U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,469 times

Advertisements

My husband (Fed. employee) has been offered a position in DC-we would be leaving Orange County, CA (Aliso Viejo/Laguna Niguel area) to head over there (they will provide moving expenses) but we will have to sell our condo and find a place out there...moving with two children, myself (stay at home mom) and a dog. Children are middle school age/elementary school age...very concerned about school since our school system here is fantastic...any advise? Many thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 01:48 PM

273 posts, read 1,398,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindyfs View Post
My husband (Fed. employee) has been offered a position in DC-we would be leaving Orange County, CA (Aliso Viejo/Laguna Niguel area) to head over there (they will provide moving expenses) but we will have to sell our condo and find a place out there...moving with two children, myself (stay at home mom) and a dog. Children are middle school age/elementary school age...very concerned about school since our school system here is fantastic...any advise? Many thanks.
If you want to do public schools, I would suggest looking into Northern VA counties. Most have good schools and your husband could commute into DC to work.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:04 PM

470 posts, read 1,960,441 times
Need some more input to give good advice:

A. What's your budget?

B. Where's your husband's work location (assuming downtown but could be anywhere)?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,956 times
Depending on your budget there is a wide variety of options. For public schools as good as they get I would suggest Bethesda/Chevy Chase Maryland. For good elementary schools The Mann School in DC (zip 20016) is very nice.

Much depends on your budget.

Best,
Miles
[url]www.urbanalarm.com[/url] -- Urban Alarm - Security Alarm Systems, CCTV, and Door Access Control Systems in Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia

Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 AM

446 posts, read 1,531,702 times
Arlington schools are great, especially in North Arlington. Can't go wrong in the 22205, 22207, 22213 zips. Close to DC too!

Just to make sure you're prepared, is it possible to visit here in winter first? It's going to be a bit of a shock coming from beautiful, sunny SoCal. That's my only major complaint besides the traffic here is our winters. I don't like the grey stuff. Best of luck with your move and Rio Grande Cafe (Bethesda, Arlington, Reston, Fairfax) is as close as we can get to the Mexican food of SoCal!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 PM

402 posts, read 788,684 times
Default Fairfax or Arlington County

I would eliminate school systems as a worry. Fairfax and Arlington county schools are some of the top ranked in the nation. I could be wrong, but I doubt OC is better. Also, your worry about Mexican food isn't a big deal. There are many great Mexican restaurants (El Paso-Springfield, Chipotle-everywhere, among others). It doesn't get that cold or hot here. The weather is nice. I would definately recomend living near Metro or the VRE. Metro in NoVa goes all the way out to Fairfax/Vienna on the orange, and Springfield/Franconia on the Blue. VRE on the Manassas goes to Manassas/Broad Run, and the Fredricksburg goes to F'burg. Avoids traffic, no paying to park or gas, reduces gas use. For a little more reasonably priced homes, look in PW county, Fauquier County, Loundon County, or Spotsylvania county. Further out, but more reasonably priced. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:04 AM

4 posts, read 20,555 times
Montgomery County, Md. just had 6 high schools ranked in Newsweek's Top 100 high schools, if you care about that sort of ranking. Great education in Montgomery County - Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Kensington, N. Bethesda, Potomac etc. Good bus system and metro access.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:57 AM

1,054 posts, read 4,759,423 times
All speculation is bunk until you:

a) work out what your housing budget is, and
b) determine exactly where it is you will be working.

Because the adage 'follow the money' relates strongly to schools, you can expect some of the best schools in DC to be in areas of higher property values. Add to that the fact that the DC area is one of the highest in the country, and you'll be living on only one income, and you may have a drastically reduced pool of locations to look at.

The second point is also very important. To many, DC can encompass just about anything from within 30 miles of the White House. Even in the District itself you can spend 20 minutes just getting from the White House to the edge of the city (or more) in some directions. If you are working in upper NW at DHS, then you might want to consider Montgomery County. If you are going to work at DHS's new home at St. Elizabeths, then you'll be on the other side of town and a commute to their might be a bit of a slog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: