Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2020, 11:58 AM

290 posts, read 629,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBlackDude View Post
This is exactly why more Black professionals should consider moving to neighborhoods like Logan Circle and Shaw. I think this would create a shift in the demographics and possibly create more opportunities for integration. It may even help with altering some of the biased and prejudiced attitudes that many of these people harbor toward Black people.
As a long-time DC area resident it's so funny to me because most of these same people wouldn't have been caught DEAD in Logan Circle or Shaw a mere 15-20 years ago. These type of 20something and 30something professional folks simply migrated east from suburban-style upper Northwest and denser neighborhoods Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan and Mount Pleasant (which believe it or not were considered "edgy" into the early 2000s) over to Shaw, Logan Circle and Columbia Heights and pretend like they've always owned the place. LOL When that Amy Cooper incident happened over a month ago it reminded me of all the nasty, racially and class-tinged dog park fights I'd come across around these neighborhoods in DC in recent years. Going into a hip new restaurant or bar in these neighborhoods often feels like going into the snobbiest elite high school cafeteria you can imagine. I used to love to go into DC but now that I'm in my 40s I don't feel like putting up with it anymore and I'm comfortably camped out in the Northern Virginia suburbs. I do hope that some of the worst of the gentrifying abuse starts to subside a bit as the housing market inevitably cools off during the pandemic and recession. Those going after Black people will hopefully have less and less societal cover to do so.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:37 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,638,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyo321 View Post
As a long-time DC area resident it's so funny to me because most of these same people wouldn't have been caught DEAD in Logan Circle or Shaw a mere 15-20 years ago. These type of 20something and 30something professional folks simply migrated east from suburban-style upper Northwest and denser neighborhoods Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan and Mount Pleasant (which believe it or not were considered "edgy" into the early 2000s) over to Shaw, Logan Circle and Columbia Heights and pretend like they've always owned the place. LOL When that Amy Cooper incident happened over a month ago it reminded me of all the nasty, racially and class-tinged dog park fights I'd come across around these neighborhoods in DC in recent years. Going into a hip new restaurant or bar in these neighborhoods often feels like going into the snobbiest elite high school cafeteria you can imagine. I used to love to go into DC but now that I'm in my 40s I don't feel like putting up with it anymore and I'm comfortably camped out in the Northern Virginia suburbs. I do hope that some of the worst of the gentrifying abuse starts to subside a bit as the housing market inevitably cools off during the pandemic and recession. Those going after Black people will hopefully have less and less societal cover to do so.

Yep. Noticed this too. Remember when some guy was walking his dogs all over Howard University and letting them poop on the yard, and he was like "Well, they should just move the campus".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51qBFbhwcnM

Old 07-23-2020, 12:43 PM

6,709 posts, read 4,140,889 times
Quote:
This is exactly why more Black professionals should consider moving to neighborhoods like Logan Circle and Shaw. I think this would create a shift in the demographics and possibly create more opportunities for integration. It may even help with altering some of the biased and prejudiced attitudes that many of these people harbor toward Black people.

I talked to a black co-worker about this and they're originally from out West but now live in PG. They said that they feel better living in a place where blacks are a majority and couldn't imagine going back to living in a place where there's only a few blacks. It seems like it might be human nature to prefer life in your own crowd. You also see that in so many requests on these forums from Asian immigrants who look for neighborhoods and even buildings that already have a large presence of their own group.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:55 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,361,713 times
Quote:

DC was a very white city (70% white) from the 1800's until the 1950's.

Demographics change. I don't know that this is true, I've read the black population in DC has been steady; there's just more people moving into the city. Is it a bad thing that DC is growing and it just so happens more white people of a newer generation are moving (back) to the city?

https://ggwash.org/view/62108/dcs-bl...he-whole-story

In 1950, DC peaked at around 800,000. In 2010, the population was 600,000. In 2019, it was 705,000.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:02 AM

27,421 posts, read 28,490,451 times
Quote:
I'm very sorry to hear about the racism in your building. Perhaps the thing to keep in mind is that your very presence is breaking new ground. You're right, many of the residents probably ARE racist and DON'T believe you belong in the building and are navigating their fear and racism with their need to socially keep up appearances and not be too overt about it. For many of them, the only time they've ever interacted at length with people of color was in service situations. A lot of them grew up in 80%+ white upper middle class to upper class suburban enclaves, went to private schools on leafy, well-tended campuses before heading to name brand Top 50 nationally ranked universities. They likely had almost every scholastic, familial and financial advantage and while usually they worked very hard, they also had few truly significant obstacles in their path to success. Their world is a bubble of privilege and self-absorption. Ironically enough, it's that privilege that makes them ESPECIALLY paranoid about anyone or anything that seems out of place in their environment. They NEED to see Black professionals, Black doctors, Black lawyers, Black lobbyists, etc. living amongst them. The more they do, the better it is for them and the better it is for society as a whole.
The OP is also a gentrifier like the rest of the residents in his apartment building. A lot of the people giving him looks are probably attorneys at DC law firms like himself.

Maybe they’re just curious to see a professional black person living in their luxury apartment building. But I find it a little strange that some of them wouldn’t know him already.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:26 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,612,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The OP is also a gentrifier like the rest of the residents in his apartment building. A lot of the people giving him looks are probably attorneys at DC law firms like himself.

Maybe they’re just curious to see a professional black person living in their luxury apartment building. But I find it a little strange that some of them wouldn’t know him already.
I could care less if someone is black, white, etc. The OP sounds very paranoid and ultra sensitive. To put flyers in the building and to want to take pictures of so called racists in his building to post on social media is absurd. DC is a melting pot of cultures and races.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:00 AM

147 posts, read 60,180 times
Quote:
A friend of mine suggested that I just post about this on social media and organize a protest outside the building to shame the residents.
I often read threads on Citi data but didn't feel compelled to join, until today.

I'm an American woman of African descent and I too reside in a luxury building (but in the Old Town area of Alexandria, 6 miles outside of D.C.). I love where I live. It is predominately upper income and there are definitely other Black people in the building.

Generally speaking, the residents and concierge staff are friendly. I have lived in the building for nearly 4 years.

I do not want to move, but I plan to buy my own home shortly before my lease ends. Ideally, I'd love to stay in the Old Town area, but most of the townhomes in this location are selling for well over 800K.

My advice to you is, always value your mental health and well being before everything else. At a minimum, you should enjoy where you live, especially when you're paying a lot to reside there.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I lived in DC for 8 years and never saw this. DC has tons of black people. I can't see anyone being targeted with stares and such. People stare at people of their own color too. Sounds like the OP is paranoid and ultra sensitive. Going to management and social media? Really?
DC may have a lot of Black people, but many are not living in luxury buildings.

As an aside, I have noticed that the media tends to paint Black American people with one broad brush (and the focus is often on poverty). The Washington Post and NY Times are notorious for exclusively featuring stories on Black poverty. Rarely do they ever feature any news stories about Black upper income individuals.

Why haven't the NY Times or the Washington Post featured a story about this development that is a joint investment between an African American investment group and a Ghanaian American developer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdQDxvnx-Xs

The media plays a very large role in public perception.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Frankly, it is none of their business how much anyone pays in rent. I’m sure as a black guy living in Ballston, my neighbors have the same question. I probably wouldn’t be living here without roommates but I can assure you plenty of young black folks make $70-110k and pay a grip in rent.

RLCMA you sound like you have an axe to grind against people who qualify for a little help to better their circumstances.
There are a lot of entrepreneurs and even a number of people of all races who are employed by the federal government making a six figure salary.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I wish that white people were honest and open about their racism. If you hate black people, just say it so that you can be exposed. I’m going to start posting the pictures of all of the people in the building who act in a racist manner toward me. Social media always has a way of making people regretful for their actions.
I really want to know why white people's opinion means so much to you? You shouldn't subject yourself to living in a building that you do not feel comfortable in, but at the same time, I think you have to stop giving so much weight to their opinions.

They are not paying your expenses and as such, do not have any authority or control, outside of the attention that you directly give them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: