Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 04:23 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times

Advertisements

Yeah it's beyond ridiculous. I know a ton of property in the city isn't on the tax rolls and it needs to make up for that lost revenue, but geesh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 10:09 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,946,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While this is a point well taken, there is also something to be said about enacting laws that actually solve problems, as opposed to merely lining the government's pockets. If speed cameras and red light cameras actually made us safer, then I'd say keep them. Hell, even increase the fees. But this doesn't seem to be the case, so I will continue to call out government greed here.
Red light cameras absolutely make us safer. About a thousand people a year are killed in this country due to people running red lights.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Some laws are meant to extract extra tax from the public in the guise of (fees). People called it when cameras were being installed. Ten years ago, we called all the fees and tickets DC started dishing out, the "DC visitor tax". Now we encourage all of our friends and family to valet. Parking is too risky.

And now that Uber is here, it is safer to Uber into DC. No risk of speed, red light, or parking fees. And as some valet fees are $20, Uber comes out the cheapest option. Or Metro if you live near a station.
Non residents shouldn't bring cars into the District anyway.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:39 AM

30,463 posts, read 17,896,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Red light cameras absolutely make us safer. About a thousand people a year are killed in this country due to people running red lights.
There's a disconnect here. That people are killed each year due to people running red lights does not equate to red light cameras making us safer.

By the way, more people are killed as a result of speeding each year than by people running the red lights. Yet, cutting the speed limits and installing more speed cameras in NYC (as one example) has not decreased the number of pedestrian deaths as an example. The goal may be laudable, but it doesn't mean that its effective.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
There's a disconnect here. That people are killed each year due to people running red lights does not equate to red light cameras making us safer.

By the way, more people are killed as a result of speeding each year than by people running the red lights. Yet, cutting the speed limits and installing more speed cameras in NYC (as one example) has not decreased the number of pedestrian deaths as an example. The goal may be laudable, but it doesn't mean that its effective.
Zero people died last year in DC due to red light runners.

QED

Old 02-26-2020, 09:03 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,627,043 times
Maybe DC should use some of that money to, idk, focus on all of the increase in crime that's been going on.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:10 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,194,778 times
Default 16 million tourists in DC @yr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
Saw this on automotive forum so Im sharing the link here. Personally ive said this for years but its good to know someone like AAA sees what i see. I know alot of u are like "well no one should drive in DC anyway! use the metro or the buses" but that only holds so much validity when the metro is nowhere near as reliable as it once was and privileged entitled gentrifiers wanna hog all the access to reliable public transit lines to themselves. Personally, my observations show the cameras make traffic worse, and more accident prone, esp on 295. Puttin cameras on every major thoroughfare (esp New York Ave) which slows down traffic flow to that of a highly viscous fluid and on 295 people speed between cameras and then slam their brakes to avoid triggering them, causing even more accidents......I only cut through DC now bc Waze tells u where all the cameras are.....

https://wjla.com/features/7-on-your-...arking-tickets

WASHINGTON (WJLA/ABC7) – D.C. has long been considered one of the most onerous places in the country for traffic fines, seeing a steady climb year to year in tickets issued and revenue generated. But recently the District broke into stunning new territory, issuing more than $1 billion in tickets in just three years.

I don't know another local jurisdiction in the entire nation that has generated as much money from traffic tickets, parking tickets and moving violations," said John Townsend, Public Relations Manager of AAA Mid-Atlantic. “That tells us that things are out of control and out of hand in the District of Columbia.

I lived in a resort area and in the first hour there, I had my first traffic ticket in 16 years. Tourists are marks to be exploited for cash every which way.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:43 AM

30,463 posts, read 17,896,116 times
Quote:
Zero people died last year in DC due to red light runners.

QED
Again, there's a disconnect. Firstly, not only does correlation not equal causation, but you'd need to have figures FROM DC over the years to even begin to make a correlation argument. Giving me numbers throughout the country is irrelevant to how things are in DC specifically. I'd wager that red light camera deaths in DC are low as a general matter (even before the installation of red light cameras) as there is a relatively long yellow light window in DC; much longer than things are in NYC for example and throughout much of the rest of the country I've found.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:25 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Non residents shouldn't bring cars into the District anyway.
Says who????

Old 02-26-2020, 10:31 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,018 posts, read 7,404,469 times
Quote:
All you have to do is obey the law.
I agree, and I say this as someone who needs to watch my own speeding while driving.

Don't get upset if you're the one doing it. Pay the fine, deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: