Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 10:28 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The rent for a 1-bedroom apartment around Logan Circle and 14th street seems to go for around $2,000-$3,000 a month. That means you need to be making $80,000-$120,000 a year to be properly able to afford to live there.

It seems to me that a gentrifier around that area who sees that you live there would want to know you better and be curious about what you do for a living.
Why? Just because OP is Black?

Old 07-15-2020, 11:26 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBlackDude View Post
Something definitely needs to be done about this. A huge rally or protest highlighting the behaviors of these people would definitely be an appropriate response.
The only thing that comes to mind why they may be acting rude to you is because they're assuming you're part of the affordable housing program in DC because of your skin color. I know when I lived in Navy Yard, I think developers need to have up to like 20% of their units for low income earners. Personally, I don't find it fair that I need to pay a market rate while the guy down the hall in the program is paying half. I never treated them any differently but I knew (or assumed) exactly who they were. I hate to even ask this but I'm going to, are you part of a program that is allowing you to live in a luxury property for less than market rates? Or are you a regular tenant paying market rates? That's the only gripe I can see most people having with you.

Old 07-15-2020, 01:38 PM

48 posts, read 32,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
The only thing that comes to mind why they may be acting rude to you is because they're assuming you're part of the affordable housing program in DC because of your skin color. I know when I lived in Navy Yard, I think developers need to have up to like 20% of their units for low income earners. Personally, I don't find it fair that I need to pay a market rate while the guy down the hall in the program is paying half. I never treated them any differently but I knew (or assumed) exactly who they were. I hate to even ask this but I'm going to, are you part of a program that is allowing you to live in a luxury property for less than market rates? Or are you a regular tenant paying market rates? That's the only gripe I can see most people having with you.
Why would you assume I’m part of the affordable housing program? You sound like one of those people who assumes that every black person is economically disadvantaged. I pay the market rate price. Assuming that every black person is economically disadvantaged is racist.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:04 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
Quote:
I recently moved into one of the luxury apartments in Logan Circle on 14th Street. It seems like there’s some white person being disrespectful to me every single day that I’ve been here. Mind you, there’s only 5 other black people in the building. It almost feels like these white folks are threatened and upset that a black guy lives in the building.
Thats exactly what it is....

Quote:
I have experienced hostile stares and looks from multiple people in the building. I even had one guy ask me if I was building maintenance. I’m trying to maintain my composure but I’m getting ready to just have an outburst and go off on all of the people in the building who do this.
Dont go off....just look back and say "BOO!" Thatll scare em off real quick lol

Quote:
I have written to the management company and they have been fairly unresponsive. I feel like 95% of the residents look at me like I don’t belong in “their” building. I should look into possibly suing some of the residents and the building for racial discrimination.
Management wont do nothing. You pay rent like everyone else. You paid your deposit and did whatever else is required to live in this building. You belong there just as much as they do.....act like it!

Quote:
It’s like these folks think that black people are invading their spaces. Their attitude amounts to them only tolerating black people but not truly embracing black people. I believe that if they had their way, black people wouldn’t be allowed to even live or set foot in the city.
Ironic considering most of these gentrifiers invaded black neighborhoods to have the luxury amentities they enjoy now. Just imagine when they first move into the neighborhood and they bring the same racist profiling attitudes that they had in the lily white boring suburbs they moved there from, despite being in a overwhelmingly black neighborhood. Gentrifiers essentially wanna make the city like the suburbs they came from but with better transit access. You live in a hyper gentrified neighborhood now but it doesnt change the fact that for many years it was a black neighborhood that unfortunately was best with ghetto problems. The gentrifiers are on a mission to erase the part of the citys history where DC was nicknamed Chocolate City from 1970-2010. And the city has had black people living there since colonial times. But gentrifiers are breaking their neck to erase that history. The gentrifiers ultimate goal is to make DC into another Portland, Seattle or San Francisco, where you barely see any black people at all. the joke is that DC went from Chocolate City to Vanilla Village. A building similar to yours filed a complaint against a phone store that blasted gogo music and they tried to shut it down. the local blacks fought back with the Dont Mute DC movement, which is a pent up response to alot of the racism youre now experiencing.

Have fun in DC but this town has become a sterile gentrified wasteland. Enjoy

Old 07-15-2020, 04:05 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
Quote:
whether he pays market rate or reduced rate is none of your focking business.......mind the business that pays you

Last edited by Yac; 08-12-2020 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 07-15-2020, 04:57 PM

I made some flyers and put them under everyone’s door in the building. The flyers said “There are racists in this building targeting black people. They give folks strange looks and are generally hateful and prejudiced against black people.” I cannot wait to see the reactions from these folks now.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:21 PM

I’m at the point where I’m going to start asking them “what the f*ck are you looking at?”. I think I’m going to just do that so they learn not to do it anymore.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:39 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
I have experienced hostile stares and looks from multiple people in the building. I even had one guy ask me if I was building maintenance. I’m trying to maintain my composure but I’m getting ready to just have an outburst and go off on all of the people in the building who do this.
When you see him ask him if he is here to work on the plumbing

Old 07-15-2020, 06:41 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Keep your cool man. Use sarcasm.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:32 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Quote:
Why would you assume I’m part of the affordable housing program? You sound like one of those people who assumes that every black person is economically disadvantaged. I pay the market rate price. Assuming that every black person is economically disadvantaged is racist.
Frankly, it is none of their business how much anyone pays in rent. I’m sure as a black guy living in Ballston, my neighbors have the same question. I probably wouldn’t be living here without roommates but I can assure you plenty of young black folks make $70-110k and pay a grip in rent.

RLCMA you sound like you have an axe to grind against people who qualify for a little help to better their circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: