Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:26 AM

19 posts, read 109,497 times

Advertisements

I am a single 30 year old guy that just move to Arlington from Florida. Any suggestions on places to go or things to do to meet people?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 04:44 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,125 times
Which section of Arlington?

In general, Arlington is considered a great place for single people in your age range. It should be easy to meet people at Happy Hour or at bars/lounges during other times. I was in Clarendon recently and thought the women were clearly better looking on average in that area than in DC itself. They also seemed a bit less stuffy and easier to approach.

That said, I did get a bit of the meat market/ex frat boy vibe which turned me off quite a bit. Don't underestimate the power of Male friends who are popular with the ladies as it relates to meeting women. Don't only try to form relationships with Women.

In general, I highly recommend being outgoing and trying to meet as many people as you can within reason. A lot of people in this area are open to making new friends, so it's not that hard. Dating is harder, but is easier when you have a network of friends than when you don't.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:54 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,354 times
Arlington is very cool. Check out single volunteers of dc and do some searches online.I can remember, but I know there are some neat clubs. Another one is the Ski club. It is not really just for sking. Then there is the Sociables club.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:29 PM

Thanks for all the help!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:08 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times
Here is a list of some of my favorite Arlington bars. These are listed in no particular order by the way...

Mr. Days (great Wed. happy hour), Whitlows on Wilson, Irelands Four Corners, Ragtimes, Clarendon Ballroom, Liberty Tavern, Ri Ra, Rock Bottom Brewery, and Carpool. There are many others, but these are the ones that happened to immediately come right to mind.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:35 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
UF2613,

you should try www.meetin.org. This would be perfect for you!

Old 09-29-2008, 08:53 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,125 times
I've gone to one event each through MeetUp and MeetIn. I would advise against joining the larger social groups that do not have interests in specific activities (running, museums, etc.) Those were the events I went to and it was basically a meat market. You'll get a lot of not-so-socially-slick Men trying to talk to the Women there. I doubt they get very far.

MeetUp separates groups based on interests, so it may be a bit easier to find your niche. In all honesty, I think forced meetings like that can make it hard to form connections. You can meet people, exchange names, etc but it usually stops there. In general, my advice is get out there and try to meet people through your more routine, day-to-day interactions. This will form a foundation for you and then you can expand through their friends, etc.

One caveat is that, as a single Male, you don't want too high a % of your friends to be other single Men. That can actually hurt your game to the point you have a better chance of meeting Women by going out by yourself (especially if your friends don't have much 'game.')

Old 09-29-2008, 09:25 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times
Sorry to randomly spew this out, but in relation to my first post, the bar is actually called Irelands Four Courts..not really sure what I was thinking.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:01 AM

658 posts, read 1,893,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
(especially if your friends don't have much 'game.')
That cracked me up...what if you are a good soccer player..does that count as having 'game'?

listen to metal

Old 10-15-2008, 06:35 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions I really appreciate it! What is the overall perception, if you saw a guy at a bar by himself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC