Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 12:01 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,517 times

Advertisements

Honestly, with the DC mask mandates and the bars and clubs not really being open, what's the point of being in the city? That is the main attraction to be in the city besides work. Take some time away and as long as you have an internet connection, go travel and see the nation before it's too late. (Because I can already see state governments banning state to state travel in the near future, or at minimum, requiring checkpoints at state borders....many states are already adopting the "you must quarantine for 14 days" rule).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 12:13 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,627,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Honestly, with the DC mask mandates and the bars and clubs not really being open, what's the point of being in the city? That is the main attraction to be in the city besides work. Take some time away and as long as you have an internet connection, go travel and see the nation before it's too late. (Because I can already see state governments banning state to state travel in the near future, or at minimum, requiring checkpoints at state borders....many states are already adopting the "you must quarantine for 14 days" rule).
Yeah, I want to return to DC but its pointless to move back at this point. I'm going to see if VT grows on me the next few months. If not, I'll move back to DC.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:48 AM

55 posts, read 63,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I have to disagree with you on bars and clubs being the only reason to be in the city. I like the city lifestyle. Being able to perform all of my errands on foot, bike-friendly streets, green space, etc. Yes, I miss the clubs too, but things will swing back around.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:26 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eauboy View Post
I have to disagree with you on bars and clubs being the only reason to be in the city. I like the city lifestyle. Being able to perform all of my errands on foot, bike-friendly streets, green space, etc. Yes, I miss the clubs too, but things will swing back around.
Yeah but you can do that in many places. I'm in the burbs and everything you just mentioned, I can do right now.

But I see your point.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:49 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
This place is far from miserable, actually quite exciting to me.

However, I have been trying to find a way to temporarily do my work abroad down in the Caribbean, for the next few months. There's no expectation that I'll need to be back in the office until 2021. So now seems like the perfect time to take my talents abroad and tele-work while I can take advantage of it. I could use the break and come back nice and re-charged.

Problem is this would be technically "international" so won't be able to take a gov't laptop unless approved. I'm still pondering on this though.

Old 08-04-2020, 05:15 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,503 times
The OP describes his work (and his wife's) with contempt. I think the dude needs a new career and a new location to try to put an end to his misery. Sounds like he should be selling insurance or something down South.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:58 AM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
The OP describes his work (and his wife's) with contempt. I think the dude needs a new career and a new location to try to put an end to his misery. Sounds like he should be selling insurance or something down South.
People are just impatient. It takes a long time to get established and proficient in one's career (as with anything).

There is no quick fix.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:04 PM

6,723 posts, read 6,722,163 times
Why would someone rush out of town to experience Charleston in August.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:13 PM

12,897 posts, read 18,748,565 times
I emailed this article to my close friend who just moved back to Montana after 40+ years in DC. His response? “Sweet liberty!” https://dcist.com/story/20/08/31/dow...ampaign=buffer

Old 09-04-2020, 02:20 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
I did want to leave DC during Covid, and I did often go out of town, but now I’m fine staying here.

Especially with metro back up, more dining options and life returning back to normal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: