U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:48 AM

2,149 posts, read 3,854,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBiker View Post
CUA is a commuter school? Okay, I am not a graduate but that seems hard to believe. Mostly it has locals attending? According to their "Living at CUA" web page, 65% of students live on-campus. A few years back a number of those 35% who didn't live on campus lived in party houses near campus. Lots of "town-gown" issues, at least near campus. Catholic doesn't have enough dorms for all it's students, so many end up living in the neighborhood.
If you don't live on campus, aren't you by default commuting to the school? I believe attendance has grown the last few years and they are adding more dorms, but when I was there it seemed like more people had off campus housing or lived at home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:51 AM

8,874 posts, read 11,588,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
If you don't live on campus, aren't you by default commuting to the school? I believe attendance has grown the last few years and they are adding more dorms, but when I was there it seemed like more people had off campus housing or lived at home.

In this country "commuter school" usually implies most students are from the area, not that they live off campus.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,247,121 times
Quote:
NO, commuters are those who don't live in the immediate campus area. Who owns the space where students reside is irrelevant to the determination. Often students live in soroity or fraternity houses. Those aren't commuters.

Historically commuter schools have been second and third tier school that draw heavily on the local population who more often than not live at home with their parents.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:08 AM

220 posts, read 510,886 times
Quote:
I'd say that someone has to live a reasonable distance away from the campus to be a commuter. If you live 3 blocks from campus and walk to school everyday, I wouldn't consider you a commuter even if your building technically isn't a dorm. I'd consider someone to be a commuter if they live far enough from campus that they have to drive or take the metro or bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC