Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 09:02 AM

486 posts, read 979,035 times

Advertisements

My friends and I are planning to come to DC in June to celebrate my 30th birthday. We are planning to hang out at H20 and maybe Zanzibar. Where should we stay. I am not so much worried about the price as I am my safety and ease of mobility. Where would you recommend?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 PM

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the name of the night clubs that I plan to go to and I would have gotten a response by now....

Old 04-03-2008, 07:53 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,674,081 times
Ok, since no one else has responded, I don't know a lot of hotels in the area right now (except for the super pricey ones that I occasionally try to invade to look classy), but I'd say your best bet is to look for one near the National Mall and near a metro stop. It's all very easily walkable.

If you want to be close to the clubs you mentioned, there should be some hotels near L'Enfant Plaza, which would be between the waterfront (Zanzibar & H2O) and everything else. The only downside of this area (to me, you may not think so) is that it's back-to-back government office buildings. On the plus side, you're a couple of blocks off the Mall, near the Capitol, and the L'Enfant metro has 4 of the 5 metro lines running through it, so it's very convenient.

Other than that, there's hotels all over, but good areas would be Chinatown/Gallery Place or near Metro Center (both centrally located and easy access to the Waterfront), or over near Dupont Circle (nicer area). Personally, I wouldn't really look further east than 395 in DC, not so much for safety, but because I don't know if there's much in that immediate area that would be interesting for a visitor. But, anyone can feel free to correct me.

Is there anything else you want to do in particular, besides the two clubs? Check out where that stuff is and the nearest metro stop. It might also help if you do specify a general price range. "Pricey" can be subjective ($100 a night? $300 a night?).

Old 04-03-2008, 09:34 AM

136 posts, read 576,890 times
Default Harrington Hotel

My husband and I were just in DC in October and stayed there. We absolutely loved it. It is definitely a budget hotel and nothing the fancy. Our room was small but we live in NYC so that is pretty normal to us. I think it was right at $100 a night.

We barely even road the metro. We were so close to everything we just walked. I don't know the location of the clubs you are going to so I can't comment if this hotel is close or not. However, it was close to several subway stops so you should be able to get there pretty easily.

We didn't know it at the time but now it looks as though we will be moving to DC.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:58 AM

The Harrington Hotel is near Federal Triangle and Metro Center, it's definitely a good location. Walking to the clubs is a little far (1-1.5 miles), but you can easily hop on the metro for a few minutes and get there. The ride to L'Enfant would be less than 5 minutes, and you can just walk from there (4-5 blocks straight down 7th Street).

Old 04-03-2008, 09:49 PM

Thank you very much for your responses! I am glad to hear that Dupont Circle is a nice area, that is the area that I was considering.

Thanks again!

Old 04-04-2008, 07:47 AM

No problem. Just fyi, Dupont Circle, Foggy Bottom, and Penn Quarter (near Archives/Navy Memorial metro) are some of the nicest areas in DC. If you hang out around there you should not have any problems.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:05 AM

540 posts, read 959,249 times
If money isn't an issue, I would stay in one of the smaller hotels around Dupont/Logan Circles. Here are a few:

Welcome to the Tabard Inn
Washington DC Boutique Hotels & Accommodations In Downtown Logan Circle - Hotel Helix

There are a ton more in the area, that you should be able to google. They are quick walks to the Metro red line with straight shots down to the waterfront. There is also more than enough to do with all of the bars, restaurants, and clubs right in the Dupont/Logan area.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:15 AM

19,284 posts, read 9,383,402 times
I could make another suggestion. Red Roof Inn, connected to the Irish Channel Pub and Restaurant.
It's located within a couple blocks of the Judiciary Square Metro - on the Law Enforcement Memorial side. I've been to it once and it wasn't bad. You can go to one of those discount hotel websites and book your reservation from there as my husband had done and save some $$$.
I've seen other reviews that were 4.0 and above for this place. I was going to list them in here but
not sure it's something we can do. You can probably Google this place for reviews and see for yourself. I'd say it's in a fairly safe place. FOP and FBI are within that same block area. Short walk to Chinatown [7th St]. Burger King, Quiznos, Market Cafe are within that same walking zone, but try the food/atmosphere at the Irish Channel. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:58 PM

11,136 posts, read 15,902,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I could make another suggestion. Red Roof Inn, connected to the Irish Channel Pub and Restaurant... I don't think you'd be disappointed.
Not sure why you resurrected a thread that was over a year old, but in any case, the OP was seeking advice on where to stay for a trip in June 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC