Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2006, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,780 times

Advertisements

Dear all, I have really enjoyed some of the discussions on this forum, and would like to ask someone to describe/compare the Ballston/Clarendon area with Takoma Park (MD side). They seem to be described in similar ways, however, the price of appartments found online is rediculously cheap in the latter. Our primary needs:
My girlfriend will be commuting into Dupont Circle so we want to be reasonably close to the city,
I will be working from home, and need to have areas where I can walk, with coffee shops, small stores, people around me,
Price is always a factor.

Also, I have been told that I shouldn't expect to be able to find a 2-3 bedroom place in Georgetown, Dupont Circle, and Tentley Town for under $1800/month. Is this true, or are these areas still worth a shot?
thanks for all advice.
Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 10:17 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,396,459 times
Ballston/Clarendon is more yuppiefied and Takoma Park is more hippiefied. That's sort of the basic difference. Those parts of Arlington attract a lot of young single people and there's a lot of bars and restaurants that cater to them. There's lots of high-rise condos, apartments and office towers there and Metro access is at a premium and DC is just a short hop away. Takoma Park is more residential and family-oriented. It's also a bit grittier with higher crime than Arlington, which isn't to say that Takoma Park is dangerous (it's crime rate is roughly the national average; check out this thread for a more detailed explanation: //www.city-data.com/forum/washi...hlight=takoma), just that Arlington is incredibly safe.

In terms of being able to walk to small stores, coffeeshops and the like, well that sort of pedestrian-heavy walkable downtown environment is unfortunately in short supply in the DC area outside of DC itself. There's somewhat high-density retail strips in Ballston/Clarendon and Takoma Park but they're not really all that large and bustling, but it's better than 90% of the sprawly metro area.

As far neighborhoods in DC for your price range, I would say while you're unlikely to find something in that price range, it's worth a shot to check it out. Take a look at craig's list and browse through the listings. I can say with near 100% certainty you won't find a 2-3 bedroom in Georgetown in that price range. Dupont Circle is highly unlikely as well, and Tenleytown a bit less so, but it can't hurt to check. In general, three bedroom apartments are in short supply all over the city so most will be two bedrooms. You can find two bedroom apartments in DC for $1800/month, but they just may not be in those particular neighborhoods. If you find one in Dupont Circle though, that's terrific. It's a great hood.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 27,242 times
The post above is fabulous -- right on the money! The reason rents are so cheap in Takoma Park is that there's rent control and some not-so-great high density rental areas. It's a really charming community, but hit and miss on rentals. In general, you should consider looking for basement apartments in private homes -- for the size and price you want, that's going to be a safe bet. I had some friends who lived off of Wilson Blvd in Clarendon and loved their neighborhood -- so much going on, really pleasant. A better bet for a young couple with no kids... Consider the Van Ness, Cleveland Park and Friendship Heights neighborhoods in DC, too -- very close to Dupont and on the Metro line, nice little pockets of things to do and a young population...
It will be really hard to find what you're looking for in Dupont or Gtown in that price range.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:14 AM

238 posts, read 228,056 times
Arlington is MUCH safer (well North Arlington) than TP. I was driving through the main drag there once and it was like being in a Third World country. Illegal immigrants swarming and sitting on curbs, drinking out of brown paper bags. Really quite horrifying.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:45 PM

82 posts, read 433,852 times
I drive across to North Arlington almost every weekend, and at least in some sections, there are wide swaths of (presumably) illegal immigrants. In fact, NoVA has one of the largest immigrant (legal and otherwise) populations in the country. That said, they don't make me feel particularly unsafe, nor do either TP nor North Arlington remind me of a third world country.

I think that dullnboring hit it right on the nose and I'd also check out some of the neighborhoods Norahs suggested.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:51 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishfulBohemian View Post
Also, I have been told that I shouldn't expect to be able to find a 2-3 bedroom place in Georgetown, Dupont Circle, and Tentley Town for under $1800/month. Is this true, or are these areas still worth a shot?
I think you'd have to catch a break to land a 2-bedroom for $1800 in Georgetown or Dupont Circle. Tenley Town , Woodley Park, Glover Park maybe, but $2000 and up would be more like it. Still, look around...there are always bargains to be had out there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC