Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:07 PM

43 posts, read 214,313 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I'm a 27 year old woman who was born and raised MA. I grew up in southeastern mass in the suburbs and have lived in the Back Bay area (right downtown) for the past 5 years. I have recently decided to make a "big move" when my current lease ends on August 31st, and several people have suggested the Washington D.C area for me. I want to give you a bit of background on myself and any feedback will be greatly appreciate.

I have a bachelor's degree in Journalism and P.R but currently work as a nanny in the South End of boston and take part time evening classes in Education. My next job position in D.C I HOPE would be in the same line of work, but I also have a ton of experience in retail, Hospitality, sales, and also public relations. What is the job market like for education and these above fields in the area?

Another bit about me....I do not have a license due to a seizure disorder that I have. I am otherwise healthy, but my doctor has recommended that I do not drive. This obviously puts me at HUGE disadvantage whereever I move, because I know most cities are not as "public transportation friendly" as boston is. In fact, I have more friends who DON'T have cars than DO. Is it even possible to live in D.C without a vehicle? PLEASE BE HONEST. I have heard that D.C has an equivalent, if not even better public transportation system than boston does. And if so, where are the best areas to live?

Furthermore, I am a VERY friendly, outgoing person. I have always found Boston to be cold, rude, and judgmental. I have heard that D.C is very friendly and I wanted to knwo if this is true. I did want to add however; that I am in fact gay and I am a hardcore liberal and this is something that I have always felt very comfortable being here in MA. .

Also, what is the nightlife like for a single in D.C? Is there a good "gay scene" in the area? I would love to hear aback from anyone on ANYTHING that I have asked about. Espeically if there is anyone who has made the same move I am considering making! I hope you all have a GREAT weekend! Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 01:34 PM

6,705 posts, read 6,707,372 times
I moved here from Boston, near Kenmore Square, and still go back there at least a few times a year.

DC is very similar, except the weather's better (still snows, but not nearly as much, and our trees are blooming now), and it's far less provincial, there's no Irish ghetto like Charlestown or Southie. Cost of living is comparable, although many buildings here are newer than equivalents in Boston.

DC's metro carries about 50% more people each day than the T and it's 100% nicer. I know a lot of people in the District and Arlington that have no car. Arlington is a lot like Brookline or Cambridge - a walkable suburb with subway stops and lots of 22-40 year old single professionals.

People who live here think it's very competitive, but compared to NY it's tame, and I find people here much less uptight than in Boston. Very easy to make friends here, because everyone's from somewhere else.

I'm straight, but we have a huge gay scene in Dupont Circle, with all the bars and trendy restaurants. The District and close-in suburbs are all very liberal. I used to call Montgomery County, Maryland "Little Massachusetts" because it's filled with wealthy liberals. Arlington, just across the river in Virginia, used to be conservative sometime in the distant past, but has become extremely liberal. In the last senate race it went 3-1 for the Democrat, and went for Kerry over Bush by the same margin.

If you're in the Back Bay now, I think you might like Adams Morgan or Dupont Circle here. Near the gay scene, and adjacent neighborhoods are rapidly gentrifying, much like the South End has over the last 10 years. And Dupont Circle is right on the Metro, you wouldn't want to deal with a car if you lived there.

I liked Boston, but like it here much better, and there are tons of New England transplants in this area. Plus it's very easy to get back to Boston from here, I often day trip there and back.

If you need any more advice, please feel free to PM me, or reply in this thread, I work with PR people and might be able to hook you up with some contacts depending on your specific goals and experience.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:45 PM

43 posts, read 214,313 times
hey thesegoto...how do I p.m you? I would LOVE to talk more...it seems as though you are doing everything that I want to do.

I'm also interested to knwo where you lived in kenmore square. i work in the south end but i also live in kenmore square...right around the corner from an tua nua. where did you live?

i am thining of moving sept 1st..i have been to D.C tons of times and I always thought I would like it more there than in Boston. It seems as though you do. How would I send you a message? I JUST signed on to this thing last night so I am new to it!

Old 04-05-2008, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 8,092 times
I'm moving from Boston this summer as well. I'm trying to figure out where to start looking for a place to live. I'm trying to make the Rent vs Buy decision and I'm a little concerned about the prices I see for both. I'm trying to figure out a place to live in DC or VA that's safe but still has plenty to do. I've lived in the North End and Dorchester. Any suggestions?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:39 AM

chesneyfan, click on the poster's screen name and click on "send a direct message" to send a private message

To your question, I like DC much better, although I still like Boston, and go back frequently. One factor is the diversity here. Not racial diversity, but the fact that you just get more people here from other parts of the country, as well as the world. It's setup to make anyone comfortable whether you're from Mississippi, Massachusetts, or Mauritius. Drawback is the flip side of this, I've had a number of friends move away, but then turned around and made new ones.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:34 AM

60 posts, read 449,342 times
howdy...send me a msg. Gay guy here from Southeastern Mass, living in DC for 8 years now. Happy to help

Old 04-09-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRwildcat View Post
I'm moving from Boston this summer as well. I'm trying to figure out where to start looking for a place to live. I'm trying to make the Rent vs Buy decision and I'm a little concerned about the prices I see for both. I'm trying to figure out a place to live in DC or VA that's safe but still has plenty to do. I've lived in the North End and Dorchester. Any suggestions?
We have no equivalent to the North End. Columbia Heights is a gentrifying mix of Hispanics and 20-somethings, so might be a little like parts of Dorchester. Parts of Arlington fit that description as well, although Arlington is typically safer than the District.

Prices in the DC area are almost exactly the same as Boston, high, but not quite NY or SF levels, although most places here are newer than what you get in Boston. VA has a lot of new apartment complex right on the Metro. I'd rent to start out to get a feel for the neighborhoods.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:45 PM

161 posts, read 696,888 times
and it's far less provincial, there's no Irish ghetto like Charlestown or Southie"

Hahahahahaha you won't mind the nonsense Southie has once you find yourself in the real ghetto. Aka 40 percent of DC. Dont do it, I hate DC.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:28 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,289 times
Richmond is such a gem!

Old 04-11-2008, 06:04 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,109 times
I recently visited Boston for the first time. I remember thinking "Wow...this is .... just like DC!"

Besides the diversity and the accents, they seem very similar.

Job market, public transportation are good. There are tons of liberals, and a great gay scene.

However, friendly? Eh, I wouldn't say so. It can be hard to meet people. If you have a niche, like being gay, you'll do much better. But just like meeting friends in Adams Morgan or in Georgetown? Not as easy IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC