, but I wasn't sure about the pay. I live pretty modestly now, but I hate the idea of renting again. I don't mind a 20-30 minute commute. Any suggestions on where to live around Bolling AFB? I hear the immediate area is sketchy.
Sketchy is not the word to describe the Bolling AFB area. I would recommend either Alexandria or Ft. Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 08:38 AM

293 posts, read 568,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifr1 View Post
I am also considering taking a GS11 job in DC. I'm concerned about sinking a ton of money for rent and not being able to save up to buy a home.

Also what is the job market there like for my partner who has a BA in economics?
...it will depend on what type of home you want to "start off with." If you have the cash then you will be fine. Also, if you do not mind having to put some cash into your place then things may also be fine for you. For people who are not from this area and have never lived in places like NY or out on the West Coast the cost of housing in a shocker.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,334,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moni909 View Post
Quick question for federal employees out there ... i've been offered a GS-11 job in DC ... can a single person live decently?
If you live modestly, I think you can get by as a GS-11. You will likely be renting, and not buying, a home. But you can get by.

The bigger question is what will become of the federal government and/or the housing prices in the DC metro area when GS-11s have to ask if they can get by in DC!!! As far as government pay goes, a GS-11 is pretty darn good. It is sad that DC has gotten so expensive that it may encounter problems recruiting good employees to federal government service due to low pay relative to DC's high cost of living. The federal government has a Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) for federal employees who work in different cities, but it does not really equalize the pay vs. cost of living. For instance, a fed worker in San Francisco might make approximately 15% more than the same fed worker in Youngstown, Ohio due to the cost of living differential between the two cities. But while a GS-11 in SF would be living poor, the GS-11 in Youngstown could buy a four bedroom house easily on his or her (slightly lower than SF) income.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:12 PM

293 posts, read 568,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
If you live modestly, I think you can get by as a GS-11. You will likely be renting, and not buying, a home. But you can get by.

The bigger question is what will become of the federal government and/or the housing prices in the DC metro area when GS-11s have to ask if they can get by in DC!!! As far as government pay goes, a GS-11 is pretty darn good. It is sad that DC has gotten so expensive that it may encounter problems recruiting good employees to federal government service due to low pay relative to DC's high cost of living. The federal government has a Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) for federal employees who work in different cities, but it does not really equalize the pay vs. cost of living. For instance, a fed worker in San Francisco might make approximately 15% more than the same fed worker in Youngstown, Ohio due to the cost of living differential between the two cities. But while a GS-11 in SF would be living poor, the GS-11 in Youngstown could buy a four bedroom house easily on his or her (slightly lower than SF) income.
...I think that your post is dead on.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:41 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,689,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifr1 View Post
I am also considering taking a GS11 job in DC. I'm concerned about sinking a ton of money for rent and not being able to save up to buy a home.

Also what is the job market there like for my partner who has a BA in economics?

If you have kids or are the breadwinner of the family, you may have a problem, but if it's just you don't worry about it. As I said above, I'm a lowly GS-7 and I'm surviving without difficulty.

As for econ, I came here since I felt it was one of the best places for me to be with an undergrad in economics. There are a lot of government positions, as well as private consulting firms and a good number of law firms looking for a staff expert. Do you know your partner's primary interests? (i.e. antitrust, micro, macro, trade, finance, etc)

Old 04-01-2008, 11:41 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,858,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfronz View Post
People CONSTANTLY talk about other places that are so much cheaper on this board but you absolutely won't find the corporate connections or job opportunities in most of those locations.
Only one problem.

Other, albeit smaller, places are garanteed cheaper. Corporate connections and better jobs are not. Salaries will always lag well behind cost of living... and the cost of living in this area will almost CERTAINLY continue to skyrocket.

The unfortunate result of "job opportunites" and high cost of living is most move from company to company to get the best deal. Meanwhile what is lost is the sense of work community and the comfort of having been with the same company a long time.

It's all a trade off. Most of my friends (IT industry) haven't been with their company more than 3 years... and continually stalk various job websites like hungry sharks.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:30 PM

480 posts, read 1,912,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfronz View Post
People blow the housing expense thing out of proportion on this board, you will be able to live in DC. You might not exactly be apartment hunting in Georgetown or Adams Morgan but you can find a decent place in a decent neighborhood, especially if you are willing to consider roommates. I have several friends who are GS-7 or 9 living in north Arlington and in DC proper. Plus you won't always be making a small salary, as you get more experience and work your way up the ladder you will find that you can afford plenty around here. People CONSTANTLY talk about other places that are so much cheaper on this board but you absolutely won't find the corporate connections or job opportunities in most of those locations.

Here's my dilemma. I currently originate mortgages for a living at a company based in Rockville, but getting business is harder and harder. I'm married, and my wife is a GS-13 herself and makes the corresponding salary. We live in Columbia so it's a rough commute to downtown but since she leaves at 6:30 am and gets off at 3:30 or 4, and telecommutes one day a week, it's not really all that bad.

Anyway, I qualify for a slew of GS9, GS11, and a couple GS12 and GS13 jobs. Right now I make roughly what a GS11 does, but used to make about 170k at the height of the mortgage boom.

I have a major problem with the fact that I, with a degree and 8 years experience, would have to be in a salaried job where I can't make the bills on my own salary, yes, I have my wife to help but I hate that. It just seems wrong that a 30 year old guy with my profile can't make enough money to pay the mortgage on a modest 3 bedroom condo WAY out of the city, and still actually have a "life" to speak of.

However, on the other hand it's still more than I make now and even a GS9 is only slightly less.

But what gets me is this - even if I reach a 14 in a few years, I'll top out salarywise at well under what I used to make in this business and I hate the thought of being limited to that.

Any comments, ideas?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:36 PM

540 posts, read 960,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
Here's my dilemma. I currently originate mortgages for a living at a company based in Rockville, but getting business is harder and harder. I'm married, and my wife is a GS-13 herself and makes the corresponding salary. We live in Columbia so it's a rough commute to downtown but since she leaves at 6:30 am and gets off at 3:30 or 4, and telecommutes one day a week, it's not really all that bad.

Anyway, I qualify for a slew of GS9, GS11, and a couple GS12 and GS13 jobs. Right now I make roughly what a GS11 does, but used to make about 170k at the height of the mortgage boom.

I have a major problem with the fact that I, with a degree and 8 years experience, would have to be in a salaried job where I can't make the bills on my own salary, yes, I have my wife to help but I hate that. It just seems wrong that a 30 year old guy with my profile can't make enough money to pay the mortgage on a modest 3 bedroom condo WAY out of the city, and still actually have a "life" to speak of.

However, on the other hand it's still more than I make now and even a GS9 is only slightly less.

But what gets me is this - even if I reach a 14 in a few years, I'll top out salarywise at well under what I used to make in this business and I hate the thought of being limited to that.

Any comments, ideas?
What are you looking at in the government sector? Are there equivelant contracting/commercial jobs? They are likely to pay more. A lot of people feel that they are under-paid in the government, but I think most fail to recognize the value of the benefits and job security that come with a government job. Your real estate job sounds like a perfect example of not having that security. The money was great during the boom, but it hurts now.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:45 PM

480 posts, read 1,912,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
What are you looking at in the government sector? Are there equivelant contracting/commercial jobs? They are likely to pay more. A lot of people feel that they are under-paid in the government, but I think most fail to recognize the value of the benefits and job security that come with a government job. Your real estate job sounds like a perfect example of not having that security. The money was great during the boom, but it hurts now.
Mostly HUD and SBA. The only other options that would be of a contracting type would be working at Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, which aren't truely government agencies.

Yeah, benefits are great, but they don't pay the bills - if you have a certain nut each month and your total income is less than that, all the benefits in the world don't mean diddly squat!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:03 AM

143 posts, read 871,216 times
Im single, GS-7 and doing OK (next year ill be GS-9)..I basically have enough to pay all my bills and a have decent meal everyday. Although I have trouble doing anything more than that. I may have to wait a month or two if I want to save up and get a "toy"...At GS-11 youll be alright as long as you dont spend like a drunken sailor..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC