Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 04:47 AM

5 posts, read 14,807 times

Advertisements

Having just moved to DC a little under two months ago, I'm finding it really hard to meet people with similar interests as me. I particularly really want to get into some sort of sports league whether it be basketball, volleyball or soccer. I tried looking them up online but all of them seem to not be in the DC area but rather in maryland or virginia. I've heard good things about kickball on the mall as well, but prefer something a little more active. I really want to put myself out there and start making some friends and meeting people who I have similar interests with (a sort of young professionals club), but am not quite sure where to start. I've read posts on here about the Young Benefactor's of the Smithsonian, but it seems kind of intimidating just to join not knowing anyone. I'm a pretty shy person until I get comfortable around new people, but at this point I really want to put myself out there and meet some people regardless of how uncomfortable it makes me feel. Also, I'm early to mid 20s and single and it's really hard to meet decent guys if all you're doing is going to bars. And now that it's beginning to get colder, I don't want to just be going from work to my apartment with nothing else to do because that doesn't help me meet anyone. Any DC vets or newbies have any suggestions of good things to get involved with especially in the next month or so? Thanks for all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 11:06 AM

13 posts, read 96,403 times
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you except I live out in NoVA.

A coworker who moved down here before me suggested meetup.com as she's had some good luck with it. There are plenty of singles meetups where all you do is go out to dinner or a bar or whatnot. In addition, there are a fair amount of sporting groups: softball, kickball, frisbee, mountain biking, hiking, and even floor hockey. I'm sure if the issue is coming down to transportation, someone within the group might offer a ride.

Me personally, I haven't had much luck. I joined a bowling meetup mainly to figure out where all the alleys are in my area and with hopes that there would be similar people like me there, which there really wasn't.

Or there's always craigslist, but that's wearing very thin with me.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:07 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,802 times
I didn't think meetup or meetin was that great. I only went to one large social event from each group and it was kind of meat-markety if you will. My sense was that it wasn't really the type of place to form connections. I'd agree that the smaller groups based on specific interests (museums, travel, politics, culture, etc) might be a better way than the large groups, but they do meet less often.

If you're less than enthusiastic about the men you meet in bars, you maybe even less enthusiastic about the men you meet at the large meetup events (this is coming from a guy). I've only been once, but certainly wasn't impressed with it enough to consider it as a way of meeting women to date. I'd recommend it even less for a means of women to meet men than the opposite.

Supposedly kickball (DC kickball, perhaps) is popular. There are certainly tons of single people here. It sounds great based on numbers, but making connections can be tough. It's tough to do in public places, b/c many of the more popular spots are overcrowded meat markets. Some of the wine bars etc are much nicer but it's hit or miss and there aren't really that many people to meet at those places. If you give people a chance when you're out and don't write people off when they approach you, you'll probably be fine. It's unlikely that meetup or meetin will be the answer.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:17 AM

658 posts, read 1,894,764 times
I have used meetup for soccer. I also got on an indoor team thru craigslist. I have met people via myspace as well..any of the social networks. Just find a bar that suits your taste and hang out there. I didn't have a good experience with kickball, but that might just be a fluke. I have heard good things about it. Also, your alumni association might have some events. I have been to a few of mine, and even the state where I moved here from has its own society with events.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,720,449 times
I'm in completely the same situation as you, except a year along. I have a friend who goes to events for some Young Professionals group (YAP, I think, but I'm not sure) and really likes it. I haven't gone to any yet so I can't speak from personal experience. I've done kickball and really enjoyed it. If what you want is something more athletic, admittedly kickball won't be it, but it's still a good way to just meet people. If you're interested in the spring session, our team really needs girls who will actually show up (we generally have to push to get the minimum of 4 each week, so it'd be nice to have an extra).

Most people I know have been through work or friends from school (and their coworkers, etc).

Old 12-03-2008, 02:59 PM

209 posts, read 985,070 times
Kickball isn't much of a sport but it's very popular. Give it a shot.

If you're looking for dates try Match.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC