Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 11:39 AM

7 posts, read 9,101 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for your help. I am an active woman looking to move from a Kansas City suburb where I’ve lived my whole life. I want to live in a big city near New York City and have been to DC several times. I really like it there. Here’s what I’m looking for in an apartment:
-no more than $2,800 (for everything)/month
-1 bedroom (A small den in addition to the bedroom would be amazing)
-near Union Station (within a 15- minute walk)
-parking (preferably covered)
-in-unit washer and dryer
-safe neighborhood, as in I would feel comfortable walking around after dark
-neighbors who are closer to my age (40s, 50s)
-near restaurants and bars
-an outdoor space (balcony)
-large complex with nice common areas like a rooftop area or games like ping pong
-It also would be great if the apartment complex held semi regular resident events, so I could get to know people that way.
-I also want to walk outside and immediately feel like I am in the city.

I work from home, so it would be nice if I didn’t hear sirens all day long. Lol. I also have been finding a lot of apartments are pet-friendly, which creates some unpleasant aesthetics sometimes. Not sure I’m going to be able to avoid that though. And I love dogs, just not dog owners who don’t pick up after them.

I am looking to create a new life there. I would love to meet new girlfriends as well as find educated men in their late 40s or early 50s for dating.

I can’t wait to hear your suggestions; thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 01:06 PM

211 posts, read 237,855 times
I think you would find Cleveland Park more to your liking. Access to the Red Line that takes you straight to Union Station. If you want a more urban feel maybe DuPont Circle.

Old 09-17-2022, 02:08 PM

7 posts, read 9,101 times
Thanks, but being able to walk to Union Station is one of my top criteria. Any suggestions that fit?

Old 09-17-2022, 07:24 PM

211 posts, read 237,855 times
I honestly find the area surrounding Union Station rather boring. Not a lot of restaurants, bars, or much to see and do. Lots of offices. The closest area of interest is H st corridor, where they got restaurants that line the street. As for safety, I’m not too familiar with that side of town.

Last edited by DCarea; 09-17-2022 at 08:49 PM..

Old 09-17-2022, 08:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,231,553 times
I think the Capitol Hill area would be fine, and you should be able to find a 1BR in your price range. The hill is populated by plenty of people in their 40s, 50s, and 60s (and younger people too, but most of the housing is too expensive for younger folk).

I think the one thing you might not be able to find on the hill is an apartment building that has social events in this area. That kind of thing is more common to larger buildings, and CH is mostly built with smaller apartment buildings. You'd find larger buildings along H Street/Atlas Corridor, and they quite likely will have some social events. But most buildings that have organized social events are marketed toward younger people--I think it's just assumed that older people have a social life already established.

If you don't want to hear sirens alot though...you don't want to be anywhere near Union Station. Lots of homeless in the area that have health issues there. And then there's all the bomb threats. So the sirens are pretty constant.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:51 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Capital Hill for sure. But I second the above comment re: apartment buildings.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:14 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,626,664 times
The kind of place you're looking for can possibly be had in your price point. I lived in Mount Vernon a couple of years ago and paid $2,950 for a new construction apartment.

Old 09-20-2022, 10:47 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPR View Post
Thanks, but being able to walk to Union Station is one of my top criteria. Any suggestions that fit?

Maybe understanding why this is such a huge priority might help? If you work from home, why must you be able to walk to Union Station in 15 minutes?

Old 09-20-2022, 01:26 PM

506 posts, read 476,566 times
I’m going to be brutally honest with you: you will not get what you want near Union Station. Rents have been skyrocketing. In your price range, you might find something at the top of your budget in Mount Vernon Triangle or NoMa. A studio apartment will be more likely. A balcony will likely be out of the question (but a rooftop could be possible).

Everywhere within a 15 minute walk of Union Station has seen an uptick in minor crimes and a massive spike in homeless. Coming from a suburban lifestyle, this might be quite a culture shock to you. The area is also very loud, with sirens at all hours. The main thoroughfares (Mass Ave, H Street, and North Capitol) are loud 24 hours. The quietest areas are southeast of Union Station on Capitol Hill. But those areas are the most expensive with the least available (not as many large apartments).

Covered parking anywhere in that area is available but will cost probably at least $250/mo.

I lived in that area a few years ago, when the crime wasn’t as bad. Cars parked in garages were broken into on a regular basis. Shopping options aren’t as great as they appear (half the inventory at Walmart and CVS seemed to be locked up behind glass). Smells and droppings from dogs in the area wasn’t as bad as those from the humans. There’s also constant construction everywhere.

If you must live within 15 minutes of Union Station, keep you expectations low and your budget high. You don’t have to fear for your life, but you’ll worry about your property, quiet, and money. I think your budget and wants would go further in other parts of DC.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:10 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,231,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Maybe understanding why this is such a huge priority might help? If you work from home, why must you be able to walk to Union Station in 15 minutes?
I don't get why this matters? Working from home doesn't mean working AT home all the time (see: Real estate agents, salespeople, accountants, tour guides, writers). Maybe they have a visitor who routinely arrives by train, or maybe they are a drug mule who ships merchandise via Amtrak, or maybe they are just really fascinated by passenger trains. They weren't asking for advice on whether we all approve or agree with their search criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: