Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,235 times

Advertisements

I am a young professional considering moving from Arlington into the District. Although (some) studios are more affordable than in VA, is there anything I should be wary of as someone on a budget as I look to make this move? I am aware of the increase in taxes (4.5% to 8%) and filing for District Zone Street parking, but am hoping that anyone who has made this change will let me know what they learned/wish they had know beforehand. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 10:01 AM

5 posts, read 20,339 times
I lived in VA and finally made the move to the District after I got married. First off, where do you work? Is it a better commute? My commute lessened by 30mins and my husbands went down about 5 or 10mins. We moved into Dupont Circle where we were able to walk everywhere. We were near the Trader Joes and used Peapod delivery for groceries. The prices for groceries are a bit more expensive in the city, especially if you go to a "little market" instead of the major chains.
We actually got rid of our car when we moved - something I'd highly recommend if you can do it. It makes you feel so free!! I would get a Zipcar or Flexcar membership where you can rent cars by the hour, you can consolidate your out of town errands and rent the car on the weekends. I think they reun about $8 or $10 an hour with a monthly fee or some sort of minimum. Taxi prices are going down, or just get a bike!!!

What part of DC are you looking at moving into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC