U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 06:08 PM

16 posts, read 77,428 times

Advertisements

Hi I am relocating from NYC to DC for work in January. I am looking for suggestions about neighborhoods that are reasonable priced, where I can find street parking and are safe, any suggesions?

I wanted to spend 1300 or under on a studio or jr. 1 bedroom. The only listings I have been finding are on the Border of Adams Morgan and Columbia Heights are these good neighborhoods?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 10:23 PM

11 posts, read 39,076 times
Hi,

I am 28, female professional. I live in Adams Morgan on 16th ST, and I love it. It is great here, very safe in my street. It is also very conveniently located next to Dupont Circle. Columbia Heights is still not gentrifed enough, so it can get sketchy. It is also cheaper, but I don't recommend it for a single female. Unless you are buying, that area will be a good place to invest, but now is still not the best. Your budget is about right.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:35 PM

19 posts, read 57,934 times
jeanettethierry,

Which websites are you using to find your apts? I'm moving in Jan as well, but all the websites I keep hitting show really expensive choices (~$2k for studio). Granted right under them are the red line metro stops, but I'm willing to walk a few blocks for a less expensive place.

Also -- from my research, Friendship, Cleveland Park, VanNess areas seem really nice for young professionals (or so I've been told). And it seems Cleveland Park/Friendship is the least expensive of them all. Hopefully when I visit the city this coming week I'll find out a lot more. It seems that anything west of the Capitol is safe (depends on what you call safe though). I checked out a website that lists all the murders in the city and there was nothing to the west and roughly 200 to the east. I'm sticking to the west ;-).

Old 12-14-2008, 07:56 AM

446 posts, read 1,561,754 times
What about Arlington? Courthouse might work well as you could be in a safe area close to tons of nightlife, restaurants and shopping in Clarendon. Metro-accessible as well.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:12 AM

3 posts, read 14,242 times
I would recommend Adams Morgan, Cleveland Park, and Vanness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC