Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 28,076 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I was wondering if any one could tell me if Odenton is a nice area? I am moving from Massachusetts, and I have been told that Odenton is a nice area. I am a single 22 year old, and will be commuting to Suitland, MD for my job each day. I would grealy appreciate any input from any one who knows the Odenton area well. Is Odenton a safe area to live? Or should I be looking at different towns closer to Odenton? Lastly, for those that know about the commute from Odenton to the DC area, I would appreciate hearing about that as well. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 03:01 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,687 times
Ugh, that sounds like a rough commute. Into DC then back out to Suitland area (or are you driving?). Even if you are driving you're taking a big chunk of the Beltway as part of your commute, which is always an adventure.

I don't know much about Odenton except there is a great Chinese place (Grace Garden) serving truly authentic chinese food, but from what I've heard I thought it was more of a family / residential area rather than a young single area. 22 and single in Odenton might be a bit more lonely than say 22 and single in DC proper.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:22 PM

83 posts, read 484,099 times
My friend and her husband lives there. Before she was married, she said it's really boring for her, being single and all. Her husband and her sister travel to DC for work everyday. They live very close to Marc, then took the train the Union station and go from there. It's about one hour each way I think. Her husband gets free rides, so it's not bad. Beats driving, but the ticket cost can add up as well.

I visited them a few times. It's not my kind of town. I am single, so I rather see places where I can go without feeling like I am being single out (ha ha). It has a nice mall and some restaurant. A huge military base there.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:01 PM

18 posts, read 96,818 times
Stick to the city, if you can. As a 22 year old myself, you'll be bored out of your mind in Odenton.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:39 PM

12 posts, read 34,908 times
Odenton is a good and safe place to be.
Not to high on crime.
however, as mentioned above, you might find yourself traveling into Annapolis, Baltimore, or DC for entertainmen. At least Odenton is pretty much centered between it all.

Old 12-01-2021, 07:17 AM

59 posts, read 44,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryland21035 View Post
Odenton is a good and safe place to be.
Not to high on crime.
however, as mentioned above, you might find yourself traveling into Annapolis, Baltimore, or DC for entertainmen. At least Odenton is pretty much centered between it all.
This sums it up quite accurately. I have lived in Odenton for 12 years. It’s nice but purely residential. You need to hit DC Annapolis or Baltimore to really have any fun, but Odenton is right in the middle of all three which gives it good value.

Old 12-02-2021, 10:27 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,386 times
I live in MA and recently moved back from Maryland. It's not a bad area. Not much to do, but not a bad area at all. Odenton to DC isn't a bad commute. I've done multiple commutes in the area as I lived in both DC and MD and commuted to different places at different times.

Old 12-22-2021, 10:35 AM

4 posts, read 8,985 times
I’ve been living in Odenton for 3 years the piney orchard area, I commute to DC for work and I can honestly say at first it was so boring no one wanted to visit they thought it was too far but I really love it here now! They always have nice community events, walking trails close to BWI airport & quiet and really cute hidden restaurants that are never crowded. The cons are it is expensive!! I am renting and every year it went up at least $200 sometimes I think it’s worth it but other times it’s just too much to keep renting so I’m actually thinking of moving and maybe coming back when I have the funds to own a home

Old 01-26-2022, 12:40 PM

59 posts, read 44,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessN View Post
I’ve been living in Odenton for 3 years the piney orchard area, I commute to DC for work and I can honestly say at first it was so boring no one wanted to visit they thought it was too far but I really love it here now! They always have nice community events, walking trails close to BWI airport & quiet and really cute hidden restaurants that are never crowded. The cons are it is expensive!! I am renting and every year it went up at least $200 sometimes I think it’s worth it but other times it’s just too much to keep renting so I’m actually thinking of moving and maybe coming back when I have the funds to own a home
Agreed. I’m right behind the Waugh Chapel fire station on 3 and Reidel. It’s nice but the prices are skyrocketing. It’s a sellers market. It should improve in a year or two. This area is nice and convenient. It’s also a nice “bubble” if you like to avoid the big cities like Baltimore or especially the politics of DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC