Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 10:46 PM

7 posts, read 9,165 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm going to be starting a new job in downtown D.C., so I'm looking for recommendations for good neighborhoods that are metro accessible (red, blue, orange or silver lines) and would appeal to a young twenties, single female.

I'm hoping to find something that's safe, diverse and lively and has a decent grocery store. My budget is $1000-$1300 for a room in a shared apartment/house.

I do have a car so North Arlington may be a better bet, but I'm not feeling the vibe of the place. Clarendon is fun but the whole area is too homogeneous for my taste.

Thanks!

Last edited by citygal97; 12-14-2019 at 11:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 05:56 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I'd recommend checking out Van Ness on the Red Line. It's a diverse, lively and safe neighborhood along Connecticut Ave NW which is also home to the University of the District of Columbia and Howard U's Law School. There's a decent Giant supermarket there plus other shops and several restaurants. It's also very green/wooded right off of Rock Creek Park and Soapstone Valley Park.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:27 AM

506 posts, read 476,256 times
Downtown Silver Spring could work if you don't mind being out of the city. You can also look at the SW Waterfront in DC. Be prepared to pay a lot to park your car if you pick a place within DC, and can't/won't park on the street.

Old 12-16-2019, 09:58 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
Downtown Silver Spring could work if you don't mind being out of the city. You can also look at the SW Waterfront in DC. Be prepared to pay a lot to park your car if you pick a place within DC, and can't/won't park on the street.
SW waterfront is very safe, great location and affordable.

On street parking isn’t bad at all in the neighborhood.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:20 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
I've lived all over DC and Mount Vernon was my favorite location by far. Just north of Chinatown and a short walk (10 minutes) to the Gallery Place or Metro Center Metro Stations. I wouldn't go to Van Ness. Very boring area on Connecticut Avenue. I lived in Chevy Chase for a year and was bored out of my mind. SW Waterfront is eh in my opinion and very expensive. I lived in Navy Yard for 4 years which is a nice area. Ivy City is growing and a pretty decent spot but has some seedy characters close to downtown DC. There is no Metro close by though. Florida Ave. is the closest and there are free shuttles to take you down there. You'll probably have people send you a bunch of options based on their favorites. There are lots of great neighborhoods near downtown. It just depends on the vibe you're looking for.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:16 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
SW waterfront is very safe, great location and affordable.

On street parking isn’t bad at all in the neighborhood.
affordable

Old 12-18-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
affordable
Agreed. SW Waterfront isn't affordable generally speaking. It depends on your income level though. For some its cheap while for others its out of reach. It's all relative.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:54 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
affordable

I mean. The older properties between Navy Yard and the Wharf. No new-builds or properties located like. Besides the wharf

Old 12-19-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I mean. The older properties between Navy Yard and the Wharf. No new-builds or properties located like. Besides the wharf
You're right. The area between the Navy Yard and SW Watefront is cheap but also not a desirable area. The projects are near the homicide unit of the police station. If you go south of M towards the water I'm sure the prices have been up throughout the years but that 1 mile stretch by M Street is not desirable between Safeway and the ballpark.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:06 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I've lived all over DC and Mount Vernon was my favorite location by far. Just north of Chinatown and a short walk (10 minutes) to the Gallery Place or Metro Center Metro Stations. I wouldn't go to Van Ness. Very boring area on Connecticut Avenue.
Van Ness is no less boring than Mount Vernon Place and two completely different vibes. Van Ness is at a Metro stop and within minutes can be at Woodley Park/Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle or Farragut West/Downtown not to mention neighboring Cleveland Park which has some nice options for leisure time. As a single female looking for a place where feeling safe is a consideration and wanting a diverse neighborhood there's no comparison between the two, Van Ness hands down. Not to mention the aesthetics of the nearly treeless urban landscape around Mt Vernon versus the greenery/woods surrounding Van Ness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC