Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 06:14 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
How is the government not already incompetent with all the billions it spent overseas in failed invasions and never-ending wars?

Reduce the bloat and send the bureaucrats, leftists, phony conservatives and fake-wealth generating folks back home. Stop giving aid to ungrateful countries like Israel, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and others to the tune of 30+ billion dollars.

Privatize everything that can easily be sued.
Life isn’t simple. That’s all I’m going to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 10:26 AM

490 posts, read 649,710 times
They should move it. Here’s why - it’s in the center of the country, which I think would better represent the east vs west.
- It’s in central time. People on the west coast wouldn’t be hours behind. Also, easier for congress to get to and from sessions arriving from western states.
- they could build a city from scratch, high speed rails, smart highways, roads that represent the automobile, improved mass transit
- protection from hurricanes and tropical storms
- less pollution, as it would no longer be in a valley between VA and MD.

Cons
- cost
- wouldn’t solve any problems with inept, corrupt, and entrenched autocrats
- VA and MD would immediately plunge into a fiscal hole (not that I care)

Old 09-07-2019, 11:46 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Lol hilarious and yet so telling to watch people rooting for the DC region to lose, when none of what they’re wishing is coming true in our lifetimes.

The capital is not leaving Washington DC nor the East Coast for that matter.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:45 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
They should move it. Here’s why - it’s in the center of the country, which I think would better represent the east vs west.
- It’s in central time. People on the west coast wouldn’t be hours behind. Also, easier for congress to get to and from sessions arriving from western states.
- they could build a city from scratch, high speed rails, smart highways, roads that represent the automobile, improved mass transit
- protection from hurricanes and tropical storms
- less pollution, as it would no longer be in a valley between VA and MD.

Cons
- cost
- wouldn’t solve any problems with inept, corrupt, and entrenched autocrats
- VA and MD would immediately plunge into a fiscal hole (not that I care)
A few things:

If the government were to move, Kansas wouldn't be the first choice. Atlanta probably would be. It is a major transit hub and relatively close to the East Coast. Nice weather, cheaper COL, but the traffic would be a horror.

Time zones don't really matter. The world can and does exist currently with the way time zones are now. That's not a big motivator for such a move.

Moving from an area with established infrastructure to an area where hardly any exists would take generations to establish a seat of government. It would be a hundred-year trillion-dollar move. You can't even get the Federal Government to relocate the FBI 15 miles outside of DC. Let alone move what would amount to an entire medium-sized city. You forget you'll need offices, schools, hospitals, airports, homes, services, etc. etc.

What are, " roads that represent the automobile?"

Sure, move the government away from hurricanes and tropical storms that affect the DC area with any meaningful severity every 5-10 years to Kansas - TORNADO ALLEY. I'm sure employees would love hiding underground from tornadoes every year.

Also, DC is not located in a valley between VA and MD. It is not wedged in between hills or mountains. A simple terrain map will show that it is east of the Blue Ridge Mountain range in VA. Everything else is pretty flat from there all the way to the Atlantic Ocean. DC sits on a piedmont.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:29 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
The capital won't move, but some parts of agencies have (although I don't think very many will continue to). I don't understand the hate for all the federal workers. It is no longer a super cush job.

Every few months they have to go through the humiliation in front of the whole nation/all the media, sitting at the edge of their seats to see whether or not they will be shutdown (not allowed to work). In a few weeks (end of this month), the drama will begin. Even though they usually get back pay, it has got to be humiliating not being allowed to work, and hearing about it 24/7 on all major news cycles.

The part of government to be mad it is Congress. They are the ones who are the most inefficient. Yet, they still get paid and get to work during shutdowns, while as the federal government workers are helpless and powerless pawns.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The capital won't move, but some parts of agencies have (although I don't think very many will continue to). I don't understand the hate for all the federal workers. It is no longer a super cush job.

Every few months they have to go through the humiliation in front of the whole nation/all the media, sitting at the edge of their seats to see whether or not they will be shutdown (not allowed to work). In a few weeks (end of this month), the drama will begin. Even though they usually get back pay, it has got to be humiliating not being allowed to work, and hearing about it 24/7 on all major news cycles.

The part of government to be mad it is Congress. They are the ones who are the most inefficient. Yet, they still get paid and get to work during shutdowns, while as the federal government workers are helpless and powerless pawns.
I know a lot of folks who go to the fed side from private industry when they are ready to retire. The work is less demanding and you get a lot more benefits, cheaper healthcare, etc. A lot of people would rather face a shutdown than a layoff.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:43 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I know a lot of folks who go to the fed side from private industry when they are ready to retire. The work is less demanding and you get a lot more benefits, cheaper healthcare, etc. A lot of people would rather face a shutdown than a layoff.
True. There are definitely trade-offs. But I just think, especially in this era of divided Congress, the federal government isn't quite the cush job it used to be. I was watching something on one of the networks during the shutdown, and NASA was saying they have had a much harder time recruiting young employees since the shutdowns. Although, I agree with you; in the private sector, permanent layoffs and cuts that sway with the economy are pretty frequent in certain industries, so a shutdown doesn't look like as bad of a trade-off.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:43 PM

257 posts, read 223,174 times
Federal employees get a paid-for vacation during shutdowns. The people who actually do the work for the government, contractors, do not get paid at all. I have little sympathy for federal workers and much more respect for contractors who bust their butts working hard for this nation while government workers do little and still get rewarded.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
Federal employees get a paid-for vacation during shutdowns. The people who actually do the work for the government, contractors, do not get paid at all. I have little sympathy for federal workers and much more respect for contractors who bust their butts working hard for this nation while government workers do little and still get rewarded.
Do you think the national employment model should mirror how Amazon treats its employees where people cry at their desk or in the bathrooms? At least the Federal Government is the closest to civilized treatment of its workforce compared to private industry and the rest of the world. Private industry in this country has a long way to go as far as the treatment of its workforce.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:10 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

Yeah, it sucks being paid for not working. Is there back pay when steel mills and coal mines are closed because of government regulations there paper pushers implement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: