Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2024, 08:56 PM

7 posts, read 9,083 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to DC this summer from a very suburban neighborhood in the Kansas City area, where I've lived all my life. I have been to DC several times and love it so thought of it when I decided to move to a new city. I work from home and basically know no one in DC. I don't think I'm going to bring a car. As far as living accommodations go, I don't want a walk-up or a "garden-level" unit. I would prefer an apartment building or condo with an urban feel, and I would like a one-bedroom (or a large studio with separated living/sleeping areas - like an L-shaped space - and room for a desk) that offers the following:
-Short walking distance to grocery store, shops, restaurants and services (nails, dry cleaning, UPS, etc.)
-In-unit washer and dryer
-Ideally, apartment community events so I can get to know neighbors
-At least some residents who are middle-aged
-Safe neighborhood (so I could walk at night alone if I wanted/needed to)
-Well-maintained property
-A small balcony would be nice
-Rent under $2,800

Any ideas or apartment complexes come to mind? I would welcome any other suggestions area natives have for someone in my situation (for example, ways to make new friends - I have ideas but would love to hear from someone who has successfully reestablished their life in DC like I'm planning to do). I also would love to hear from people like me (50-something professional single women) who live in an apartment in DC. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 06:36 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
Welcome to DC. I actually know two people from KS who lived in DC and loved it. I lived in DC for 8 years and just returned after having been gone for 4 years. I visited often throughout those 4 years so it's like I never left. One thing you're looking for that stands out is that you're interested in community events. I've lived at many places in DC and most places that host these events are the large apartment buildings in the city. I doubt a smaller building, not managed by a large property management company, would offer these kind of events.

You're looking for a good amount of amenities and your price point isn't bad. I live in a 1 bedroom and pay about 3k downtown, which is pretty much the market rate it seems like. I feel NoMa, Navy Yard, and the Wharf could be options for you. If you prefer downtown, I would say check out Penn Quarter, Mount Vernon, and Shaw. You really have to start with a neighborhood you like. I lived in Navy Yard when there was nothing there and left when it got too crazy. I prefer downtown, which is pretty much where I am now.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:43 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
OP, check out areas of Dupont/Kalorama for upscale highrise living in neighborhoods you'll feel comfortable in at a night and offer the demographic you describe in significant numbers. I'm 64 and have female friends in their mid 50s who have lived in that area for a while and love it. Every amenity you can think of is nearby, eliminating the need/desire for a car. Check out The Hepburn and Ora apartments.

https://www.apartments.com/the-hepbu...dc-dc/63fxf2r/
https://www.apartments.com/ora-washington-dc/w33wxwj/

Old 01-30-2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Welcome to DC. I actually know two people from KS who lived in DC and loved it. I lived in DC for 8 years and just returned after having been gone for 4 years. I visited often throughout those 4 years so it's like I never left. One thing you're looking for that stands out is that you're interested in community events. I've lived at many places in DC and most places that host these events are the large apartment buildings in the city. I doubt a smaller building, not managed by a large property management company, would offer these kind of events.

You're looking for a good amount of amenities and your price point isn't bad. I live in a 1 bedroom and pay about 3k downtown, which is pretty much the market rate it seems like. I feel NoMa, Navy Yard, and the Wharf could be options for you. If you prefer downtown, I would say check out Penn Quarter, Mount Vernon, and Shaw. You really have to start with a neighborhood you like. I lived in Navy Yard when there was nothing there and left when it got too crazy. I prefer downtown, which is pretty much where I am now.
Thanks, RLCMA! Appreciate your thoughts. I've looked at DC crime maps, and it seems like NoMa is a questionable area - especially at night. Thoughts? And, can you think of any specific apartment buildings I should check out?

Old 01-30-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OP, check out areas of Dupont/Kalorama for upscale highrise living in neighborhoods you'll feel comfortable in at a night and offer the demographic you describe in significant numbers. I'm 64 and have female friends in their mid 50s who have lived in that area for a while and love it. Every amenity you can think of is nearby, eliminating the need/desire for a car. Check out The Hepburn and Ora apartments.

https://www.apartments.com/the-hepbu...dc-dc/63fxf2r/
https://www.apartments.com/ora-washington-dc/w33wxwj/
Thank you so much!!

Old 01-30-2024, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPR View Post
Thanks, RLCMA! Appreciate your thoughts. I've looked at DC crime maps, and it seems like NoMa is a questionable area - especially at night. Thoughts? And, can you think of any specific apartment buildings I should check out?
NoMa just doesn't it for me other than Union Market. There is going to be crime anywhere really. My office is in Dupont Circle and I have to deal with all the rowdy teenagers near the Metro here. I'm not saying they commit crimes per se other than jumping the Metro turnstiles, but you're going to run into bad element no matter where you are for the most part. I keep hearing Chinatown has a lot of crime. I live next door to Chinatown and don't see a lot going on other than homeless people yelling and screaming from time to time but I'm also not out late at night in areas that aren't well lit and around a lot of people. You just have to pay attention to your surroundings. First and foremost, do your research on areas. I personally like living in Penn Quarter since it is close enough to my office and I just like the vibe. I wouldn't be happy in NoMa, Wharf, or back in the Navy Yard. I love Capitol Hill but the housing doesn't do it for me.

Old 01-30-2024, 11:36 AM

I also agree with other poster that Kalorama is nice. While it doesn't offer a ton in itself, you can walk to Dupont, Adams Morgan, Woodley Park, etc. The area is very affluent with an older demographic than you'll find in the up and coming neighborhoods.

Old 01-30-2024, 05:52 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,278,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I also agree with other poster that Kalorama is nice. While it doesn't offer a ton in itself, you can walk to Dupont, Adams Morgan, Woodley Park, etc. The area is very affluent with an older demographic than you'll find in the up and coming neighborhoods.
Yeah, I would recommend the Red Line from Dupont north. Woodley Park or Cleveland Park could work. Crime is relatively modest by DC standards. There are lots of apartments in NoMa, Navy Yard, Mt Vernon, SW. But crime in the District is relatively high even by big city standards, so you may want check out those areas to see if you are comfortable there.

Outside the District, Bethesda would also fit the bill. It's just outside the city. But very safe and frankly has more around the metro than most DC areas. Arlington also has areas that could also work. It has a reputation for skewing a little younger, but there are a mix of ages. Old Town Alexandria is a little more removed, but it's arguably the most charming neighborhood in the area. It's mostly townhouses and low rise apartments. But there are some high rise apartments near the metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: