U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 63,220 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Washington in the next two months.
Where is the best place to live if you are in your 30s, without a family and love city life? (meaning, i do not want to live in the suburbs)
Are there any nice apartments? or condos?
My budget is between $1,500 and $1,750....anythign cheaper is always better but if i must fork out cash, that is fine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 08:45 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,838,535 times
Dupont Circle, Georgetown and Adams-Morgan are three of the coolest neighborhoods in DC with a high concentration of nightlife, restaurants, bars, coffeeshops, bookstores and street life. All three attract different demographics but tend to be light on families and heavy on singles with a wide selection of apartments and condos, and while they are definitely more expensive than the rest of the city (particularly Georgetown where there are fewer apartments, and mostly instead elegant rowhouses), I think within your price range, you could find something.

Dupont Circle is the most centralized of the three locations within DC and also is the only neighborhood with a Metro stop (there is a stop labeled Woodley Park/Zoo/Adams Morgan but DC Metro is infamous for labeling cities/areas that are quite the hike from the actual station as Adams Morgan is). It is also the center of gay life in DC. It's mostly upper middle class professionals, singles, in their thirties (the twentysomethings are there too but in higher concentrations elsewhere). Georgetown is the "old money" part of DC, a very old high-density elegant community home to dozens of boutiques high-end restaurants and shopping. It's a bit touristy as well. Lots of wealthy families, congressmen and diplomats live in this area. There is also a heavy young presence due to Georgetown University nearby and also many young college-aged out-of-towners head here for nightlife. Adams Morgan is an eclectic neighborhood that has been going through an identity crisis for the past 10 years or so. It was once the main Latino enclave in DC, and then took on a subsequent Caribbean and African (particularly Ethiopian) flavor, both of which it still exhibits today. However, the yuppies have moved in as well. The area has long been a bit of a more edgy alternative to Georgetown as far as dining, shopping and clubbing are concerned and it continues to be so. It's one of those areas where you could have in one apartment building, a Salvadoran family of eight living next to two struggling college aged musicians, living next to a computer engineer with an MBA, living next to a drug dealer, living next a foreign diplomat. It's very mix and match.

Other potential neighborhoods in DC are:

Shaw - U Street Corridor - formerly a gritty drug den, now an up and coming area with a large retail strip, nightclubs and luxury condos opening up left and right; good Metro access

Capitol Hill - many staffers on the Hill live here, located behind the Capitol Building in Southeast DC (otherwise, DC's "no go" region); can be pretty dicey in some sections, shifting from one street to the next; cool neighborhood though, albeit a bit removed from the other hip neighborhoods of DC

Columbia Heights - just North of Adams Morgan; more residential, not as much of a nightlife, but there is street retail and pedestrian life; some immigrants priced out of Adams Morgan moved here; area is revitalizing quickly and costs are rapidly increasing (it has been a pretty cheap place til recently)

Cleveland Park - a largely quiet and residential hood; lots of apartments and condos and single family homes with high density, and smallish retail strip; good for those who want the convenience of city living without the obscene noise and grit of other places

These are the standard "cool" neighborhoods of DC. There are places like Logan Circle, Penn Quarter, Mount Pleasant, Foggy Bottom and Tenleytown as well. Not to mention, the few neighborhoods in Alexandria, Arlington, Bethesda and Silver Spring amongst other places that share similar characteristics.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:22 AM

262 posts, read 1,956,107 times
dullnboring covered it extremely well, but I have just two ideas to throw in:

1) If you go with the recommendation for the U Street corridor, stay closer to 16th St than 9th St. This area spans enough blocks to greatly differ from street to street. I think the metro stop is on 13th. The police station is close to 16th plus the area is pretty happening so there are always people out - it's safer. Don't go with Shaw, it's very rough, especially around 8th & R. Homeless sleep in a park at New Jersey & O. (How do I know all this? Best buddy is a 3rd district cop, and my uncle was a 5D cop).

2) Another great choice is the area clustered between 7th/11th St, and D/H Sts. NW called Penn Quarter or Gallery Place. dullnboring mentioned it, but I'd put way above some of the places that she went into more detail about. It also used to be a "rough area" but has been booming with luxury condos, boutique shops, and great restaurants. It certainly would be my top choice out of the more "happening" neighborhoods. Also, it's centered around the Gallery Place and Metro Center Lines, which between the two of them cover EVERY color Metro Line (Green/Yellow/Red/Orange/Blue) for easy access to the rest of the city.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Old 12-19-2006, 08:20 AM

thanks everyone. i have been looking on craigslist for the penn quarter area, but now that i have more places to search, that helps.
there was nothing under $2,000 for a 1 bedroom in penn, but maybe this is a busy time of the year.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:02 AM

321 posts, read 1,484,166 times
Good advice, but one correction. There IS a Metro station in Foggy Bottom, it's located on 23rd and I. Foggy Bottom is an excellent choice. It is within walking distance to downtown (say 16th & K as the center), DuPont Circle, and Georgetown. The campus of George Washington University is there, but the State Department is also close by, so you have a good mix of students and professionals. It is also a short walk down to the Mall, where there is a lot of recreation. What's more, this whole section of NW DC is pretty nice, no seedy neighborhoods to go through -- though of course always stay vigilant. I used to do a lot of bicycling when I lived there and I could easily go to Capitol Hill or even bike the GW Parkway all the way to Old Town Alexandria. With your budget you aren't looking at anything huge or luxurious, but you shouldn't have too much trouble in any of these wonderful neighborhoods. Good luck!

Old 12-21-2006, 10:24 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,838,535 times
Yep. Foggy Bottom is nice and probably the most convenient residential neighborhood to most of the federal jobs in downtown DC, only a short Metro ride or walk away. The only drawback in my mind is the lack of a nightlife in the neighborhood itself (you can always walk to Georgetown or take Metro elsewhere) and relatively minimal streetlife and/or retail after dark. It's definitely a nice part of DC though and one of it's safest neighborhoods as well.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:18 PM

can anyone recommend a particular building? Also is it cheaper to move in Feb?

Old 12-27-2006, 04:00 PM

321 posts, read 1,484,166 times
Toronto, I just did a search on Craigslist. I did a search to Foggy Bottom, your max price, and it came up with several. All seem to be very good possibilities. I don't know if time of year makes much difference, but it's probably better than in the fall when the students are moving in.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 21,646 times
Hello people. An international organization hire me and they are relocating me and my family to Washington. I've 2 kids (3 years old and 1 year old). What should I expect from DC???, also, can anyone let me know the best are to live??? I’m looking for a home un the subs with at least 3 beds. Thanks to ALL!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 03:24 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,821,630 times
estdvx -

I see you're new to this forum. I'd recommend posting your question in a separate thread (start new thread).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC