Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 09:30 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times

Advertisements

I'll be in DC(from Milwaukee) on June 14 to apply for the firefighter position. I have to hand in my application at the convention center. They start taking the apps at 9am. I'm not sure how fast this will move, but if I get it in by about 9:15, would I be possible to make an 11:00 flight? I've never been to DC so I do not know the airport or the Metro well. My sister has a graduation so I'd like to make it back, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 11:13 AM

181 posts, read 838,139 times
It can be done as long as a slew of variables holds. Yellow line from DCA to Gallery Place takes about 15-20 minutes. Include a few minutes for walking and waiting and door to door probably takes 30-35 minutes. Security at the airport probably takes about 15 minutes, leaving plenty of time to get to the gate.

Of course, as you already said, it completely depends on how quickly you can get your business done. The other key is whether either of the flights is delayed. If your inbound flight is delayed and your outbound flight is not, then forget it. Anything is possible with air travel - if you're planning on buying non-refundable tickets for this little adventure then you're taking a huge roll of the dice.

They are really making you come in all the way from Milwaukee to literally spend 15 minutes handing in some paperwork? Sounds like an incredible waste of time and money to me - you couldn't have worked out some kind of alternative arrangement with them? If you were doing an interview or meeting with some people I could understand, but it sounds like this isn't what you'd be doing...

Old 05-26-2008, 01:32 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times
Thanks Orion. Yea, sadly a lot of fire departments are starting to do this to get more locals. DC was only going to take the first 3000 so I was actually going to wait in line the night before, but they dropped the 3000 cap now.

This actually won't cost me anything for the flight. I recently picked up a part-time job as a Ramp Agent(loading bags, marshalling planes, etc) for the traveling benefits alone. I will be flying standby, but I have a way to check how many seats are left, and how many others are on with standby. The big problem is that I don't know how long it will take to hand in the app. If they grab it and let me go, then I might be fine.

Thanks again though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC