Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 35,822 times

Advertisements

Quick question for federal employees out there ... i've been offered a GS-11 job in DC ... can a single person live decently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 10:57 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moni909 View Post
Quick question for federal employees out there ... i've been offered a GS-11 job in DC ... can a single person live decently?
Yeah.....how do you feel about bread and water for meals on a daily basis?

Old 03-27-2008, 03:42 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moni909 View Post
My mom is a GS-9 and the only reason she can stay afloat here is that she has military retirement. Her building is moving outta of Alexandria and going to KY and IL and from what she tells me most of the people have no problem kissing the expensive DC area goodbye and going to the inexpensive Ft. Knox and St. louis areas.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:03 AM

540 posts, read 962,483 times
The short answer - YES. Most people in government don't start out as GS-12's or 13's. They start out as 7's, 9's, 11's. Tens of thousands of college students live in DC. Most young professionals start out here interning or in low paying jobs. They all do just fine.

The long answer - Depends on where you are in your life and what you consider living decently. If you want to live by yourself in a large apartment with no commute in a zero crime neighborhood, you'll have problems. If you are willing to compromise a little on these (take a roommate, commute 30 minutes on the metro, or live in slightly sketchy neighborhood) you will do just fine.

If you are looking to start a career, you will have plenty of opportunities for advancement, and will have to make those compromises less and less as you do so. If you are in your 50's and looking to stuff a bunch of money away for retirement, it probably isn't the best move.

Don't let people with an obvious bias scare you away from a job or city that you are interested in. People tried telling my wife that she shouldn't come out here for college. She did, then started out as a GS-9 with treasury, then joined the foreign service. She has never regretted any of it and never had to live on bread and water.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:16 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Yes, you definitely can. You can't get a lavish penthouse suite, but you won't be living paycheck-to-paycheck. (I'm a GS-7, just for perspective, but I live in a 2 bedroom with a roommate)

Most I know have a roommate or significant other, however, I know several GS-7s, -9s and -11s who live alone. The GS-7s usually make do with a studio in a near suburb (Arlington, mostly), and some of the GS-9s do the same or find an inexpensive one-bedroom somewhere. These are all below your grade, so if they can do it, so can you. A GS-9/newly-turned11 I work with recently bought a one-bedroom condo near Mt. Vernon Sq for himself, but I don't know how much he had saved up.

In general, I'd advise finding out where your office is located, whether you'll drive or metro, and then go from there. Virginia and Maryland, in general, will be cheaper than the district, and if you can't walk to a metro station then the price really drops (if you need this as an option there are always buses and sometimes courtesy shuttles, they can just be a hassle). Also, if there's a person or two you can live with, that'll also make it much more affordable.

If you have a certain area in mind (either to live or work) you can ask on here again for more advice on that particular area.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:55 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
People blow the housing expense thing out of proportion on this board, you will be able to live in DC. You might not exactly be apartment hunting in Georgetown or Adams Morgan but you can find a decent place in a decent neighborhood, especially if you are willing to consider roommates. I have several friends who are GS-7 or 9 living in north Arlington and in DC proper. Plus you won't always be making a small salary, as you get more experience and work your way up the ladder you will find that you can afford plenty around here. People CONSTANTLY talk about other places that are so much cheaper on this board but you absolutely won't find the corporate connections or job opportunities in most of those locations.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
The short answer - YES. Most people in government don't start out as GS-12's or 13's. They start out as 7's, 9's, 11's. Tens of thousands of college students live in DC. Most young professionals start out here interning or in low paying jobs. They all do just fine.
I totally agree with Trzlucky's post. I started out as a GS-9 years ago as a single person supporting an aging parent. However, my only debts were a small amount of student loans. I won't lie; the first year was tough and I had to rent a room in someone's home. But once I got to the GS-11, things got better. If you are on a career ladder and are performing well, you'll be promoted to the next grade in a year. You may have to live on a budget, but it is definitely doable. People who start on the Hill make a lot less. GL!

Old 03-27-2008, 07:55 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,522 times
I'm sure you will do fine financially as a GS 11. Don't forget DC has locality pay. You just won't be buying a huge mcmansion off the bat. hehe

Old 03-29-2008, 11:58 AM

20 posts, read 98,974 times
I am also considering taking a GS11 job in DC. I'm concerned about sinking a ton of money for rent and not being able to save up to buy a home.

Also what is the job market there like for my partner who has a BA in economics?

Old 03-29-2008, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 35,822 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone! The new job is great for my career, but I wasn't sure about the pay. I live pretty modestly now, but I hate the idea of renting again. I don't mind a 20-30 minute commute. Any suggestions on where to live around Bolling AFB? I hear the immediate area is sketchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC