Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 19,132 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My daughter is going to work as an intern in Rosslyn, VA starting June 2nd for 10 weeks. Do you have any suggestions on finding a place to stay in the area? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 11:22 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Look for a sublet in Arlington or in DC near the colleges (Georgetown, GW). Alexandria would work too, but it's a little farther. Also, make sure there's easy access to the blue or orange metro lines

Old 04-25-2008, 11:59 AM

12 posts, read 53,234 times
Most of the colleges rent out dorm rooms for the summer, and while they're not the most glamorous accomodations they allow you to meet other college students who are in town for internships. I stayed at AU when I interned in 2002 and it gave me an opportunity to meet a lot of other interns from all over the country, many of whom I'm still friends with today. AU would probably be too far to commute to Rosslyn, but Georgetown and GWU are the perfect distance.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:40 PM

593 posts, read 2,439,115 times
The Court House and Clarendon neighborhoods would be the best places for her to live. These are the two closest neighborhoods to Rosslyn, and both are right along the Metro Orange Line. They are both very safe neighborhoods, and a lot of younger people live there. Lots of shops, pubs, Whole Foods, Barnes & Noble, are right there so she will be able to grocery shop and have fun on the weekends all within walking distance.

There are a bunch of summer sublets in these neighborhoods, and they get snatched up quickly so you are smart to plan this out now (instead of mid-May). You can probably find a room in a house or apartment for around $750/mo.

Here is a Craigslist listing of Sublets in Clarendon:
classifieds - craigslist
And in Courthouse:
classifieds - craigslist

Just check these listings every morning and email the Landlords right away! Your daughter will really enjoy this area of Arlington.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:42 PM

Thank you very much. I will pass the information to her.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:10 PM

it is so nice of you to reply so quick. I really apprecite all the helps. I have passed the web site to my daughter and hopefully she will find one soon. We live very far away from DC and it is the first time experience for us, especially Thanks again. I will let you know the good news.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:25 PM

593 posts, read 2,439,115 times
Of course! I moved here from Boston not long ago, so I know it can be a challenge to find a safe and fun living situation.

Just a little more info on living+working in the Rosslyn-Court House-Clarendon area:

--for transportation, you can get around easily here without a car. If you need a car for once in awhile trips, there are ZipCars all over these streets that you can rent for ~$8/hr. Zipcar - Car sharing, cars by the hour or day

--Great area for biking too. If you are flying here and can't bring a bike with you, just get a cheap one on Craigslist and sell it on there at the end of the summer

--and of course, Metro Rail and bus can get you all over Northern Virginia, throughout DC, etc. Metro Opens Doors

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC