Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 04:27 PM

11 posts, read 37,266 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the DC/MD area in the spring of 2009. I'm trying to find out if DC/MD schools offer early entrance tests for 4 year olds who turn 5 shortly after the school year starts.

My daughters birthday is October 12th. Here in Cleveland the school cut-off date is September 30th. A child can take the test if his or here birthday is after the deadline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 05:26 AM

157 posts, read 780,393 times
The cut off date is pretty late here for the public schools (Nov or Dec, I think). For the private schools it is earlier. I would check with the school you are interested in...

Old 08-06-2008, 06:44 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie83 View Post
I will be moving to the DC/MD area in the spring of 2009. I'm trying to find out if DC/MD schools offer early entrance tests for 4 year olds who turn 5 shortly after the school year starts.

My daughters birthday is October 12th. Here in Cleveland the school cut-off date is September 30th. A child can take the test if his or here birthday is after the deadline.
I believe the MD cut off date to enter K is 5 by Dec. 31st so your daughter will meet the requirement. I do know VA's is Sept. 30th and they are pretty strict about it. Even in private schools, they seem reluctant to make exceptions. I don't know what the cut off for DC is.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:11 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
Montgomery County has a Sept 1 cut-off date for kindergarten. Here is information on early admission. Montgomery County Public Schools - Enrollment Information - Policies Related to Enrollment

Old 08-06-2008, 01:01 PM

273 posts, read 1,483,033 times
Most counties in MD that surround DC - the cut off is Sept. 1st. If their birthday is just a few days after this date, they sometimes allow you to enroll with a test and provided there is space in the school but with an October birthday you will have to wait another year. You could try getting into Pre-K.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 9,688 times
Default Cutoff is Sep 1

Cutoff date is September 1. My daughter is Sep 18 born and she took the Early entrance test in 2007.
They really tested her in many ways. She was 4.5 and was able to read fluently at the time of test. The testing guidelines are quite strict I think. Honestly I discovered many things after she completed her KG.

Last edited by sulekha_av; 01-06-2009 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 01-07-2009, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 9,639 times
My son is born on Sept.15 and will be eligible for the early entrance in 2009. I wanted to know, what do ask at the test. Any feedback would be helpful

Old 01-07-2009, 11:22 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
It's interesting b/c I am hearing from more and more people that are looking to hold their kids back a year, either at kindergarten or first grade (after two years of K) so that they have "advantages" over their classmates. The theory is that a first grader who is six years and eleven months old will have a lot of cognitive advantages over a first grader who is six years and one month old. I believe the hope is to make the kid a top performer at a young age and then let it pay dividends as they climb up through the grades.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:08 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
It's interesting b/c I am hearing from more and more people that are looking to hold their kids back a year, either at kindergarten or first grade (after two years of K) so that they have "advantages" over their classmates. The theory is that a first grader who is six years and eleven months old will have a lot of cognitive advantages over a first grader who is six years and one month old. I believe the hope is to make the kid a top performer at a young age and then let it pay dividends as they climb up through the grades.
I have come across this, but I don't think all the parents have the top performer thing in mind. I know parents who held their kids back because they were boys with August birthdays and the parents felt they weren't ready for school--just too immature. One mother said she just wasn't ready to give up her baby. My son's birthday is August 13, so he entered Kindergarten this year. One of his classmates turned 6 the week before mine turned 5.

I personally would never enroll my child earlier. I was a September bday and my school's cutoff was October 1. I was always the youngest, always last to get to do anything because of my age. It carried through to college...very annoying.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 5,342 times
Is there any school that a cutoff date is oct 30 in FCPS or Alexandria? becouse my son born on oct 11 now he is 5.5 he can't go to KG because of the cutoff date in FCPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC