Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 22,578 times

Advertisements

How bad will the traffic be on the Cap Beltway in the morning going east towards Andrews from Alexandria? I am looking for a 1bdrm apt less than 1500/mo in the Alexandra area unless there is somewhere better. I looked at Upper Marlboro but it is too rural for me. I need restaurants since I don't cook and it would be nice to be near the river for exercise, biking...etc.

Thanks in advance!
From ATL to Andrews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 11:01 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Depends on what exit you get on the beltway in Alexandria. Since they are reconfiguring the beltway around exit 176 (telegraph rd) there will be more traffic jams on what used to be a very easy ride for that exit and any one before it from Springfield. My advice is to try to get on the beltway at exit #177 (Rt 1) that way you can avoid most of that new traffic. Even if you cant avoid the exit #176 traffic the commute is sensible should be no more than 30 min from Alexandria.

If Upper Marlboro is too rural for you, Fort Washington, Clinton, Waldorf, Bowie are also worth a look.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:12 AM

17 posts, read 46,690 times
I currently live in Kingstowne Alexandria and I work in Maryland North of Andrews. My work exit is about 5 exits North of Andrews. The commute is not bad at all. It is all against traffic both ways. It takes me no more than 40 minutes in the morning but most mornings it takes 30 minutes. In the afternoons it takes no more than 30-35 minutes for me to get back to Kingstowne. There have been a few days in the past year when the weather was bad or there was an accident and the commute took over 2 hours. But I can count those times on one hand. Overall, the commute is not bad at all. If you are looking for a place less than $1500 I suggest you try Kingstowne or some other apts in Alexandria on Eisenhower Rd. If you want to be near more shops and things to do you should definitely pick Alexandria as opposed to parts of Southern MD. In my opinion you would be disappointed with Southern MD near Andrews to live. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:45 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
For the amenities that you are looking for, I would do Alexandria. I never hate on PG but the county is lacking in many ways. The drive to Andrews is only seven miles from Old Town but that could mean a 45 minute drive on the beltway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC