U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 01:39 PM

49 posts, read 147,176 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I used to live in the DC metro area for 6 years and loved it! I worked as a teacher, and my husband worked in the IT field. However, to make a long story short, I took a job in a DC charter school, (for a change from Howard County Public Schools), and things were fine until we suddenly had to change locations. (We had to move to an old abandoned school building b/c the current school was being torn down by the government to build housing). The conditions in this "new" school were deplorable, and I became pregnant. I had to stop working due to improper plumbing, rodent/roach infestation, etc, and this forced us to live off of one income. Our finances became unbearable, and even after I had my daughter, and worked as a teacher the following school year, we could never catch up! So... we jumped on the "let's move south" bandwagon, and moved to Charlotte. I am still working as a teacher, but my husband is now working as an IT manager, (the position he's wanted since entering the field). However, we have been living here for 2 years, and I am becoming more and more bored with this city, and want to move back to this area. My husband doesn't really care for the area either, but he does like his position, so he's not quite as anxious to move back as I am. (He also doesn't want to deal with the traffic again.)
I would just like to hear people's opinions of whether we should stay in Charlotte where things are okay - we've built a house here, we both have good jobs, but are extremely bored, or should we move back to the DC area where we would have to start over again, but probably wouldn't have a real problem finding jobs? (We also have lots of college friends in this area as well-this provides a better support system for our daughter) My overall question is: Do you move to another location b/c you're not happy there, or do you just suck it up and try to make the best of it?
Any opinions/comments would be appreciated! I'm really struggling with this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 04:17 PM

25,223 posts, read 36,226,344 times
Stay in Charlotte. Charlotte is a very nice place. Outside of apparent boredom you sound like you got a good thing going there, career and financially speaking. Just what is boring about Charlotte?

If you still arent happy with Charlotte there are other places beside DC to go.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:25 PM

654 posts, read 1,732,203 times
I agree..go see the USA at least.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:06 PM

I guess my issue is that I just miss the DC area. We moved here b/c we could no longer afford living there, and we're also a little closer to our immediate family. They promised they would help with our daugher so that my husband and I could have "date nights", and that hasn't happened.
We loved mostly everything about the DC area, excluding traffic/congestion. We greatly miss the vast opportunities for entertainment, friends, location, metro, culture/diversity. Charlotte does not offer many of the things that we miss so much about DC! I just don't want to move back and things aren't what I'm hoping for them to be but, I also don't want to stay in Charlotte and not be completely happy either.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:18 PM

654 posts, read 1,732,203 times
grass is always greener

Old 08-03-2008, 05:30 PM

645 posts, read 1,847,205 times
The cost of living in DC has increased in the last 6 years. Y'all probably still won't be 100% happy in DC, I would remain in Charlotte.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:02 PM

Default Thanks for your opinions!!!

Thanks for all of your opinions! They are greatly appreciated!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:15 PM

3,319 posts, read 4,125,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Just what is boring about Charlotte?
The lack of a real downtown, the endless strip malls, few pedestrian neighborhoods, everyone eats at chains...

Old 08-04-2008, 01:20 AM

446 posts, read 1,531,847 times
I would stay in Charlotte for sure! The DC area is very expensive (as you know) and DC is close enough that you can take frequent road trips up here. You moved to Charlotte to escape the high prices and traffic up here and those factors do not seem to have changed.

One other thing to consider...and I'm not even sure if this would affect you at all....but it sounds like if money were a bit tighter you'd be looking at living in one of the outer suburbs. If you live in Centreville or Howard County, do you really feel that connected to the DC stuff anyways? I guess what I'm saying is that we all get so busy with our lives that when you are 30 miles out, sometimes it might as well be another state. Again just something to consider.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:15 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,540,740 times
Oh my, people certainly like to complain about DC. I would leave Charlotte in a heartbeat back to DC. I had to leave DC for about the same amount of time you did and move somewhere similar. I couldn't stand it. Sometimes having the perfect American Dream ends up being quite empty.

So long as you can get work and decent housing, I say follow your bliss. I don't agree that you're going to be living in the hinterlands. So many people live in the city or at least inside the beltway with families. DC is one of the most cosmopolitan, vibrant cities in the country without the major headaches of New York etc... - especially if you can live on the Metro and avoid the traffic.

Based on your tone, I think you know the answer to your question. You probably won't have the white picket fence suburban American Dream, but I think you'll be far happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC