Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite D.C "old money" suburb
Potomac 5 12.82%
Great Falls 6 15.38%
Chevy Chase 22 56.41%
McLean 4 10.26%
Travilah 0 0%
Falls Church 2 5.13%
Davidsonville 0 0%
Oakton 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 06:43 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,626,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol. You moved to Chevy Chase for excitement and night life vibe? Doesn't sound like a well thought out calculated move. I'd move there specifically if I wanted to live in an uppity, quiet, laid back neighborhood, with good schools. That's what it's good for.

Chevy Chase residents fought tooth and nail to block the Purple Line from coming there, because they want it to remain closed off and quiet, without a bunch of people from outside the neighborhood passing through.
Where did you get excitement and nightlife out of my post? I never remotely said anything like that. You may want to put your reading glasses on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 08:26 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Where did you get excitement and nightlife out of my post? I never remotely said anything like that. You may want to put your reading glasses on.
You said it was boring, and the restaurants and vibe sucked. I don't know why that would have been much of a surprise to you.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Lol. You moved to Chevy Chase for excitement and night life vibe? Doesn't sound like a well thought out calculated move. I'd move there specifically if I wanted to live in an uppity, quiet, laid back neighborhood, with good schools. That's what it's good for.

Chevy Chase residents fought tooth and nail to block the Purple Line from coming there, because they want it to remain closed off and quiet, without a bunch of people from outside the neighborhood passing through.
Dude, read your message. You insinuated I moved to CC for nightlife and fun. Never did I ever say that. I moved there because I wanted to remain in DC and be close to my office in Bethesda. I never said I moved to CC for a fun life. It was a very calculated move on my part actually.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:39 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
I lived on the DC side of Chevy Chase for a year and hated it. It's very boring. Most of the homeowners are older and have probably been here for years. The restaurants and vibe suck. I moved here because I wanted to remain in DC but be close to my office in North Bethesda. I couldn't wait for my lease to end so I could get out of there.
Your post mentioned the place being boring. Excitement= the opposite of boring. I erroneously brought up nightlife, but you also mentioned the vibe. I don't what type of "vibe" one would expect as a transplant into a mostly rich older neighborhood with majority McMansions around. But hey I guess that just my prerogative.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Your post mentioned the place being boring. Excitement= the opposite of boring. I erroneously brought up nightlife, but you also mentioned the vibe. I don't what type of "vibe" one would expect as a transplant into a mostly rich older neighborhood with majority McMansions around. But hey I guess that just my prerogative.
I wasn't a transplant. I moved from another area of DC.

Old 06-04-2020, 02:04 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,114 times
Not sure if I would consider Chevy Chase a "suburb" as it straddles the DC-MD border, half of Chevy Chase is within DC limits.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:26 AM

290 posts, read 633,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
We all know D.C has plenty of these old money suburbs. Which of these do you like the most?
Kind of an odd, thrown together list there. Most aren't even in DC and I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "old money" here. DC isn't generally an old money, social register, Boston Brahmin kind of town. That's more in the Northeast in New York, Boston and Philly or the old southern debutante version in places like Atlanta, Charleston, etc. People generally move here to work and network, not simply to hobnob and social climb. There's a reason why the Real Housewives franchise bombed here when they tried to do "Real Housewives of Potomac".

I guess Georgetown, Cleveland Park and Chevy Chase most qualify as "old money" areas of DC, as well as more secluded areas like Palisades, Foxhall and Spring Valley as well. Most of the homeowners are older, highly educated and accomplished professionals (or retired) in the federal government, law, medicine, lobbying, IT and even some military (though most of the senior career military officers live in northern Virginia because of the Pentagon). If people have family money they're usually pretty quiet about it so unless you're in their circles you wouldn't really know. There's also a huge population of international investors and residents as well so the stereotype of the WASPy cloistered communities doesn't really hold up. The big houses you see in those places are as likely to be owned by an Asian-American or Arab family of doctors, lawyers or STEM company executives as much as Buffy and Biff.

Last edited by mikeyo321; 06-11-2020 at 08:41 AM..

Old 06-11-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyo321 View Post
Kind of an odd, thrown together list there. Most aren't even in DC and I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "old money" here. DC isn't generally an old money, social register, Boston Brahmin kind of town. That's more in the Northeast in New York, Boston and Philly or the old southern debutante version in places like Atlanta, Charleston, etc. People generally move here to work and network, not simply to hobnob and social climb. There's a reason why the Real Housewives franchise bombed here when they tried to do "Real Housewives of Potomac".

I guess Georgetown, Cleveland Park and Chevy Chase most qualify as "old money" areas of DC, as well as more secluded areas like Palisades, Foxhall and Spring Valley as well. Most of the homeowners are older, highly educated and accomplished professionals (or retired) in the federal government, law, medicine, lobbying, IT and even some military (though most of the senior career military officers live in northern Virginia because of the Pentagon). If people have family money they're usually pretty quiet about it so unless you're in their circles you wouldn't really know. There's also a huge population of international investors and residents as well so the stereotype of the WASPy cloistered communities doesn't really hold up. The big houses you see in those places are as likely to be owned by an Asian-American or Arab family of doctors, lawyers or STEM company executives as much as Buffy and Biff.
Old money is just generally someone who has inherited wealth through several generations. Overall, I don't know if Chevy Chase, DC is truly old money. I lived there and most of my neighbors who were homeowners were older. I'd assume most aren't old money and just merely professionals (retired or still active) that probably bought several years ago and have merely enjoyed the appreciation in their properties.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:03 AM

38 posts, read 21,187 times
Quote:
I lived on the DC side of Chevy Chase for a year and hated it. It's very boring. Most of the homeowners are older and have probably been here for years. The restaurants and vibe suck. I moved here because I wanted to remain in DC but be close to my office in North Bethesda. I couldn't wait for my lease to end so I could get out of there.

You don't exactly sound old money though, which is what this thread is about. I agree with the other poster that you seemed to seriously miscalculate what Chevy Chase is like before moving. Hopefully you found a better fit

Old 09-29-2020, 03:41 PM

14 posts, read 24,695 times
i want a house in potomac with a jacuzzi and a sauna and a tennis court. But, who will my neighbors be? I guess if the house is big enough it doesnt matter. Mclean is nice too. Chevy chase is DC, its old money but I dont know if I consider it exactly suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC