Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2020, 04:24 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBlackDude View Post
The racism in this city is getting worse. The racist gentrifiers are now walking around with their smug sense of accomplishment since they have displaced a large number of African Americans. It sickens me.
You may be onto something here. I'll agree with that. The majority of gentrifiers are white and not from metropolitan areas. I can't tell you how many people in DC I met who were from Kansas or some other suburban or rural area. And I'm not talking St. Louis or Kansas City. I'm talking the suburban/rural areas.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:58 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Aren't there a lot of African American gentrifiers also?

I personally think gentrification is/can be a great thing (there's a difference between bulldozing everything and infill/replacing things that should be replaced). It's 2020 in DC. I think gentrification from the past was to segregate and hurt the African American community. Now, all the money that pulled out of areas for poorer black people are now getting reinvested in.

There are tools that can make it equitable for everyone. Mixed-use subsidized housing, section 8 and housing vouchers, etc. I don't like segregation - particularly by income. I think there is more downside to an area being left without an investment in money and the diversity (of income, education, race, etc.) that follows. I think being in an area that is inclusive of everyone (including income) will bring more opportunities and safety to the youth that lives in these neighborhoods.

And in my opinion, it's not so much a color issue, rather an income problem. White people face the same situations. They get pushed way out into rural areas of metro areas where they lived closer to the primary city as certain suburbs turn expensive and exclusive. And they too have lower than deserved education funding. They have resentments of growing cities and their growing suburbs growing out and out where they keep getting pushed back further. I can't count the number of times I've heard Southern people in growing regions complain and say they moved away from XYZ town because it's growing too much and taken over by relocating northerners.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Aren't there a lot of African American gentrifiers also?

I personally think gentrification is/can be a great thing (there's a difference between bulldozing everything and infill/replacing things that should be replaced). It's 2020 in DC. I think gentrification from the past was to segregate and hurt the African American community. Now, all the money that pulled out of areas for poorer black people are now getting reinvested in.

There are tools that can make it equitable for everyone. Mixed-use subsidized housing, section 8 and housing vouchers, etc. I don't like segregation - particularly by income. I think there is more downside to an area being left without an investment in money and the diversity (of income, education, race, etc.) that follows. I think being in an area that is inclusive of everyone (including income) will bring more opportunities and safety to the youth that lives in these neighborhoods.

And in my opinion, it's not so much a color issue, rather an income problem. White people face the same situations. They get pushed way out into rural areas of metro areas where they lived closer to the primary city as certain suburbs turn expensive and exclusive. And they too have lower than deserved education funding. They have resentments of growing cities and their growing suburbs growing out and out where they keep getting pushed back further. I can't count the number of times I've heard Southern people in growing regions complain and say they moved away from XYZ town because it's growing too much and taken over by relocating northerners.
Most of the ones I saw in my area were white. I really didn't come across many black or other race gentrifiers in the neighborhoods I lived in.

I think gentrifying is a great thing. I do think it sucks it pushes people out of neighborhoods that their families have been in for generations. Also, a lot of minorities are able to take advantage of the affordable housing in DC which allow quite a few to pay reduced rent in luxury buildings. I feel it upsets a lot of people (I was one of them) knowing my some of my black neighbors were from DC and couldn't afford to live in the same place at market rent I was living in. I think this upsets a lot of people though. I lived in Foundry Lofts and Twelve12 and it had around 20% of people living here here that couldn't afford to live there on their own.

I can't say I agree with you regarding segregation based on income. People typically want to live in areas with people in similar income brackets. I couldn't see you're idea flying in places like Potomac or Chevy Chase. I lived in buildings with low income people and I didn't like it at all. The smell of weed, trashing common areas, etc. was usually done by minority renters who were part of special programs.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:44 AM

48 posts, read 32,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Most of the ones I saw in my area were white. I really didn't come across many black or other race gentrifiers in the neighborhoods I lived in.

I think gentrifying is a great thing. I do think it sucks it pushes people out of neighborhoods that their families have been in for generations. Also, a lot of minorities are able to take advantage of the affordable housing in DC which allow quite a few to pay reduced rent in luxury buildings. I feel it upsets a lot of people (I was one of them) knowing my some of my black neighbors were from DC and couldn't afford to live in the same place at market rent I was living in. I think this upsets a lot of people though. I lived in Foundry Lofts and Twelve12 and it had around 20% of people living here here that couldn't afford to live there on their own.

I can't say I agree with you regarding segregation based on income. People typically want to live in areas with people in similar income brackets. I couldn't see you're idea flying in places like Potomac or Chevy Chase. I lived in buildings with low income people and I didn't like it at all. The smell of weed, trashing common areas, etc. was usually done by minority renters who were part of special programs.
Why are you assuming that all black people in the building utilize “special programs”? I guess it’s fair to say that in your mind, Black People don’t work and are just lazy. Give it a rest and recognize your white privilege.

This poet explains white privilege perfectly. Take a look...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkz5UmXugzk

Old 08-01-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Why are you assuming that all black people in the building utilize “special programs”? I guess it’s fair to say that in your mind, Black People don’t work and are just lazy. Give it a rest and recognize your white privilege.

This poet explains white privilege perfectly. Take a look...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkz5UmXugzk
I think if you can pull the stats, the majority of people in the special programs in DC, are indeed, black. I'm not making assumptions. I knew several of them, and I hate to break this to you, they were all black. I don't assume every black person in a nice place is in a special program. All I said is the ones in the buildings I lived in were black.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I think if you can pull the stats, the majority of people in the special programs in DC, are indeed, black. I'm not making assumptions. I knew several of them, and I hate to break this to you, they were all black. I don't assume every black person in a nice place is in a special program. All I said is the ones in the buildings I lived in were black.
Please stop trying to backtrack. You made an assumption because of your own prejudices against black people. Learn to own your racism instead of backtracking when you’re called out.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Please stop trying to backtrack. You made an assumption because of your own prejudices against black people. Learn to own your racism instead of backtracking when you’re called out.
Backtrack? The people in the special programs in the places I lived were black. That's a fact. You seriously need help.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:42 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
There is a lot of pathetic, racist white trash in this thread.

What a miserable disgrace.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
There is a lot of pathetic, racist white trash in this thread.

What a miserable disgrace.
Oh boy. Another one. White trash is someone who is white and poor. Also, they usually live in the south. I didn't realize you knew peoples race and social class from reading these posts. Interesting.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Oh boy. Another one. White trash is someone who is white and poor. Also, they usually live in the south. I didn't realize you knew peoples race and social class from reading these posts. Interesting.
What do you mean “another one”? Anytime a black person speaks about racism, they’re called problematic by white people. I suppose you and some of the other racists want black people to just “shut up and know their place”. Sorry, this isn’t 1945.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: